News   Jul 17, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 647     0 

Blossom DORMANT (Sheppard e of Markham, Ballantry, 19 + 14 +9s, E.I. Richmond)

Markham road and Sheppard???

Goood, more development along Sheppard...

Well I hope it's a hundred floors high to justify the only new rapid transit line in Toronto to a corner with townhouses and a gas station.

You know, this whole thing about Markham and Sheppard not deserving a subway stop is rather silly.

The purpose of the station would not be to solely serve the immediate area within walking distance. It's more along the lines of... lets bring access to subway service CLOSER to a region of the city lacking in any real rapid transit connections.

People just assume Scarborough Town Centre suffiently serves the north-eastern end of the city. Well, it doesn't. Scarborough Town Centre isn't a DESTINATION for most people that pass through it by bus or RT, it's just a transit hub. Why should transit users in this end of the city be forced to travel as far west as McCowan Rd and south of the 401 to access RAPID TRANSIT. The same tens of thousands of people currently counted as Scarborough Centre station daily users coming in on buses would overnight be re-distributed to a station at Markham and Sheppard.

The RT extension would bring "rapid" transit slightly closer to less than half the people that currently transfer at STC, but it still wouldn't actually terminate anywhere worth terminating. These same people could see faster overall travel times with a Danforth extension.

STC may not be a destination for all of them, but it's certainly a destination for a lot of them.

A Danforth subway extension to STC would cost roughly the same as the RT refurbishment and extension to Markham and Sheppard. It would deliver roughly the same travel time benefift as the RT extension for passengers coming from the northeast, and would deliver major benefits for passengers from the east and north as well, who would get absolutely nothing from an extension.

There's a sales center type building recently constructed just across from the Burrows Hall Community Centre/Library on Sheppard at Progress Ave.

It's probably just the eastern half of the Sheppard/Progress/Orchid/Markham block, then...anyone got a city report link? Or has it not gotten that far yet.

Eww...But if you live here, you have to say you live in a building called Blossom

Maybe I'm just being closed-minded but I really wouldn't want to live in a building built to honor a mid-90s teen-soap opera...

You mean they should have a condo named for Danielle Fishel down on Fleet Street?

Back