News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 557     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 849     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Excellent!

Does anyone know who is taking over the Guess space? Or what is going on with Porche Design? And what about the old Jacobs space in the Manulife Centre. Its getting kind of depressing to see all of these empty storefronts along Bloor.

I hope Bloor 1 retail space is well designed but call me a cynic, I have yet to see well thought out retail space where new condo developments are involved.

Does anyone know who is taking over the Guess space? Or what is going on with Porche Design? And what about the old Jacobs space in the Manulife Centre. Its getting kind of depressing to see all of these empty storefronts along Bloor.

I hope Bloor 1 retail space is well designed but call me a cynic, I have yet to see well thought out retail space where new condo developments are involved.

I think for once, we have a condo where the condo itself is secondary to the retail. The value of that building is in the first 9 floors. The rest 72 is the filler!

The former Porsche Design and Guess spaces were intended to be combined into a 10,000 sq ft retail space. I'll have to see if that's changed and if, indeed, Guess was leased separately. As well, watch for a major announcement for Manulife Centre around the first week of June - not just for the former Jacob space.

Some popular mid-range retailers will move to the Yonge & Bloor intersection, both at Great Gulf's 1 Bloor East and Mizrahi's 'The One' across the street.

Last edited:
Just as predicted, the demand for the extreme high end retail @ Bloor is low, and will likely continue to be going forward, and hence we'll see more mid-market retail. I'm 100% Ok with that, I hope a lot of restaurants as well.

Just as predicted, the demand for the extreme high end retail @ Bloor is low, and will likely continue to be going forward, and hence we'll see more mid-market retail. I'm 100% Ok with that, I hope a lot of restaurants as well.

however retail retail-insider.com says otherwise.

The demand for luxury retail on Bloor is far from low... deals are at play for a few opportunities, including spaces currently occupied by more mid-market retailers. Luxury has gravitated towards Bloor between Bay and Avenue Road, though Holt's will make the street appear more luxurious at its end when it creates two streetfront luxury concessions facing Bloor.

That being said, some luxury brands on Bloor says that traffic is a bit slow and that Yorkdale's sales are generally higher - primarily on lower-priced designer product sold at high volumes. Bloor's foot traffic is less than Yorkdale but it sells bigger ticket items to a generally wealthier clientele.

Bloor will likely get Dior before Yorkdale, though that's primarily because of a multi-year restrictive covenant at the mall. A number of Yorkdale brands will also see larger Bloor flagships within the next couple of years, including Bulgari.

No need to write off Bloor just yet but as mentioned above, it would appear that Yorkdale's gain is sometimes Yorkville's loss.

Anything new to the market?

Each mid-priced brand I'm thinking of already has (or will have) either a Yorkdale location or a smaller Bloor storefront. Yorkdale is VERY aggressive when going after new tenants so in 2016, for example, the majority of all new fashion brands entering Canada will be through that mall.

Last edited:
I'm curious how do rents at Yorkdale compare to Bloor ?

Luxury has gravitated towards Bloor between Bay and Avenue Road, though Holt's will make the street appear more luxurious at its end when it creates two streetfront luxury concessions facing Bloor.

I imagine that the coming of 1 Bloor east and west will go a long way in extending luxury retail across to the Bloor/Yonge intersection? If only something were done with that Bay store!

It has been confirmed. COS is opening on bloor!

On another note. I'm presently in Miami. Just got back from sawgrass mall and dropped by the design district neighborhood. It just blows my mind how they have all these upscale stores. The design district has multiple stores opening at once. Crazy!!! On bloor we are getting COS. Boohoo.
I get it. Miami has tourists. Latin tourists. But R they buying that much that the city can afford so many luxury neighborhoods?
I just hope with all this construction on bloor and Yorkville, we are going to get some. I'm personally not a fan of yorkdale becoming high End shopping destination. We need it to be in the city so that it can attract more.

My 2 cents worth.

Miami is also benefitting from capital flight from all of Latin America. Safe place to park your money out of the hands of klepto-govt's and also a safer place for your kids, out of the hands of kidnappers. A lot of dirty money in Miami.

Toni&Guy is coming back to Yorkville, taking over the old Yoco frozen yogurt place. Didn't even know it was going out of business.

It looks like Kiton has opened? I noticed an instagram photo from this morning via @magnuscleaning of the unveiled shop.

Back