News   Jul 12, 2024
 975     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 849     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 345     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

I heard that Gateway newsstands was going to reopen in the Internaltion Presse location (same company)

Those are some quite wild designs. I hope the place is a hit!

Stollerys to close.

Iconic upscale men’s wear store to close in Toronto
Marina Strauss, The Globe and Mail, 4 October 2014

Some more information on the developer in the Toronto Star today...

Mizrahi Developments buys Stollerys at Yonge and Bloor
By: Ashante Infantry Business reporter, Published on Wed Oct 08 2014

Retail landmark will make way for spectacular residential-retail development at signature Toronto corner.

The southwest corner of Yonge and Bloor Sts. is poised to wind up in the hands of a luxury developer, signalling a dramatic shift for the site occupied for more than a century by Stollerys clothing store.

“Sam Mizrahi of Mizrahi Developments has bought and closed 11 Bloor St. W., which is the former French Connection building, and it is now commonly believed that he has also purchased the Stollery building and a couple of other small buildings going south on Yonge St. and a significant expansion off the corner west on Bloor St.,†Cushman & Wakefield vice-president of retail services Arlin Markowitz told the Star.

Full article: http://www.thestar.com/business/rea...pments_buys_stollerys_at_yonge_and_bloor.html

Leonidas at the Holt Renfrew Centre quietly changed its name to De Meersman. The shop no longer sells Leonida's chocolates.

Hearing some talk today that the Williams Sonoma store on Bloor may have some life left in it. Some discussion that there may be, after all, a lease renewal in January. Interesting development as they had been losing staff since they advised folks of the store's impending closing a couple of months ago.

EDIT: just received a bit of an update....seems the stories were true that WS was generally happy with the store and location but could not justify the new asking rents....so they were not looking to close the store as it does ok but certainly weren't/aren't looking to match the rents on ask.....landlord not yet able to find a suitable tenant who will pay the rents so they may have agreed to simply the extend the lease on a short term basis with a notice clause that WS would vacate once a new tenant is found.....or something like that. If I hear more I will post.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like bloor is doing as well as other major city streets. The asking prices have gone up everywhere except for bloor. There isn't much activity. Tiffany's is still sitting there, vacant and so on....

It doesn't look like bloor is doing as well as other major city streets. The asking prices have gone up everywhere except for bloor. There isn't much activity. Tiffany's is still sitting there, vacant and so on....

Do you have stats btw, I'd be curious how other streets are doing rent wise.

I don't think Bloor can go any higher rent wise, I think its probably hit a cap for what retaliers are willing to pay given the traffic they get.

That's not true. Rental rates have gone up to around $330/sq ft and landlords are in no hurry to lease their space out to just anyone. There was an entire article about that very thing not too long ago. Tiffany is a huge space for one retailer to take so either it gets divided or it gets configured in a way that makes sense to someone like Dior. Plus I'm not sure that there are an abnormal amount of spaces available for lease. No more than in the past, but I think this time around, the idea is to not go mid-market but rather almost entirely luxury.

Back