4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 664     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Too bad!! i enjoyed Malena :(

Yorkville’s Maléna has been sold; it will reopen as a new restaurant by fall

We’ve just received word from Maléna’s press camp that the popular Yorkville restaurant has been sold. The restaurant’s final day of service will be on Aug. 25, after which time owners Sam Kalogiros and David Minicucci will focus all of their efforts on their other restaurant, L’Unità (they plan to be open seven days a week by fall). Maléna’s new owners haven’t been revealed yet, but they will be reopening the space as a new restaurant in October of this year.

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do...t-will-reopen-as-a-new-restaurant-in-October/

Newsflash Cpancer, the US is 10X Canada's population. 10X!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're the biggest market in the world for everything and anything. In any type of business it has always been a company's dream to have access to the US market. Many US retailers that are growing are choosing Canada over Europe for their first expansion. If Canadian retailers can't keep up don't blame the shopper. Have you even walked into Canadian owned stores? Most of them are rundown and the companies take no pride in them.
Also, Yorkdale Mall has an entire division dedicated to attracting new stores and expanding whereas Bloor Street is full of different companies that own the retail spots. Another newsflash, the one and only shopping area in the entire region of Montreal that is actually expanding and attracting new tenants is Carrefour Laval, which is not even in the city of Montreal but is a suburban mall (think Vaughan Mills). It's getting more first to market in Quebec stores then St-Catherine Street.
As for the whole NY wannabe, what do you have to say about Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, etc, which are also getting several new US chains?

And in reference to Toronto being a Wannabe of NYC, it's so true, look at all the people, the buildings, all the new stores coming to Toronto....The people here may still be annoyingly patriotic but Toronto may as well be added on to the American border if more American businesses keep flooding into our Province & taking out the Canadian retail businesses that are practically hanging from a small thread of a business they still have.

Then Dubai, Doha, and every city in China should be considered New York wannabes. Tall buildings are an urban reality not some twisted desire to mimic NYC. Retailers that are expanding into Canada (and in particular Toronto) are not doing it to turn Toronto into NYC. It's a business decision to enter one of largest, wealthiest markets on the continent. The fact that Bloor Street stores continue to have some of the highest grossing retailers in NA (and in some cases the world) makes it a good business decision for retailers to set up if they can.

Newsflash Cpancer, the US is 10X Canada's population. 10X!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're the biggest market in the world for everything and anything. In any type of business it has always been a company's dream to have access to the US market. Many US retailers that are growing are choosing Canada over Europe for their first expansion. If Canadian retailers can't keep up don't blame the shopper. Have you even walked into Canadian owned stores? Most of them are rundown and the companies take no pride in them.
Also, Yorkdale Mall has an entire division dedicated to attracting new stores and expanding whereas Bloor Street is full of different companies that own the retail spots. Another newsflash, the one and only shopping area in the entire region of Montreal that is actually expanding and attracting new tenants is Carrefour Laval, which is not even in the city of Montreal but is a suburban mall (think Vaughan Mills). It's getting more first to market in Quebec stores then St-Catherine Street.
As for the whole NY wannabe, what do you have to say about Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, etc, which are also getting several new US chains?

Ok, well first let me correct myself. Canada is a wannabe of NYC, every major city throughout Canada wants the convinience of luxury shopping that Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen & The Bay can't simply offer. It's very tragic how boring Canada is with luxury stores, maybe because they're too patriotic to want an American establishment to settle into this stereotyped Country.

And I've taken Geography Thanos so ofcourse i'm aware of the population of the States but out of how much of that population can afford or wants to buy luxury goods?

And Vaughan Mills is a pathetic excuse of an outlet mall considering some stores in there are not even outlets to begin with unless you think Michael Kors lifestyle clothes is considered luxury apparently. I'm aware of Laval's expansion but they're still far from anything interesting that AGAIN American retailers can offer.

Any Canadian looking for variety shop outside of Canada, they don't even waste their time on Bloor Street because their still is no good variety, everything is so boring and so limited. And no i'm not the person who expects someone to walk around wearing 10 inch Alexander McQueen heels and wear a Thierry Mugler suit.

Has anyone even been to a Toronto Fashion Week show and see anything original presented on those runways? Like please don't make me laugh, I think every Canadian designer wants to be like Alexander Wang, Ralph Lauren or Proenza Schouler because thats who they seem to knock off from anyways.

Anyways I seem to have gotten off topic. It will be years before Bloor Street can have interesting shops for us to go into. But in the meantime i'll be going to Barneys New York and buy more interesting clothes that isn't carried on Bloor. So have fun with your Victorionix & Topshops.

Ok, well first let me correct myself. Canada is a wannabe of NYC, every major city throughout Canada wants the convinience of luxury shopping that Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen & The Bay can't simply offer. It's very tragic how boring Canada is with luxury stores, maybe because they're too patriotic to want an American establishment to settle into this stereotyped Country.

And I've taken Geography Thanos so ofcourse i'm aware of the population of the States but out of how much of that population can afford or wants to buy luxury goods?

And Vaughan Mills is a pathetic excuse of an outlet mall considering some stores in there are not even outlets to begin with unless you think Michael Kors lifestyle clothes is considered luxury apparently. I'm aware of Laval's expansion but they're still far from anything interesting that AGAIN American retailers can offer.

Any Canadian looking for variety shop outside of Canada, they don't even waste their time on Bloor Street because their still is no good variety, everything is so boring and so limited. And no i'm not the person who expects someone to walk around wearing 10 inch Alexander McQueen heels and wear a Thierry Mugler suit.

Has anyone even been to a Toronto Fashion Week show and see anything original presented on those runways? Like please don't make me laugh, I think every Canadian designer wants to be like Alexander Wang, Ralph Lauren or Proenza Schouler because thats who they seem to knock off from anyways.

Anyways I seem to have gotten off topic. It will be years before Bloor Street can have interesting shops for us to go into. But in the meantime i'll be going to Barneys New York and buy more interesting clothes that isn't carried on Bloor. So have fun with your Victorionix & Topshops.

You do realize that it's the retailers themselves who want to enter the Canadian market. That point seems to be lost on you so it's probably better to get back on topic and not waste another minute on your misunderstandings.

You do realize that it's the retailers themselves who want to enter the Canadian market. That point seems to be lost on you so it's probably better to get back on topic and not waste another minute on your misunderstandings.

Exactly, the problem is that there is not a lot money that goes into the luxury stores on Bloor Street because everything on Bloor street is BORING! That's to blame for your typical Canadian consumer anyways, the only reason this mid-range business are going is because people don't want to spend $5000-$10000 on a Dior dress or an Yves Saint Laurent suit. Which is why they will not be moving here anytime soon and those designer boutiques focus on clothing more anyways. Canadian consumers prefer investing in leather goods, that's why there is a Hermes, Gucci, Prade & Chanel (I feel Gaudi just by saying those names), Salvatore or Fendi could possibly come to Canada at some point because their clothing is reasonable as their leather goods, but Dior, YSL, Alexander McQueen? Not happening anytime soon people.

And in the meantime there are these stupid-high priced units on bloor street that don't seem realistic for these designer boutiques to focus on at this time. Everyone in Toronto is on this whole mid-range shopping fascination with designers like Tory Burch, Kate Spade & J.Crew...They can do business on the street or in a mall, because most consumers can afford it.

Retail stores are like trends...for a few years one boutique will do well until everyone gets sick of it and moves onto the next it thing...and where will people shop otherwise when they're tired of it? BACK TO NEW YORK CITY WE GO! Maybe Europe for the unique label names too.

There's an obvious reason why we don't have a Canadian Vogue, people....

Edit: I don't care if you're sick of hearing Wannabe because that's pretty much the fact about these major cities. And apparently i'm not the only who agrees with that, glad to know there are some realistic thinking people out there.

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic...

The Louis Vuitton store is really coming along. Hoarding is gone and the name is up. Any guesses as to when they'll open? Maybe September 1?

Let's get back on topic...

The Louis Vuitton store is really coming along. Hoarding is gone and the name is up. Any guesses as to when they'll open? Maybe September 1?

I heard from a rep that they might be giving out RSVP's to a grand opening event to businesses within the community. I'll get back to you when I find out.

What did you not understand ACT7? Toronto, and Canada, and 90% of the world is BORING because people can't drop 10 grand on a dress and because Mcqueen and Dior won't setup shop there. By that math, you and I are both boring and everyone on UT as well because we don't pay 10 grand on a suit or dress or anyother clothing attire.

What did you not understand ACT7? Toronto, and Canada, and 90% of the world is BORING because people can't drop 10 grand on a dress and because Mcqueen and Dior won't setup shop there. By that math, you and I are both boring and everyone on UT as well because we don't pay 10 grand on a suit or dress or anyother clothing attire.

Ok so you basically took what I said and generalized it. I don't think it's necessary to take my words and put them out of context. The point is a lot of these people have expected these big names before but like I said there are some labels that focus more on apparel than on leather goods. Dior, is a good example, and it's not priced at the same level as desugners currently with their own stand alone boutiques. Like literally you will only find Dior apparel starting at $5000 and moving on up. How realistic is that for them to move into bloor street anytime soon? it will he a long while before an interesting designer name settles down on Bloor Street but in the meantime Bloor street (between avenue and yonge) will not satisfy a fashion saavy person unless they take their business outside of Canada. But the chances of Salvatore, Fendi, probably even Leowe are good at this point...but for now, let these overrrated mid-range shops dominate the malls and perhaps Bloor street if they can get the space.

Ok so you basically took what I said and generalized it. I don't think it's necessary to take my words and put them out of context. The point is a lot of these people have expected these big names before but like I said there are some labels that focus more on apparel than on leather goods. Dior, is a good example, and it's not priced at the same level as desugners currently with their own stand alone boutiques. Like literally you will only find Dior apparel starting at $5000 and moving on up. How realistic is that for them to move into bloor street anytime soon? it will he a long while before an interesting designer name settles down on Bloor Street but in the meantime Bloor street (between avenue and yonge) will not satisfy a fashion saavy person unless they take their business outside of Canada. But the chances of Salvatore, Fendi, probably even Leowe are good at this point...but for now, let these overrrated mid-range shops dominate the malls and perhaps Bloor street if they can get the space.

I havent posted on Urban Toronto in a long time. Instead I simply read the forums.. but are you (cpancer) really suggesting the only interesting clothes can be found from 500+ designers? Also can you do me a favour and take out your iphone or blackberry and take me a quick pic of your walk in closet wardrobe?

Im glad i sparked you enough interest to make you conveesate ( i must be doing this forum some favour). But i don't to take a photo of my wardrove for your sake of critisizing my taste in clothes.

Im glad i sparked you enough interest to make you conveesate ( i must be doing this forum some favour). But i don't to take a photo of my wardrove for your sake of critisizing my taste in clothes.

I just think there are all sorts of weird and interesting fashion that is under 5000... Maybe not high end fashion but Adidas Originals Jeremy Scott collection is pretty dang weird and Id argue fashionable... At least its fashionable to ppl on queen street. Im not saying that queen street is a mecca of fashion but what Im suggesting is that there are interesting and fashionable clothing which doesnt cost the price of my hot tub.

Back