News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 665     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Doesn't Ralph Lauren own Club Monaco? It'd be nice to see them take over Cub Monaco's existing space. The building is practically a poster child for Ralph Lauren boutiques.

Oh I absolutely agree. But y did they leave in the first place?????

Oh I absolutely agree. But y did they leave in the first place?????

Not sure. They were in Hazelton Lanes I believe. The consolation prize was that they set up in Holts and The Bay as shop-in-shops, owned and operated corporately. The staff is RL staff and even buying from there it's an RL bag, etc. Nevertheless, it would be nice if they returned to Yorkville.

Not sure. They were in Hazelton Lanes I believe. The consolation prize was that they set up in Holts and The Bay as shop-in-shops, owned and operated corporately. The staff is RL staff and even buying from there it's an RL bag, etc. Nevertheless, it would be nice if they returned to Yorkville.

The nice RL is the black or blue line though, not the old fashioned stuff that u fine there.

Strange there is no Ralph Lauren stores at all in Canada. Toronto would be perfect for a RL flagship, since both Rosen and Holt's and even some Bay stores carry a large selection of RL clothing.

The people who had the Polo store in Hazelton Lanes, and the one out in Sherway too, lost their franchsie at some point in the 1990s, when Ralph Lauren was going through some financial difficulty and cut a lot of locations.

The old Polo store in Hazelton Lanes had a dog. Chaps.

Now that makes sense!!!
Ralph Lauren is doing very well now, so hopefully they'll come back, with all of their lines.

Don't know about tommy hillfiger, u can find in any mall, but would be nice if we get a Ralph Lauren on bloor. He's got some amazing stuff!!!
We had one a long time ago but it closed down for some reason. I've been to the one in bal harbor, fl...it was amazing and the one in Chicago is huge too with a cafe within the store. They have a French style patio outside.

Well the problem is that for me they are going to be soooo far away when I get back to Canada, and you know, it's not the same to have one in a mall rather than on Bloor. I really want a flagship store of those firms.

It could be very cool.

I think people don't seem to understand how extremely picky the building owners are about businesses that should and can afford to take over their units available.

I have a feeling Bloor street between Avenue and Yonge will remain as it is because it's extremely costly and the only way they will produce traffic is if they can do as much sales as LV can, i've heard so many complaints from other retail managers about how rediculous and rude some of the unit owners are...

Bloor Street has a pickle up it's butt. it's so picky about everything unlike New York. It's no wonder they choose malls over THAT street even if they could afford it they don't want anything to do with the rude unit owners.

Toronto will always be the Wannabe of New York.

I think people don't seem to understand how extremely picky the building owners are about businesses that should and can afford to take over their units available.

I have a feeling Bloor street between Avenue and Yonge will remain as it is because it's extremely costly and the only way they will produce traffic is if they can do as much sales as LV can, i've heard so many complaints from other retail managers about how rediculous and rude some of the unit owners are...

Bloor Street has a pickle up it's butt. it's so picky about everything unlike New York. It's no wonder they choose malls over THAT street even if they could afford it they don't want anything to do with the rude unit owners.

Toronto will always be the Wannabe of New York.

Whoa, easy dude. I don't think major retailers are hyper-sensitive to landlords who may not be overly polite. It's a business running a building and if landlords are being picky about who sets up it's probably because they don't want a short-term commitment from some fly-by-night retailer. A good chunk of the reason, brands choose to set up in malls over Bloor isn't because of the price (Yorkdale is almost the same as Bloor for annual rent). Malls can be a safer bet where there is very high foot traffic year round (Canada's a cold country after all).

The comments that Toronto is a NY wannabe is getting a little old. It's outsiders who tend to make this absurd claim based on some false notion about how they think the people of this city feel. To this day, I've never actually heard a single Torontonian say that Toronto IS or WANTS TO BE like NYC. The fact that Bloor Street is the equivalent to 5th Ave in Canada is a perfectly reasonable statement. It's a reference point, not an absolute comparison.

I so agree with u ACT7! Every time a store, or a resto or anything opens up in Toronto some people make that "wannabe NY" comment. I don't even know what it means. I read the same comment when weslodge and la societe on bloor opened up. Didnt balthazar in NYC copy it after the famous Le Lipp in paris??? So!!! How come they dont say nyc is a paris wannabe??? Toronto should stop opening restaurants or international stores. We should keep eating at Tim hortons and Swiss chalet. Then we won't be wannabes anymore......!!!!
Hilarious!!!!

Ok, we don't live in Sudbury, practically all the malls that carry luxury designers exist in DT or the GTA (With the exception of other provinces and Montreal), our climate is almost no different from New York, it's just the customers are seasonal-minded and only look out for safe & practical clothes to wear or something a celebrity wears. I am definetely not disagreeing with you about the reasons why designers choose malls over streets...I mean Yorkdale had Michael Kors, Burberry, & Hugo Boss Black first right?

But peoples expectations of Bloor Street of having all these great names is way too high for it to happen anytime soon, i'm not saying we won't get them on that street yet. But maybe that will all change when Nordstrom and the 500,000 sqft american outlet mall set up that can all change very quickly.

Another thing, why aren't designer boutiques that carry business attire not in the financial district? That Brooks Brothers location in the RBC plaza is like the 2nd highest grossing in the world just under NYC location. And no, not all their suits ARE CHEAP! They generally range anywhere from $1000-4000 + Made to Measure & Black Fleece Collection.

And in reference to Toronto being a Wannabe of NYC, it's so true, look at all the people, the buildings, all the new stores coming to Toronto....The people here may still be annoyingly patriotic but Toronto may as well be added on to the American border if more American businesses keep flooding into our Province & taking out the Canadian retail businesses that are practically hanging from a small thread of a business they still have.

Last edited:
Retailers from all around the world are coming to Toronto, not just from the USA. They want our money baby!

Retailers from all around the world are coming to Toronto, not just from the USA. They want our money baby!

You're absolutely right, it's true. But a majority of the business are American, any European business that goes international will go to American before Canada as well keep in mind. Canada is simply the extra add on of income to those businesses that are already making an extraordinary amount of money in the States. Canada simply just gets greedy when the States gets something we desire.

Can this threaad be moderated?
Can we keep to chatting about openings in the Bloor Yorkville area, some speculation about new stores and news on renovations and closings?

Even the: I want a X+Y store on Bloor, is kinda pointless IMO.

Fair enough about sticking to Bloor-Yorkville stores in this thread, but I don't see a reason to ask people to refrain from "I want X+Y store" dreaming. The USA Wannabe stuff is tired and boring though, and would be best in another thread… which I would never visit.

Back