News   Apr 24, 2024
 969     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

David Rocco Bar Aperitivo (wine bar) will be opening at 95 Cumberland Street (near Bellair) later this Spring. The retail space was formerly occupied by HÖM Cafe.

Farewell to the Club Monaco flagship store at 157 Bloor St W. Some photos and summary of its time there in this article:

They actually never left; U of T currently has advancement and IT offices as well as classroom and academic offices in the rest of the building.
They left for a while. I remember a period where the back half of the building was the Ontario Ombudsman or something to that effect. It's U of T's department of classics now (which may move out when the planetarium proposal gets developed?).

There had been talk briefly a long while ago about having the U of T Art Centre move into the Club Monaco space, to make a sort of cultural hub on that corner with the ROM and Gardiner museum also there. Not sure why they didn't go through. Possibly complications with Victoria University (which owns the building).

Share some stories please - don't tease!
Yes, do tell.
Strangely I don't think I've ever set foot in the Club Monaco section. Did it look like a typical Club Monaco inside or did it maintain some of the building's heritage elements?

Yes, do tell.
Strangely I don't think I've ever set foot in the Club Monaco section. Did it look like a typical Club Monaco inside or did it maintain some of the building's heritage elements?
Let's just say that, for a certain then-owner of that company, it's a good thing smart phones weren't around then. Lots of after-hours client event hijinks and bacchanalia, a *lot* of good times. That stretch of Bloor to Bedford, which then included Bedford Ballroom, was an absolute blast in the late '90s, Yorkville too (WC Fields', etc.). One thing they could probably never get away with now: the girls who were the first group of hires had to present a modeling/photo portfolio. JM personally approved each one.

And yes, when the store opened many of the original tiling, columns and other fixtures were maintained to the highest degree possible. It did not look like any other of the stores I visited as part of the training process and you can tell they spared no expense. It's a testament actually to how well it was designed that up until the end the store did not appear fundamentally different than when I was there 25 years ago. When I saw the Retail Insider story about its closing I was shocked actually at how *little* changed it was. A lot of the work in the store actually took place behind the scenes, in the lower level stockrooms, storage areas and staff room that led from a hallway from the old CMX on the lower level. An entire area was dug out in anticipation of the bar/restaurant that was supposed to be located there but as is well known that by and large did not pan out.

Last edited:
I seem to recall them renovating the men's section, which was in the basement (and apparently used to be a pool?).

I feel like Ralph Lauren would have been a good new tenant, but seeing as how Club Monaco is owned by RL, that's probably not happening.

LCBO in Manulife is going to open in the enlarged ground floor space where William Ashley used to be!
A8B58014-E8D0-4874-A2C5-AC55918C55A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Back