News   Mar 28, 2024
 79     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 168     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Gap Inc has vacated thousands of square feet on bloor street in the last year (Gap, Banana, Intermix). Truly wild.

That's because they are very much an iconic staple from the 90s. Their style is overpriced now compared to back in the day.

I once bought a dress shirt from there and it set me back 70 dollars. I am all for nostalgia but they are pricing themselves out of business,

I remember being a kid in the 90's and shopping for clothes with my folks at the Eaton Centre, back then for a while Gap and Old Navy were still considered the "cool" stores. But the wave of fast fashion brands like American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie, H&M, Zara, Forever 21, Aeropostale, Uniqlo, etc gradually emerged in the market. While the Gap kept getting buried behind and quickly became forgotten.

I remember being a kid in the 90's and shopping for clothes with my folks at the Eaton Centre, back then for a while Gap and Old Navy were still considered the "cool" stores. But the wave of fast fashion brands like American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie, H&M, Zara, Forever 21, Aeropostale, Uniqlo, etc gradually emerged in the market. While the Gap kept getting buried behind and quickly became forgotten.

The Gap is simply overpriced now for what you get. $100+ for a pair of jeans, $70+ for a dress shirt.

They have nice clothes BUT they are pricing themselves out of existance sort of like Jean Machine did.

They often had 40% off sales though. I bought three jeans for about $45 each at The Gap last year.

A lot of these brands rely too much on sales/discounts to move merchandise. I still get emails bi-weekly from Abercrombie for deals after deals throughout the year, even when there's no festivity happening. They'll do markdowns where you can get reasonable T-shirts for around $12, if you do the in-store pickup option. I think the emergence of H&M and Zara over a decade ago, and Uniqlo more recently, has overtaken the market for fast fashion and relegated the popularity of everyone else before them.

A lot of these brands rely too much on sales/discounts to move merchandise. I still get emails bi-weekly from Abercrombie for deals after deals throughout the year, even when there's no festivity happening. They'll do markdowns where you can get reasonable T-shirts for around $12, if you do the in-store pickup option. I think the emergence of H&M and Zara over a decade ago, and Uniqlo more recently, has overtaken the market for fast fashion and relegated the popularity of everyone else before them.
I don't think it's relegated their popularity as much as societal changes have. Fast fashion's often cheaper, and with a stagnant middle class that puts more emphasis on clothing expenditures. In addition, generations grow up, and the places still doing well are the places that seem to target a much wider age range or more conservative styles. The GAP offers a wider/blander range, but their prices aren't as pandemic-friendly as others. I think of places like Randy River for an idea of how failing to grow older with your clientele leaves you in the dust (if Guy Fieri isn't your only client).

SEE Eyewear at 153 Cumberland Street has closed, their only Canadian storefront. Prior to the pandemic they were actually looking at further expansion, including another urban location along Queen West.

The new Polestar car showroom that opened near the end of 2020 at Yorkville Village:

20210101_131302.jpg
20210101_131323.jpg

Aesop is opening in the podium of the new condo at Cumberland and Belair.

I presume this is a reference to the second, smaller retail unit at Minto Yorkville Park? Tokyo Smoke has the big unit, sadly.

Back