News   Apr 16, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     5 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Correct. I was told that when I was hired as part of the first crop of employees when the store opened in April 1996, and I was an undergrad at U of T at the time. Used to hold the Household Sciences facility. Some fun facts about the place:

- the former CMX section at the lower level was a swimming pool
- Club Monaco tried to get the top floor for offices/store expansion for years but it was apparently prohibitively expensive to renovate
- they spent years and a ton of money for an elevator between floors but in the three years I worked there it was never operational
- a restaurant/bar was supposed to go in the bottom, with the entrance being a staircase facing Queen's Park Crescent, but I don't think anything came of it. I worked the stockroom and there were several anterooms in the basement/sub-basement (the place was a labyrinth) that were emptied out in preparation for it but I don't think Club Monaco/Mimran could make it work
- speaking of Mimran...hoo boy some stories I can tell of after-hours client events....

Correct. I was told that when I was hired as part of the first crop of employees when the store opened in April 1996, and I was an undergrad at U of T at the time. Used to hold the Household Sciences facility. Some fun facts about the place:

- the former CMX section at the lower level was a swimming pool
- Club Monaco tried to get the top floor for offices/store expansion for years but it was apparently prohibitively expensive to renovate
- they spent years and a ton of money for an elevator between floors but in the three years I worked there it was never operational
- a restaurant/bar was supposed to go in the bottom, with the entrance being a staircase facing Queen's Park Crescent, but I don't think anything came of it. I worked the stockroom and there were several anterooms in the basement/sub-basement (the place was a labyrinth) that were emptied out in preparation for it but I don't think Club Monaco/Mimran could make it work
- speaking of Mimran...hoo boy some stories I can tell of after-hours client events....

Ty;

And please go on about these events.............LOL

The 3 storey Victorinox store at 95A Bloor St W, (corner of St. Thomas) has closed.

The Gap are closing their 3-storey Toronto flagship store at Bay & Bloor at the end of January 2021. They've been located there since November of 1999.

Luxury Multi-Brand Retailer ‘The Webster’ to Open 1st Canadian Store in Toronto’s Yorkville Neighbourhood

December 15, 2020

Miami-based multi-brand luxury retailer The Webster will open its first Canadian storefront in July of 2021 in Toronto’s affluent Yorkville neighbourhood. The Webster is expected to disrupt luxury retailing in the city with an innovate strategy that includes one-on-one clienteling and a selection of luxury goods that in some instances are not sold elsewhere.

The Webster’s Toronto store will span about 6,500 square feet in a heritage building at 121 Scollard Street near the corner of Hazelton Avenue. The building was built in 1884 by Leeds Sheppard and it will be preserved and designed by Stéphane Parmentier, a Parisian interior designer who is also the creative director of The Webster Home vertical.

The Scollard Street store will be The Webster’s eighth retail store and the brand’s first outside of the United States.

----------
The Webster is expected to take some market share from retailers such as Holt Renfrew and Saks Fifth Avenue — some of the same brands are carried at those stores, with The Webster boasting a unique assortment not found elsewhere. Founder Laure Heriard Dubreuil for years developed relationships with key brands and obtains some merchandise via consignment. Prior to founding The Webster, Ms. Heriard Dubreuil lived in Paris and worked as a top merchandiser for Balenciaga and Yves Saint Laurent.

More than 100 of the industry’s leading fashion designers are available at The Webster stores including ready-to-wear for women, men, and kids. Brands include Alexander Wang, Amiri, Amina Muaddi, Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, Burberry, Celine, Chanel, Chloé, Dior, Dries Van Noten, Fendi, Fear of God, Givenchy, Gucci, Heron Preston, Jacquemus, Khaite, LaQuan Smith, Loewe, Marine Serre, Off-White, Paco Rabanne, Palm Angels, Raf Simons, Rhude, Saint Laurent, and The Row among others. A private label brand called LHD, designed by the founder herself, adds an extra element of uniqueness with bold silhouettes and playful prints.

----------
This week the 121 Scollard Street building was under tarp and construction could be heard within. An expansion at the back of the building could house a restaurant space according to one source, with the front of the building dedicated to fashion. It’s unclear what colour The Webster’s Toronto building will be — the retailer’s South Beach flagship and Beverly Centre locations both feature pink facades. One source said that the Toronto store could be painted gold.

Projected rendering of the store, although the final colour may be different. The article mentions it could be painted gold.

webs.jpg

Some photos from a couple months ago.

scollard.jpg
scollard2.jpg

Last edited:
Intermix at 130 Bloor St W will be closing next month. The Gap-owned multi-brand retailer has been located there since Sept 2011.

Gap Inc has vacated thousands of square feet on bloor street in the last year (Gap, Banana, Intermix). Truly wild.

Back