1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 939     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Today.
IMG_5490.jpeg

Toronto has a lot of "meh" buildings (I'd put 2 Bloor West in that category, it's not super offensive, but not spectacular). But simply appending some glass curtain wall on their bases like frankenstein isn't really solving anything, beyond perhaps increasing retail rent per SF and in totality makes the sum of parts aesthetically worse. 2 Bloor West was innocuously mediocre before - now it looks like two different mediocre buildings where the sum of parts, which is driven by the fact that the parts have no relationship or dialogue with each other, is worse than the architectural merits of the each individual part. Blech this is a dogs breakfast.
Manulife Centre, and the Yonge Eglinton Centre are other grievous offenses of this unique Toronto speciality.

Toronto has a lot of "meh" buildings (I'd put 2 Bloor West in that category, it's not super offensive, but not spectacular). But simply appending some glass curtain wall on their bases like frankenstein isn't really solving anything, beyond perhaps increasing retail rent per SF and in totality makes the sum of parts aesthetically worse. 2 Bloor West was innocuously mediocre before - now it looks like two different mediocre buildings where the sum of parts, which is driven by the fact that the parts have no relationship or dialogue with each other, is worse than the architectural merits of the each individual part. Blech this is a dogs breakfast.
Manulife Centre, and the Yonge Eglinton Centre are other grievous offenses of this unique Toronto speciality.

This is far worse than the Manulife redo - the later at least look kind of exacting and thoughtful; this is just a lazy mess.

AoD

I believe... someone has leased the ground floor only of the remaining space at 100 Bloor. I think it's around 6-7k square feet. The remaining space is the second lfoor of the old movie theatre facade which is now accessed via a main floor entrance in the lane.

I believe... someone has leased the ground floor only of the remaining space at 100 Bloor. I think it's around 6-7k square feet. The remaining space is the second lfoor of the old movie theatre facade which is now accessed via a main floor entrance in the lane.
Anything further on this 100 Bloor St?

Back