Bloor & Sherbourne, 1912 and 1984

simply Dan

Member Bio
Reaction score
1912:

77-019-06RosedaleBranchca1912.jpg

1984:

P01-1401BloorandSherbourne1984.jpg

I find it interesting that a black and white shot seems sexier than a colour one even though the building in question has barely changed.

Interesting how they altered the ground floor windows. My partner Ambrose lived on the ground floor of the apartment building to the left, in 1981. By then the place was rundown, the heating wasn't working properly, the rents were very low; it was replaced by a condo about eight years ago. And architect Uno Prii lived in the condo immediately to the west of that - his widow lives there still.

TD Bank owns the building on the corner, and the interior is horrible. The bank won't spend any money renovating it, though, as they are expecting the site to be redeveloped in the next few years.

I wonder how many branch buildings of TD's predecessors (Bank of Toronto-The Dominion Bank) are still standing (not just in the GTA, but throughout Canada) and of those how many are still TD branches.

My hunch is that the majority still standing are from the Dominion side of the family.

Back