786     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 265     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 669     0 

Black Lives Matter Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you kidding? HIV is not some obscure virus. It's one of the largest pandemics to hit the world in centuries. If someone doesn't know how it's transmitted by now they've either been living under a rock for the past 30 years, or they're being purposefully ignorant because they still falsely believe that it's a "gay" disease.

A not small segment of the population still believes that man lived during the time of the dinosaurs. Some even still believe the sun revolves around the earth still. And you think that HIV transmission is the information the majority of people will be educated about?

I think threatening a civilian to take their phone away if they don't stop filming is a much bigger issue than the spitting comment.

The latter is inaccurate, while the former is downright illegal.

A not small segment of the population still believes that man lived during the time of the dinosaurs. Some even still believe the sun revolves around the earth still. And you think that HIV transmission is the information the majority of people will be educated about?

Tea-sipping liberals in Toronto have a tough time understanding the reality of most Canadians' lives. Like most of us, they live in a bubble/echo chamber surrounded by people that are similar to them. They're blown away that people can't decipher LGBTQQIP2SAA, gender pronouns, or whatever the cause-du-jour is. The reality is that most Canadians never deal with HIV/AIDS in their lives and many would know next to nothing about the disease.

As an example of people's general ignorance:

In 1999, 27.8% of blacks, 23.6% of Hispanics, and 8% of whites (P ≤ .001) reported that it was “very or somewhat likely” that AIDS is “the result of a government plan to intentionally kill a certain group of people by genocide.” In 2003, 34.1% of blacks, 21.9% of Hispanics, and 8.4% of whites (P ≤ .001) reported the same.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3778447/

More than 1/3rd of blacks believe AIDS is a government conspiracy and you're surprised that some people think it can be transmitted via spit?

Last edited:
Tea-sipping liberals in Toronto have a tough time understanding the reality of most Canadians' lives. Like most of us, they live in a bubble/echo chamber surrounded by people that are similar to them. They're blown away that people can't decipher LGBTQQIP2SAA, gender pronouns, or whatever the cause-du-jour is. The reality is that most Canadians never deal with HIV/AIDS in their lives and many would know next to nothing about the disease.
Sorry, but you're the one living in a bubble if you don't know anything about HIV/AIDS and have no interaction with any gay, trans, Indigenous people, or other minorities.

Sorry, but you're the one living in a bubble if you don't know anything about HIV/AIDS and have no interaction with any gay, trans, Indigenous people, or other minorities.

And TPS is trained to deal with communicable diseases - partly because it is also a WSIB issue for their members as well. Generalizing a US-based survey (and we *know* that AIDS is by created CIA meme is big down there, along with what, 9/11 truthers, birthers, the Illuminati, New World Order, etc) to the Canadian context and then applying it to the Toronto police is bit of a stretch.

There is no need to "guess" - studies were actually done in Canada as well:

upload_2017-1-26_17-51-42.png

(p. 14)

upload_2017-1-26_17-51-8.png

(p. 15)

http://www.catie.ca/sites/default/files/2012-HIV-AIDS-attitudinal-tracking-survey-final-report.pdf

So yes, Canadians at large aren't doing too badly in that regard. Honestly though, this whole HIV from spit thing is but a minor stain (though officers serving in the DT should really be a little bit more aware) - the broader issue is the hostility against public recording of the event.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-26_17-51-8.png
    upload_2017-1-26_17-51-8.png
    70 KB · Views: 400
  • upload_2017-1-26_17-51-42.png
    upload_2017-1-26_17-51-42.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
As disconcerting as the AIDS statement from the officer was, the attempt to illegally get the phone video is more of a concern to me. Good thing that the witness taking the video knew his rights.

The incident happened two blocks from where I live in a highly diverse neighbourhood characterized by a high-needs immigrant, low income and vulnerable population: the homeless, addicts, mentally and physically challenged individuals, and the aged, who are often the victims of common street crimes. Many of us are afraid to involve the police. There are a lot of service groups and agencies, and the 3 safe injection sites are to be located in or close by. I'm more that a little concerned with the service cuts in the 2017 budget.

What first struck me in the video was the large cop standing over the man down on the road very clearly shouting "Stop resisting" after tazing the man, though the "witness" observed he was not (visibly or audibly) resisting. Then the same cop orders officers to "get that guy out of my face". I think that he was consciously framing the narrative for the video he knew was being taken.

If the police "don't know" the laws they are paid to enforce concerning the civil rights of "witnesses" and know they won't be disciplined (even eventually) for their behavior what motivation do cops have to change? How long will it take until citizens no longer need organized communities (like Pride or BLMTO) to defend them? The guy who took the video expressed his lack of faith in the complaint process. I'm looking forward to reading the Transformational Review Report to see if they saw this as part of their mandate, and what's going to happen when we get "Cop on the Beat Community Policing".

Imo the only issue was the conduct of the cops to the witness and the comment.

I dont find the treatment of the suspect to be wrong, you punch a cop you asked for it ...

What kind of glass is in the windows of cruisers? Why wasn't he restrained before being placed in the cruiser, or better yet in a secure transport vehicle? He apparently was 'known to police'. What about officer safety procedures, that for instance causes them to reach for their guns if they feel threatened (Sammy Yatim and Andrew Loku)?

I have a few questions about this incident beyond who was the victim. I don't think for a minute that the cops believed HIV was transmitted by spit. And I don't think cops were confused about the cell phone confiscation because they've been caught out on that before. I'm glad that the public got educated about it as a result and I think that was a clear attempt to intimidate the witness to "voluntarily" give it up, you know, be more eo-operative with the police.

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back