Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I wonder how much more expensive/difficult it would be to run the tunnel under the airport and into the park (with an exit at the airport as well) to allow for better access to Centre Island.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. Every project in Toronto needs bike lanes these days.

So true.....since I am someone who is opposed to the tearing down of the gardiner, I am working on a proposal to put bike lanes on it....it really is the road's only hope of surviving!

The Port Authority has now come up with a plan to build a pedestrian tunnel to the airport.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/644579

cd63071140ae81aa5e7666ebb771.jpeg

From the picture, you can see that it would involve taking an elevator at either end of the tunnel. I am not sure that this would be much of an improvement over the current setup -- and since the tunnel wouldn't allow for cars, you would still need to have the ferry as well.

Only in Toronto. This whole thing is so ridiculous and embarrassing.

It's a farce worthy of being lampooned on The Simpsons whereby Ned Flanders organizes an ignorant mob to protest a simple bridge and Homer retaliates with a plan to build an elaborate and costly underground tunnel. Hilarity ensues.

Honestly. Build the bloody bridge already.

Only in Toronto. This whole thing is so ridiculous and embarrassing.

It's a farce worthy of being lampooned on The Simpsons whereby Ned Flanders organizes an ignorant mob to protest a simple bridge and Homer retaliates with a plan to build an elaborate and costly underground tunnel. Hilarity ensues.

Honestly. Build the bloody bridge already.

I am sure they would love to build the bridge but someone of power has prevented them from doing so....so they are forced to find other ways (no matter how homerish you think they are) to get their customers to the terminal.

I don't get why Miller and Community AIR can't at least concede graciously on the bridge and try and work with Porter to reduce the impact of its operations.

Porter Airlines unveils upgraded Spectrum(R) seating

Porter Airlines unveils upgraded Spectrum(R) seating

Porter has upgraded its aircraft interiors with ultra-comfortable Spectrum seating across the entire 12-aircraft Bombardier Q400 fleet. Spectrum seats offer larger meal trays, built-in head rests, and longer seat cushions. The orthopedically-contoured and ergonomically-designed seats, made by B/E Aerospace, will be the standard on all new Porter Q400 deliveries.

Canada's Business Travellers Choosing Porter Over Rivals

Air Canada (AC.B.T) saw its premium traffic slide sharply in the first quarter, and WestJet Airlines Ltd. (WJA.T) Chief Executive Sean Durfy suggests the top 10% and bottom 10% of flyers have disappeared in the recent economic downswing.

That doesn't seem to be the case at Porter, a privately owned airline that was launched in 2006. Chief Executive Robert Deluce says demand for his commuter service on Bombardier Inc. (BBD.B.T) turboprops has grown so much he's adding flights between Toronto and Ottawa - the most popular route, and between Toronto and Montreal. He's also beefing up his New York schedule and says the new Toronto-Chicago route is gaining traction after a slow start.

"The majority of our passengers seem to be business travellers," he says, pointing to the rapid growth of the airline's frequent-flyer plan, which now has 200,000 members....Cameron Doerksen, airline analyst at Versant Partners, recently estimated Porter now holds 24% of the Toronto-Ottawa market and 20% of the Toronto-Montreal market.

I've definitely noticed an increased awareness of Porter among Montreal professionals recently. For a weekend conference at a downtown Toronto hotel, Porter makes a helluva lot more sense.

Porter's first service to another downtown airport!

Odd that they would start after the summer travel season, but I guess they'll kick off just in time for the back to school traffic.

Porter's first service to another downtown airport!

Odd that they would start after the summer travel season, but I guess they'll kick off just in time for the back to school traffic.

I'm sure they'd start it now if they had extra Q400s... I bet they're just adding new routes as each new plane gets delivered.

They have 12 planes right now which is plenty considering they only need one plane for this route. They waited out some of the business problems (not solved yet, but obviously showing signs that in 6-12 months the route could be established with the economy (slightly) back on its feet. Also, there may have been some Logan issues that had to be dealt with first.

Back