Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

None of this is being stopped by the airport existing.

Uhhhh, there is no housing on the airport site, there is no park on the airport site, there is nothing for nature on the airport site, nor anything by way of a tourist attraction.

Why?

Because the airport is there.

Just remember as people have said if Porter leaves the islands airport that doesn't mean that either or both WestJet and Air Canada wouldn't be interested in slots at it. They both have propeller planes that they already use in other locations and could just as easily fly out of the island airport as they do at Pearson. They could even nagotiate a deal with Metrolinx for the up express for transferring from flights either way if people are doing that.

Uhhhh, there is no housing on the airport site, there is no park on the airport site, there is nothing for nature on the airport site, nor anything by way of a tourist attraction.

Why?

Because the airport is there.

Which isn't stopping affordable housing, a waterfront district, and parks, among other things from being built in this city. The airport isn't the answer to any of those anymore than replacing the skydome with them would be the answer. Are you advocating for that?

Which isn't stopping affordable housing, a waterfront district, and parks, among other things from being built in this city. The airport isn't the answer to any of those anymore than replacing the skydome with them would be the answer. Are you advocating for that?

The government is not the owner of the Dome; but is the de facto owner of the airport w/the lease expiring in 2033.

Its much more affordable to establish parks (or any other desired use) on land you already own.

Also removing the airport (physically) is considerably less complex, time-consuming and costly than removing the Dome.

Further, we have a much larger, better, commercial airport in existence (Pearson)

Do we have a spare stadium for the Jays, of which I am unaware?

Replacing the Skydome with a park will give us 10 acres of parkland, and probably will cost $ billions. If you add CN Tower, we can use another 6 acres. The proposed rail-deck park was around 20 acres, with a price tag of more than $1.5 billion.

The cheapest and easiest way of adding 215 acres of land to the Toronto's park system, right in the downtown, is closure of the airport in 2033 when the lease expires.

In my opinion, it is the best bang for my buck : no acquisition, no major demolishing or construction work.

Attachments

• 1622922841374.png
    1622922841374.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 108
The cheapest and easiest way of adding 215 acres of land to the Toronto's park system, right in the downtown, is closure of the airport in 2033 when the lease expires.

In my opinion, it is the best bang for my buck : no acquisition, no major demolishing or construction work.
Cheap perhaps, but do we need more park, that's already surrounded by park on all sides. I'd sooner add 100 acres of park where there isn't park now, than make a massive park, even bigger.

Cheap perhaps, but do we need more park, that's already surrounded by park on all sides. I'd sooner add 100 acres of park where there isn't park now, than make a massive park, even bigger.

The Parkland Strategy issued by the City of Toronto says city needs more green spaces to catch up with the growing population (particularly in the downtown area) and therefore they are willing to invest taxpayers money into this (i.e rail-deck park).

A waterfront district or affordable housing (run by gov. - not developers) might be better. Of course, I'm running towards fantasy land.

Current line (5pm, Saturday June 05) at one of the water-taxi stations to go to the island:

View attachment 325520
Keep in mind nothing else is open at all in the city right now. All of the malls are closed, all of the museums, the Toronto Zoo is closed. Again nothing is open and people want an excuse to get out of the house.

Don't underestimate the value of large parks in urban centers. It is extremely exciting for many families and their kids to go to Toronto Island on a weekend. It is almost a vacation experience that most of them cannot afford.

Island was very popular and even more crowded pre-covid, I think the reason of the line-up is the limited number of passengers the water-taxis are allowed to accept.

Don't underestimate the value of large parks in urban centers. It is extremely exciting for many families and their kids to go to Toronto Island on a weekend. It is almost a vacation experience that most of them cannot afford.

Island was very popular and even more crowded pre-covid, I think the reason of the line-up is the limited number of passengers the water-taxis are allowed to accept.
That too but there is a lot of demand right now to do something except stay at home. Unfortunately we have to wait another week until things are actually allowed to open unless of course our wonderful premiere and his group of experts decide to do something else

The ferries are also under capacity reduction due to Covid as well.

Replacing the Skydome with a park will give us 10 acres of parkland, and probably will cost $ billions. If you add CN Tower, we can use another 6 acres. The proposed rail-deck park was around 20 acres, with a price tag of more than $1.5 billion.

So which is it, we need affordable housing or empty patches of grass?

Back