Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

- Just how much input do Toronto/Missisauga have on decisions made by PIA? An airport is an airport (and that means it's an arms length federal agency) big or small. The rules shouldn't change just because you don't like this airport.

- IIRC the island airport was built for military use, and in fact, was supposed to be Toronto's first major commercial airport. It has been around just as long, if not longer than most island/lakefront residents and surely longer than the new condo wall on the lake front. Therefore if Malton residents are forced to accept that they are living near an airport than anyone who moved to the lakefront/island area should also be aware of the existence of a small airport in their neighbourhood. They must also then realize that there might be some planes flying in and out of that location.

This argument always seems to bring up the who/what was here first game

This whole idea that the airport has expanded is also false. The airport still has lower levels of traffic than in its heyday in the 80s (the City Express). The physical boundaries of the airport haven't gotten bigger either. So what expansion has occurred exactly?

Pearson was built on farmland with next to nothing around it. As planned expansions occurred over the years towns in the area grew and eventually a city was formed. Few still living can reasonably complain about pollution or noise from Pearson, anyone who moves there knows what they are getting into by what's going on over by Airport Road. Similarly, Toronto Island Airport only became a commercial airport in the early 80's prior to the construction of most of the residential development on the waterfront (despite the efforts by the City opposing it) paving the way for it to become what it is today. Few still living there can reasonably complain about pollution or noise from the airport, anyone who moves there knows what they are getting.

Fixed your post for accuracy ;)

Don't you guys know that the rules only apply to sub-urban residents? If you live south of Bloor, you are in a special category. You get to live in an urban paradise and demand that all of the inconveniences of urban living be re-located away from you...even if they were there long before you were born or before your residence was even fathomed in the core.

Fixed your post for accuracy ;)

Commenting on an issue or a post, debating, pointing out factual errors and expressing different points of view is what a discussion board is all about, and that's a good thing. What is not a good thing is to alter someone's post, it's not funny and it's not cute.

Do not copy, paste and change one of my posts again.

Don't you guys know that the rules only apply to sub-urban residents? If you live south of Bloor, you are in a special category. You get to live in an urban paradise and demand that all of the inconveniences of urban living be re-located away from you...even if they were there long before you were born or before your residence was even fathomed in the core.

Yes, that is correct.

Commenting on an issue or a post, debating, pointing out factual errors and expressing different points of view is what a discussion board is all about, and that's a good thing. What is not a good thing is to alter someone's post, it's not funny and it's not cute.

Do not copy, paste and change one of my posts again.

sorry you did not see the humour in it.......but, since it is not against rules and I am inherently lazy....I am likely to re-offend....just easier than retyping.

sorry you did not see the humour in it.......but, since it is not against rules and I am inherently lazy....I am likely to re-offend....just easier than retyping.

People trust quoted text to, well, quote previous posts accurately. Seeing as altering quotes can mislead forumers about what the original poster said, it's probably best to leave quoted text as it is - humorous intentions or not.

I can't stand poorly communicated posts, so I see no issue with someone trying to clean up the mess. That said, the quoted name should be removed, since if you change it, it's not really a quote any longer.

I had a great flight on Porter to and from Chicago in August. The lounge is very nice, with free coffee and snacks. Only change was the US$110 cab fare from Midway to my hotel in Schamburg, which canceled out my $50 savings in cab fare from Cabbagetown to Pearson.

Friday was Porter's third birthday

Porter Airlines is celebrating its third anniversary today, having operated over 32,000 flights...In the past year, the airline expanded its fleet and is now flying 15 Bombardier Q400 aircraft, up from six. Porter now serves 11 destinations across Canada and the United States, a considerable increase from the airline’s single route between TCCA and Ottawa when the airline launched in October 2006. Additionally, the employee roster doubled to over 800, up from 400 in October 2008.

Over the course of 32,000 flights, there would have been 2,240,000 seats available to be sold.

I think that they have done quite well for three years old and in the face of considerable opposition.

Interestingly enough there was a plan to build a new waterfront airport on the eastern portlands that failed. It would have put the airport "a mile away from the foot of Coxwell Avenue"

http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=2069547&p=1

Not so much the STOLPort near Coxwell, but the rest of the Harbor City proposal seems pretty neat to me. I would love to see YTZ closed down to add what could, if done right, be an incredibly dense and dynamic district only meters from the CBD. If you take an area bordered by Ontario place, the Islands, the Leslie Spit, Coxwell & Lakeshore and the existing waterfront you get about 24 km2 of area. Assuming any development should have something like 40% of its area dedicated to roads, parks, public spaces, water features and other infrastructure that brings you down to 14-15km2. I don't know what the appropriate density figure would be, but let's say 10k/km2, that should imply something like 150k residents added downtown. It could be built from the ground up with 21st century features like pedestrian only streets, district heating and such.

Potential problems:

-Soil conditions. I have no idea what the conditions are in the harbor right now.

-How to integrate it into existing transit? The city's transport grid sort of ends at the ACC. We can't bring the Yonge line down into such a district. Stretching existing N/S streets down into such a district would involve some pretty heavy modification. Yet if we did build an area with 100k+ residents, some fairly high order transit options would be called for. One tram ending in Union's dank tram terminal probably wont do the trick.

-Shipping. I do see the odd bulk carrier in the Portlands, but really how serious is this? How much would it cost to divert this kind of cargo to, say, Hamilton or something?

-Islanders. Anything which involves changing the status quo on the Island's has problems. I'd declare them Kulaks and deport them to Moonbeam Ontario, but alas politics is more complex than that.

-NIMBYs. God knows why, but any project bigger than a lemonade stand will draw out all sorts of people complaining about new fangled electro-magnetic radiation and how when they moved there it used to be a quaint area. Moving 100k people into an area which was previously cottagers would sure as hell draw em out, and once again my Kulak solution is not a solution at all.

I can't stand poorly communicated posts, so I see no issue with someone trying to clean up the mess.

The content that I submitted was altered, it was not a poorly communicated post.
That said, perhaps I overreacted. I got the smiley but I didn't think it was an appropriate thing to do. Correct me, disagree with me - that's all good, but I don't think that changing a post to reflect a different point of view is cool.

Back