Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I wonder if they would have any way to combine the YTZ service with their Rapidair service (use Rapidair checkin and waiting areas), or will the YTZ flights from Ottawa leave from the gates way down at the end of terminal, and in Montreal from that other terminal that takes forever to walk to.

I notice that the Air Canada Jazz wikipedia page says that
Jazz will be operating at least 10 Bombardier Dash 8 Series 400 (known as Q-400) by mid 2011. Also, 10 CRJ 100 aircraft to be removed from the fleet by June 2010.

Not sure how long that has been there. I haven't seen any references anywhere else that they have any on order. Maybe this assumes that they will run Porter out of business by the end of next year releasing a number of Q400s for sale.

I saw that Wiki statement too. But there's been no other announcement or rumour at all. There was speculation awhile back because of a 5 aircraft order with Bombardier for an anonymous buyer. But that's too small an order for Jazz. And the whole goal of getting Q400s anyway was to replace the gas guzzling 50 seat CRJs.

I seriously hope this is not a re-run of what Air Ontario did to City Express. Came in. Undercut them. When City Express left, they halved the frequency and tripled the fares. I am all for competition, but how do you deal with a bully like Air Canada?

If that is their plan, I think it will be a bit harder to do than it would have been back in 2006. Porter is now securely in place with infrastructure and a variety of destinations. And a lot of goodwill.

I'm not sure Air Canada has the money to do serious undercutting for long (especially since it would hit their YYZ traffic as well).

Besides, if they plan on blanketing the market with flights, the Port Authority will likely tell them that many slots just aren't available due to noise restrictions. If Air Canada wants to help lobby to get those restrictions changed....

^ Haha. That creates some very interesting choices for the enviro-nuts. The best way to get rid of Porter would be to help AC lift the restriction on movements at the Island and basically allow an insane amount of activity for a few years until AC sinks Porter....all providing AC even has the cash to pull that off.

Interesting tidbit... before Wednesday's Leafs preseason game at Air Canada Centre, some Porter flight attendants were outside the ACC handing out leaflets advertising their latest flight deals to the fans.

I thought I saw security people talk to them for a little bit, but they were never kicked off of the property named after their biggest competitor.

ya that's what they do. Unless it's an event that involves schmoozing/talking up the product (like a gala or ball) they always hire models to do stuff like wander Bay St.

Porter airline to stay profitable 2009, expand 2010

Bob Deluce did an interview with Reuters today:
- not in talks with Westjet
- expects to stay profitable in 2009
- 60-70% increase in passengers in Canada over last year
- 18 planes by next month (up from 6 last year)
- 750 employees now, 1000 next April
- either Washington or Philadelphia by spring, maybe both
- no IPO on short term agenda

Last edited:
If that is their plan, I think it will be a bit harder to do than it would have been back in 2006. Porter is now securely in place with infrastructure and a variety of destinations. And a lot of goodwill.

I'm not sure Air Canada has the money to do serious undercutting for long (especially since it would hit their YYZ traffic as well).

And Air Canada has far fewer cohorts in government now, so they can't pull their old trick of getting the feds to suppress their competition for them.

Maybe Air Canada is backing CommunityAir! The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?
:rolleyes:

Maybe Air Canada is backing CommunityAir! The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?

Air Canada would like the island airport to close, so that everyone would have to compete with them at their base of Pearson, where they have the advantages.

As well, they want their own traffic centralized at Pearson in order to be able to provide connections. Empty seats on YTZ-YOW flights can't be filled with CLE-YOW passengers like those on YYZ-YOW flights can.

I think they should make that flight via Montreal and turn Montreal into a mini-hub as well. They could also do well with a Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec City service I think.

Back