Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I just witnessed about 10 minutes ago a C-17 (http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/aircraft-current/cc-177.page) attempt a landing at the airport. At first - it was pointed straight at me on the boardwalk at H2O park only to a few seconds later shift course. It only pulled up at the very last second about 30-40 feet above the water. What I wonder if this was an accident or a training run as these aircraft are capable of landing on the island airport. I also wonder if we'll hear No Jets TO complain about this, as it is a four engine jet aircraft.
The C-17 generally requires a 3,500 foot runway to land at. Given that the longest runway 8/26 is just under 4,000 feet, the wind would have to be just right to permit it to actually land. They probably wanted to land and then had to abort last minute. Quite normal, something pilots (especially military) practice.

If anyone is interested....I heard on the radio this morning that talk 1010 is running a contest on their web page.....the winner gets to be the first person to walk through the tunnel after the ribbon cutting and also gets a trip for 2 to NY on Porter.

If anyone is interested....I heard on the radio this morning that talk 1010 is running a contest on their web page.....the winner gets to be the first person to walk through the tunnel after the ribbon cutting and also gets a trip for 2 to NY on Porter.
I'm pretty sure we know which half of that prize forumites here covet more.

I can't see how it can happen without extending that tunnel across the airfield.

AoD
While a tunnel across the airfield is likely technically possible, can't imagine families heading to Hanlans loving the notion of going through screening at both ends. It would have been even better as a streetcar of course, with an on-island loop and maybe later extending through the rest of the island, but then why would families pay $20+ for the ancient ferries and the lineups for them?

While a tunnel across the airfield is likely technically possible, can't imagine families heading to Hanlans loving the notion of going through screening at both ends.

Why do you think a tunnel would require security screening?

Dozens of airports around the world have tunnels under their runways without requiring security.

Why do you think a tunnel would require security screening?

Dozens of airports around the world have tunnels under their runways without requiring security.
Yes, I don't think security is the issue. After all you can go to the island side of the airport now even if you are not flying....just line up and get on a ferry.

I think the issue is, simply, cost. It cost $82million to build the tunnel to the airport. Covered by user fees....so no direct taxpayer money (even a bit of taxpayer free gift as they took some services over with them that were needed).....but I think that is the end of the aiprort's interest in spending the money of the airport users.

So, I guess, if someone wanted to propose to take the tunnel further, under the runways and to the beach......taxpayers would need to foot the bill and negotiate some sort of shared use agreement with the airport for the section they built with user fees (of course, the taxpayer should not be surprised if the airport also says "shared use is not free use....so either pay us a portion of the $82 million back or allow us to charge people using the infrastructure we built for some otherwise unintended purpose"......the second option would have bad PR attached so it would likely just be a "give us $20 mil and you can extend the tunnel".

There is also a customer experience angle to it - I don't see how the airport/TPA would want, to be crude, the hoi polloi crowding out the tunnel they paid for with debenture.

AoD

I'd think there would be a fee for pedestrians to use any tunnel under the airport, so construction costs would be recouped.

As a lad I lived in Lewisham, SE London and used to walk down to the Isle of Dogs. There's a pedestrian tunnel there that has a brace in the middle due to WW2 damage. While there's no risk of aerial bombardment, I hope the Billy Bishop tunnel is further beneath the surface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_foot_tunnel

That's a long escalator ride down. How long before one or all of them are out of service? Everyone knows that escalators are the most complex machinery known to man and almost impossible to keep in working condition. At least, that's the impression I get judging by the number of them that are stalled for no apparent reason.

Front page story on our trip through the tunnel today: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/07/pedestrian-tunnel-billy-bishop-airport-opens-public

Bonus shots:

IMG_6239.JPG
IMG_6306-9.JPG
IMG_6308-7.JPG
IMG_6316-5.JPG
IMG_6326-2.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6239.JPG
    IMG_6239.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_6306-9.JPG
    IMG_6306-9.JPG