Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Maybe they tightened the scheduled mealtimes. I can't find that schedule right now, but they only serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner at very specific times. The same thing happened to my wife and I on a 3-leg trip to St. John's. Hours with nothing to eat except veggie chips because all three of our flights took place just outside of the meal schedule. The flight crew hooked us up with extra snacks, though.

The snack box service has been discontinued.
Following taken from the Porter Facebook page.

0StqMTF.png

Last edited:
Just took a Porter flight. The lounge was awful. Snack baskets were empty, the hot water carafe was empty and the cappuccino machine was broken. All of these little things add up :(

I'm not at all surprised. What attracted me to Porter originally was that it was a niche upscale airline. Call me elitist but that was the entire point of the airline. You'd breeze in through security, arrive at a quiet terminal and have a free coffee and snacks while you waited for your flight. Boarding would be quick and uneventful with only a couple dozen people at most getting on with you. Once onboard, you'd be served on like a VIP with friendly hostesses with prime level customer service.

Now With Porter wanting to fly to holiday destinations, the entire differentiating point of the airline is being removed. If I want to wait in lines with noisy kids and slow old folks going on vacation, I'll fly out of YYZ. People who support Billy Bishop Airport expansion seem to miss this.

I'm not at all surprised. What attracted me to Porter originally was that it was a niche upscale airline. Call me elitist but that was the entire point of the airline. You'd breeze in through security, arrive at a quiet terminal and have a free coffee and snacks while you waited for your flight. Boarding would be quick and uneventful with only a couple dozen people at most getting on with you. Once onboard, you'd be served on like a VIP with friendly hostesses with prime level customer service.

Now With Porter wanting to fly to holiday destinations, the entire differentiating point of the airline is being removed. If I want to wait in lines with noisy kids and slow old folks going on vacation, I'll fly out of YYZ. People who support Billy Bishop Airport expansion seem to miss this.

If the business model was based on only a couple of dozen getting on the plane with you.....it was a mistake to build the model around 70 seater planes.

The key differentiating factor in Porter's business model is the hub at BB....either that will make them or break them. Yes they built some niceties...but those are hard to do and make them scaleable....comfortable uncrowded lounges are hard to build into a model that hopes to have full planes.

Exactly all this. Also, their seating layout on the CSeries jets is tighter than the generous seat pitch on their Q400. Still better than Air Canada. But not by much. Soon the only advantage they'll have over AC is the $20 UPX fare.

Soon the only advantage they'll have over AC is the $20 UPX fare.
Some aggressive pricing from Air Canada will quickly close that difference.

If Porter does go bust, presumably AC or another carrier will take over the terminal and ops at Billy Bishop. I don't think there's any hope of the city or province bulldozing the airport in a Meigs Field operation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_Field

Meigs_field_runway4.JPG

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

view-looking-north-of-northerly-and-city.jpg

Last edited:
Ah yes, the stunt that made FAA change their fines policy when they realised how pitiful the ones for vandalising runways and stranding parked planes were.

Ah yes, the stunt that made FAA change their fines policy when they realised how pitiful the ones for vandalising runways and stranding parked planes were.

That really should have been an offence with prison time. Such nonsense. Don't like the airport? Go through the proper procedures to expropriate. Don't just bulldoze.

From todays' Wall Street Journal: Porter Aviation Puts Billy Bishop Airport Terminal on Auction Block

Sale Expected to Value Toronto Terminal at More Than $500 million

Back