Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Why not close the island airport, return it to parkland and move YTZ to Ontario Place? There's already tons of otherwise empty parking lots, no one lives nearby, the land is essentially unused for most of the year, and sufficient landfill from all the condos could build the runways.

Why not close the island airport, return it to parkland and move YTZ to Ontario Place? There's already tons of otherwise empty parking lots, no one lives nearby, the land is essentially unused for most of the year, and sufficient landfill from all the condos could build the runways.
Apart from the cost factor, I've long thought that YTZ would make more sense at Ontario Place. Not going to happen though.

It would likely also move the flight path of planes taking off and landing farther north where there are some pretty tall buildings.

No one is going to spend that much money, time, effort (EAs galore) and political capital to close down an existing airport, turn it into a park and then build another airport (requiring new lakefilling) on the site of an existing, arguably iconic public space just 1 km down the road. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from that by all sides.

AoD

No one is going to spend that much money, time, effort (EAs galore) and political capital to close down an existing airport, turn it into a park and then build another airport (requiring new lakefilling) on the site of an existing, arguably iconic public space just 1 km down the road. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from that by all sides.

AoD

I think Beez just forgot to use his sarcasm font.

So porter is bringing in domestic bag fees... Little surprised by this.

There is no real announcement, but it is updated on there website.

Sneaky way to charge for a fare increase but not call it an increase. Maybe that's coming later. (Noticed complaints about this are "now landing" on their Facebook page.)

Last edited:
Yea, it's usually easier to run a campaign against the status quo than for a specific alternative since, by specifying an alternative, you're reducing generality and reach.

In this specific case, though, greater specificity could help anti-YTZ groups. Pretty big chunks of the electorate don't attach any huge costs to having Porter on the Island. There was a lot of FUD spewed about the airport early last decade, and now about the expansion, but most of it was pretty obviously not true. Since fairly few people seem to see anything wrong with the status quo it'll be harder to get traction on a negative campaign.

OTOH, if island groups came out with some sort of alternative (broadly imagined), the debate could be framed in terms of the opportunity cost of this airport. Rather than holding up those stupid placards shaped like the C-Series' turbines (nobody cares about turbine diameter..), protestors could say 'we're missing out on X-billion of development activity and tax revenue which would come from building on these areas" or the benefits which would come from more parkland.

Good luck with that. That won't have the universal tractions some thing it will either. Many of us lament the condofront too. And now those condofront residents want to destroy infrastructure that pre-dated them? To put up more condos?

I'd actually support a closure of YTZ, if they had a plan that created a proper public space on the entire Toronto Islands. I won't support one that results in simply more privatization of prime toronto real estate. We already have one set of entitled Islanders. I'd prefer not to add to that set. And I'm pretty sure, I'm not the only one with this opinion.

Just like today. For every resident who is vocal about living close to YTZ, you'll find many, many of us that don't care (I live at Bathurst/Fort York and don't even think about the airport) and quite a few that patronize the airport regularly. If you are going to take away the benefits the latter group is enjoying, you better off something in return beyond more condos.

As long as it's not just empty park space. How about turning it into an events field, where concerts, festivals, etc. could take place?

That's just privatization in a different form since public access will then be contingent on paying for an event.

Back