Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Miller campaigned on closing the airport, and if now miffed that the Feds won't close it for him.
Several years ago he campaigned on this. He didn't touch the airport issue with a bargepole in the last election. He has clearly learned the lesson of that mistake!

Miller should follow the Heathrow to Paddington Station dedicated express train in London, UK. Last time I took that train is cost about 15 pounds each way, not bad at all. Yes, the London train has funding from various levels of government that Miller likely won't have access to, but that's his problem to solve. If he wants to get rid of the island airport, he needs to solve the problem.
£14.50 one-way last time I took it ... only CAN$29.50. Hardly a bargain!

But if an Heathrow-like airport link is the solution, why did London go and build a small airport downtown a few years ago, for exactly the same type of planes that fly out of the Island Airport?

And if you speak to people in banking, or law, or consulting, or accountancy, you'll know how many of them are flying free, or at huge discounts, on planes that are not full.
I speak to such people. I'm not aware of anyone flying free. A discount on an airline - say it isn't so ... the fare last night one the late plane from Pearson to Dorval was $59 (plus taxes) on Air Canada 3-hours before booking. And of course planes are not full - that's true on any route. What is the occupancy rate?

Why are people opposed to the Island Airport? Well, it's a blight on the waterfront in terms of nose and air pollution. It's completely unnecessary and has been unprofitable for its entire existence.
Noise? We've discussed that here, and that is completely untrue - where do people get this from? Standing on the lakeshore the Gardiner makes more noise. Heck, a bus going along Queen's Quay makes more noise. Air pollution??? You have to be kidding me! And not-profitable - is that why Air Canada is suing to get back into the airport - so they can lose money? Your arguments just make no sense. I'd suggest you research the issue a bit.

^ it's typical of the anti airport crowd, they jump up and down yelling pollution, noise, pollution, noise, not profitable!! with hopes that somehow someday it will come true.

But if an Heathrow-like airport link is the solution, why did London go and build a small airport downtown a few years ago, for exactly the same type of planes that fly out of the Island Airport?
Because, IIRC, Heathrow, Standstead and Gatwick are at almost full capacity, and thus another airport was needed, but was targeted at the smaller aircraft, so that a smaller airport would be feasible.

I see nothing wrong with having an airport on the island. The total (not per person/use) air and noise pollution from the airport is nothing compared to the Expressway and Union Station.

^ no no no!!! the airport is much louder than the Gardner and the train station!!!

Also, the sound of one hand clapping is louder than the airport. ;)

The total (not per person/use) air and noise pollution from the airport is nothing compared to the Expressway and Union Station.
Agreed - perhaps we should close Union Station, convert the railway tracks into condos, and bust through some more streets because so it's easier to access the lake :) it will eliminate the railway noise, and all that pollution from diesal trains. The Gardiner is ugly, but I've never got the argument that it makes it difficult to access the lake ... walking north from the lake, the Gardiner is easy to walk under. But trying to climb the fence and run across the railway tracks is a pain! (Though that new 10-lane wide Lakeshore that may oneday replace the Gardiner - that looks difficult to cross!)

I speak to such people. I'm not aware of anyone flying free. A discount on an airline - say it isn't so ... the fare last night one the late plane from Pearson to Dorval was $59 (plus taxes) on Air Canada 3-hours before booking. And of course planes are not full - that's true on any route. What is the occupancy rate?

Noise? We've discussed that here, and that is completely untrue - where do people get this from? Standing on the lakeshore the Gardiner makes more noise. Heck, a bus going along Queen's Quay makes more noise. Air pollution??? You have to be kidding me! And not-profitable - is that why Air Canada is suing to get back into the airport - so they can lose money? Your arguments just make no sense. I'd suggest you research the issue a bit.

I'd suggest you do, actually. Otherwise, you sound just like the people who were saying what a visionary Harry Stinson was, up to and including the day his businesses collapsed into bankruptcy. Perhaps you were one of them.

There are plenty of sources of noise and pollution around the waterfront so the issue is whether we care if there is more.
Let's presume for a moment that Porter is doing well, they continue to add travel destinations, more flights and more aircraft. Are we okay with that? Presume Air Canada gets into the Island Airport leading to more air traffic, are we okay with that? Ten years down the road could we see aircraft taking off and landing every five minutes for 16 hours a day and would we be okay with that?
These are potential scenarios which concern me and I don't think it's unrealistic to look down that road.

^ Oh Sorry, I didn't realize that UT was the Kingdom of AndreaPalladio and the Miller loving illumanti.

a thousand pardons :rolleyes:

Just curious, but has the city (or anyone) actually measured peak sound levels from the airport from the nearby residences on Queen's Quay? Are there similar measures for sound coming from the Gardiner?

I believe the airport has permanent noise level meters installed along the waterfront area. Pearson has the same installed throughout Etobicoke, North York, Brampton, and Mississauga.

A month and a half ago I was on an open-air harbour tour boat. Two Porter craft landed at the the airport right in front of us just a free metres away within 5 minutes of each other (they couldn't have timed it better if they tried) and I could hardly hear them over the noise of the boat's engine.

Back