Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

i guess the same question could be asked?

jets are forbidden by regulation.....not just the runway length. currently allowed planes, however, are forced to limit their loads because of the runway length. it is feasible to lengthen the runway while still not allowing jets!

Slow Clap...

As previously stated any runway extension would logically go west into the lake and not east into the harbour. Yet the fill will be going into the east.

i guess the same question could be asked?

jets are forbidden by regulation.....not just the runway length. currently allowed planes, however, are forced to limit their loads because of the runway length. it is feasible to lengthen the runway while still not allowing jets!

I'm sorry, you're right. The possibility of adding jets is certainly not the sole possible reason to extend the runway. And it's also true that there is no conclusive evidence that they're trying to extend the runway at all, although current explanations for the TPA's latest change of plans are not cogent.

But I stand by my assertion that current and prior TPA conduct would suggest (i) a potential desire to extend the runway, (ii) a need to take their statements of "intentions" with a grain of salt and (iii) a consistent desire to avoid regulatory scrutiny regarding expansion. But yes, "adding jets" is speculation. I should have said "increasing the potential list of destinations by enabling departures by fully-fuelled Q400s and/or jets" -- which, I should add, I might support if it were proposed and pursued in a transparent and regulated manner.

Slow Clap...

As previously stated any runway extension would logically go west into the lake and not east into the harbour. Yet the fill will be going into the east.

I would have thought so, too, but:

(1) I don't actually know whether adding fill to the inner harbour would constitute an incremental step toward extending the runway; basic math would say that any added land to either end would constitute such a step, but I agree that (from a layman's view) it looks like extending west is the more viable option.

(2) No one knows what the TPA's "next change of plans" will bring; perhaps they will have much more fill than they had anticipated (don't forget that, in addition to the 200+ metre pedestrian portion of the tunnel, the "pedestrian tunnel project" also involves digging a further kilometre-or-so for the City's water/sewer main project). Perhaps they will have the "new" EA consider whether to dump the fill not just at the east end, but at several possible locations (typically EAs are structured this way), including at the west end of the runway.

For the record, I, personally, have no horse in this race. I am strictly interested from a governance perspective. I have previously said that I see the business efficacy in the TPA's conduct, but I happen to think such conduct is inappropriate from a government agency. I have also said that I am ambivalent about the ultimate fate of any expansion efforts. I have used the airport in the past and am likely to do so in the future.

I mention the foregoing because there seem to be a lot of people in this thread who are defensive about the TPA's conduct. It is curious to see people who seem to have such a strong desire to cast the TPA's intentions in a favourable light. I struggle to see what in the TPA's recent history would inspire such confidence, and would appreciate some assistance in this regard.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody has commented on the stories about the ESR for this project and the objections. Reading the ESR, it appears that:

- the proponent for this project is the Toronto Port Authority
- the agency that must approve the EA is ... the Toronto Port Authority

Meanwhile, Harper tells us that the federal EA process is too onerous, with too many agencies involved!

So, let's say the City DOES want to object to TPA dumping 100,000 tonnes of rock into the Inner Harbour. Incredibly, it looks like there is nothing we can do about it anyway.

The City's objections are here.

I think Harper's reasons for gutting Environment Canada and the EA process are the same as the reasons for getting rid of the long census. Both provide public input and facts, neither of which allow messages to be controlled. If they want to spend or not spend money a certain way or approve or disapprove a business opportunity the main obstacle to doing that are facts and public opinion that are against that decision.

The point of incrementally adding fill is to avoid/defer the question of jets. Hiding from regulatory scrutiny is pretty disgusting behavior for a public-sector body to engage in, no matter what one may think of waterfront residents.
I wonder if extending the runway would help props too. That runway just seems short. (I am not a pilot.)

BTW, I hope they get some (quiet) jets eventually.

I wonder if extending the runway would help props too. That runway just seems short. (I am not a pilot.)

BTW, I hope they get some (quiet) jets eventually.

Please note that, in light of other posters' critique, I have previously amended my original assertion, as follows:

Original Assertion:

The point of incrementally adding fill is to avoid/defer the question of jets. Hiding from regulatory scrutiny is pretty disgusting behavior for a public-sector body to engage in, no matter what one may think of waterfront residents.

Revision:

I'm sorry, you're right. The possibility of adding jets is certainly not the sole possible reason to extend the runway. And it's also true that there is no conclusive evidence that they're trying to extend the runway at all, although current explanations for the TPA's latest change of plans are not cogent.

But I stand by my assertion that current and prior TPA conduct would suggest (i) a potential desire to extend the runway, (ii) a need to take their statements of "intentions" with a grain of salt and (iii) a consistent desire to avoid regulatory scrutiny regarding expansion. But yes, "adding jets" is speculation. I should have said "increasing the potential list of destinations by enabling departures by fully-fuelled Q400s and/or jets" -- which, I should add, I might support if it were proposed and pursued in a transparent and regulated manner.

Further up in the thread there are posts that suggest extending the runway would be necessary for a Q400 to take off fully-fuelled, and that it is this factor that effectively prevents Porter from flying direct to Florida (and other destinations of a similar range). There is also suggestion that there exist jets that, relative to the Q400, are (1) quieter, (2) have a shorter runway requirement and (3) have a greater range. I'm not sure if these characteristics are found in a single type of jet.

In any event, it could very well be the case that the jet vs. turboprop issue is a false dichotomy, and that both waterfront residents AND BBTCA passengers and airlines would be better off with certain jet technology, but are instead forced by circumstances to live with Q400s. Unfortunately, these are not debates that are had in public. Instead we are left with a polarized mess in which both sides makes maximalist demands, and the "public bodies" charged with governance either (1) abdicate (i.e. the feds and the province) or (2) take sides (the TPA and the City).

Please note that, in light of other posters' critique, I have previously amended my original assertion, as follows:

Original Assertion:

Revision:

In any event, it could very well be the case that the jet vs. turboprop issue is a false dichotomy, and that both waterfront residents AND BBTCA passengers and airlines would be better off with certain jet technology, but are instead forced by circumstances to live with Q400s. Unfortunately, these are not debates that are had in public. Instead we are left with a polarized mess in which both sides makes maximalist demands, and the "public bodies" charged with governance either (1) abdicate (i.e. the feds and the province) or (2) take sides (the TPA and the City).

It is absolutely true that the jet vs. turboprop debate is a false dichotomy based on complete ignorance on the part of the nimby's.

If you compare, for example, the Bombardier Q400 to the Bombardier BRJ "Jet" the only difference between their propulsion systems is that in the Q400 a turbine ("jet") drives a propeller (via a reduction gear-box) whereas in the RJ "Jet" a turbine ("jet") drives a high-bypass fan.

The high-bypass fan engine is relatively very quiet because the air from the fan provides a shroud around the hot exhaust gas thereby reducing "jet" noise greatly. As a result Turbo-fan engines are quieter than Turbo-prop engines especially on landing because when a turbo-prop engine reverses the pitch of its propellers the noise is very loud. In the case of Billy Bishop airport this can be heard all over the Islands and beyond because Prop-Jets are louder than Fan-Jets.

Furthermore, a lengthening of the runway would lead to lower noise levels on landing because full reverse thrust would not be needed in certain circumstances and Airlines avoid the use of full reverse thrust whenever possible to limit maintenance costs.

Last edited:
It is absolutely true that the jet vs. turboprop debate is a false dichotomy based on complete ignorance on the part of the nimby's.

You're missing the point.

Jets though quiet have greater range, which means more destinations, more flights, and more noise. So of course the NIMBYs oppose (quiet) jets.

New Porter lounge in Newark

Porter has opened a new lounge at the Newark Airport, near their gate.
http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/8...ts+Fancy+Free+Lounge+Access+to+Newark+Airport
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1028489/porter-airlines-opens-newark-airport-passenger-lounge

rsz_porterloungefb.jpg

^This lounge has been open for over a month now! I was quite impressed with it when I flew out of Newark last month.

I too flew out of it in late July, with brian burke on my flight of all people. there was some final construction touches going on at the time, but it was open to the public.

I don't see the island airport ever permitting jets. It's been a pretty firm rule and Porter's doing pretty well with the Q400s.
Not to knickpick, but the Pratt & Whitney Canada PW100 engines on the Q400 are jet engines. They just used the jet turbine to turn a prop instead of creating exhaust thrust. Beyond that, both turboprops and turbofans are jet engines with compressors, turbines and combustion chambers. If you think the Q400 is quiet, just sit by the engine when the propellor thrust reversers come on.

Modern regional jets are becoming as quiet or more so than turboprop aircraft. If this is the reason for keeping them off the Island then it's soon to be challenged anew.

Back