Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Re: jet usage -- I think that it won't matter what gov'ts are in power -- it'll depend on the sound/blast issue. What's the difference in sound level? I believe it's just too much of a leap for anyone to contemplate trying to push through.

Re: jet usage -- I think that it won't matter what gov'ts are in power -- it'll depend on the sound/blast issue. What's the difference in sound level? I believe it's just too much of a leap for anyone to contemplate trying to push through.

Many jets are quieter than the older Dash 8 100s and 300s that Air Canada formerly operated out of the island.

I can't say how STOL jets compare to the modern Q400s, though.

Either way, I think restrictions should be based on noise level rather than defining a technology.

Many jets are quieter than the older Dash 8 100s and 300s that Air Canada formerly operated out of the island.

I can't say how STOL jets compare to the modern Q400s, though.

Either way, I think restrictions should be based on noise level rather than defining a technology.

The logic of basing it on noise level rather than a defined technology is hard (impossible?) to argue with but having the restrictions based on a technology line does build a bit of public comfort over the restrictions. It is easy to point to and say "see no jets" rather than "see, no planes that, in normal operation in a test lab do not produce noise over a certain level".

As someone that grew up near, and still lives somewhat near, Pearson I can tell you that a big problem they have with the public is the perception that the rules around flight times, flight paths, etc are too technical and, therefore, vague to the public/laymen. So when I lay in my bed at night and hear a plane at, say, 3 in the morning I am discouraged (not that I would) from phoning and saying "hey, is that allowed". For me it is not a bother but for some I know it has built up a level of distrust/doubt.

In the case of the Island it is easy for them to just say "no jets" and as long as no one sees any jets landing there they are comfortable that the rules are being followed (even if they are not comfortable with the rules themselves). Since there aren't many (any?) jets that could land there at present it is a convenient rule to have. I also think it is why the runway will not be extended as it will open up the argument from people saying "see, this is the thin edge of the jet wedge" and would be tough for any politician to support.

I think the only way the runway gets extended is if a plane goes off the end of the current runway and the subsequent investigation says "this airport is unsafe without a runway extension".....and I don't think anyone wants that to happen.

Maybe they could extend the ARL go through this tunnel to terminate on the island instead so it can go to airports at both ends.

Maybe they could extend the ARL go through this tunnel to terminate on the island instead so it can go to airports at both ends.
That would be particularly useful for people to transfer between Porter regional flights and the various international flights out of Pearson. Unfortunately, making things easier for people from Sudbury that want to go to Europe isn't a priority for Toronto politicians.

At a minimum it would be nice to see the Bathurst, Harbourfront and Spadina streetcars running into/past the ferry terminal (perhaps circling the park and returning up stadium road)

Last edited:
I still don't understand why they're building a complicated underwater tunnel instead of a simple bridge.

I still don't understand why they're building a complicated underwater tunnel instead of a simple bridge.

Oddly, the original drawbridge proposal has the same problem as the ferry. When it opens for 5 to 10 minute periods, there would be a large backlog.

The bridge would only need to open up for boats occasionally for most of the year. While there are busy times on summer afternoons, most of the time there isn't a lot of boat traffic.

An advantage of the ferry/tunnel approach is that the taxi/dropoff/pickup area can be on the mainland without requiring people to walk across a 400-500' bridge with luggage. The shuttle bus could cross the bridge, but there isn't a lot of room on the island for taxis and passenger pickup.

So, if you include all the costs of the killed bridge and environmental studies, and all that, will this tunnel turn out to have the highest cost to length ratio ever?

Maybe not, but I just have to wonder. Cancelling the bridge was just so completely moronic.

if you include all the costs of the killed bridge
The feds ended up paying something like $35 million to cancel the bridge (because the city wouldn't agree to pay anything). It kind of makes you want to go into the non-construction business.

I could have not built the bridge for less than $20 million.

I could offer a pretty good deal on not building a new gardiner expressway. If they need someone to not build the DRL, I'm your man.

I can not build army helicopters for less than a million a piece.

The feds voluntarily paid something like $35 million to cancel the bridge (because the city wouldn't agree to pay anything). It kind of makes you want to go into the non-construction business.

Fixed that for you. There was no court order.

According to wikipedia ("I read it on the internet so it must be true"), they also didn't build a tunnel to the island in 1935 and the feds paid $100,000 to cancel it.

I had thought it was a settlement, cuz otherwise they would have sued. Is that correct?
I think it was all very complicated.

Construction had started on the bridge -- shovels were in the ground. B. Deluce had threatened to sue the city for $500 million based on investments/contracts he had made assuming the construction of the bridge.

To possibly complicate things, the TPA had settled a different $1 billion lawsuit in 2002 with the city, regarding a lot of the port land south of the Gardiner, which had been built by the Harbor Commission but transferred to the city in the 1990s when the Board of the HC was dominated by city appointees. That was settled on condition that they build a bridge to the airport.

I think technically the feds stopped the bridge construction, after the city asked them to. I'm not sure that there was anything the city could have done unilaterally, although I'm sure they could have made things really difficult.

Back