News   Apr 22, 2024
 782     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 665     0 

Better Word For Light Rail "Stop"?

I guess the old British term for a lesser station - "halt" - has lost favour.....

- Paul

I certainly have never heard my parents use the word "halt" in regards to a transit stop. But looking at the word halt I'm getting a German vibe for some reason. Which makes me wonder if it might not be better to look to Germany to see whether they use different terms for rapid transit stations and tram-style stops. After all they have a pretty excellent classification for transit (e.g Tram, Stadtbahn, U-Bahn, S-Bahn - all with fairly uniform symbols across their cities).

Eglinton Crosstown would fit their definition of stadtbahn - i.e has a grade-separated metro-like section but also runs in the street like a tram. For, say, Stuttgart's stadtbahn are the stations and stops described with different terms like bahnhof ("station") or strassenbahnof ("street station")? Or all simply bahhofs?

You're on to something. There are languages (German being one) that employ compound words that compress a whole thought into one word.

Is there a German word for 'place with obscure name giving little geographical context where one boards or alights from tram"?

- Paul
The compound noun Haltestelle. Boy those Germans love their compound nouns...

Bushaltestelle. Literally - bus stop place (Bus-Halte-Stelle)

Strassenbahnhaltestelle. Literally - streetcar stop place (Strassen-Bahn-Halte-Stelle)

Taxihaltestelle. Taxi stand.

Subway stations use the loan word “Station” which exists in English, French and German. So Ubahnstation. U-Bahn-Station.

That I know of, the word Bahnhof refers uniquely to an inter-city type surface train station.

Ich steige vom Bus an der Bushaltestelle aus. (I got off the bus at the bus stop.)

Last edited:
If a stop is something you have to enter whether it be underground or not can be called a station. Whereas platforms where you get to it by just walking onto it on the street can be a stop.

Back