News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 589     0 

Best Shopping Mall

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AnthonySun

Cool post. Makes me think you should host the annual "Mall Awards.

:)

Here's what I can say about the malls I go to:

Hillcrest: the renovation is really nice, and makes it look classy
Centrepoint: this mall is oddly popular among seniors
Markville: that little stream that runs through the whole mall is so cool
Upper Canada: just a really big mall
Bayview Village: the only mall that can compete with Bloor St.
Shoppes on Steeles: easily the most useless mall I've ever been too
Promenade: this is where all the spoiled teenagers hang out
Eaton Centre: a great place to walk through

To be honest, I only "shop" when absolutely necessary. I know exactly what I need, get it, then make a bee line for the exit. I don't find walking around a mall (or shopping district like Queen St. West for that matter) for the sole purpose of browsing to be enjoyable.

My favorite malls are the ghetto malls.

ghetto malls are good.

1. North York Sheridan Mall
2 Jane and Finch Mall
3 Parkway Mall.
4 Albion Shoppers world.
5 Eglinton Square.

The Hillcrest Mall reno has won both national and international shopping centre design awards.

2003423268746800622175.jpg

2003424910851265952758.jpg

2003428157906128133591.jpg

Someone forgot to mention Woodside Square Mall. Simple layout, not the best selection of stores

I always liked the original Yorkdale. Before they added the Sears and subway/parking expansions. It was a fresh 60's look. Especially around the Eatons and Simpson's stores. They had those great stairways up to the restaurants with the high ceilings.

I just went to the food court @ Yorkdale... good gawd, that has got to be THE nicest looking food court anywhere in Ontario! It's upstairs above Holt if you haven't seen it yet, simply genius.

Queen's Quay

I'll argue that Queen's Key Terminal is a mall. I like how they've carved out parts of the old warehouse to expose the concrete columns on several levels. It is rarely busy, which makes it less enjoyable, but some of the shops are nice - like the Bonsai tree place and the rubber stamp store.

Queen's Key Terminal

No pronunciation disputes there. :D

I like it too. In the summer (which is the only time I go there) it is always bustling. I think the renovation was quite exceptional.

I'm really starting to like Queen's Quay (the street)... the wall of harbour-style condos (whatever that means) is really adding to the atmosphere. With just a bit more work on the south side of Queen's Quay, we could have a decent waterfront.

Escalators and Shopping Bags

I vote for Sherway.
Elegant, comfortable, spacious.

Very interesting to read that Canada was once considered to be at the forefront of mall design. In terms of crafting chic, successful, well-engineered fashion centres, I believe the Americans now have us licked. Anyone been to the Somerset Collection in Troy MI?
www.thesomersetcollection.com
*whoa*

I also find Jon Jerde's "placemaking" efforts like Horton Plaza (San Diego) and CityWalk (Los Angeles) lively and interesting, though many planners and architects have issues with his brand of faux urbanism.

Example:
www.photohome.com/photos/...aza-1.html

Re: Escalators and Shopping Bags

We used to drive up to Sommerset once and a while to walk around and look at the rich white people and see america. Sommerset is the Michigan/Detroit answer to Bloor or 5th Avenue - and since Detroit doesn't do actually street shopping anymore, people drive their SUVs up there. it has a huge food court with a huge glass roof - but otherwise it's pretty boring standard mall crap. a fun moving sidewalk over 14 mile road though to get from the north end to south.

they spend and insane amount of $ on christmas decoration.

Pulling Up To Saks In The Navigator

Depending on your own personal taste, the merchandise and decor at Somerset could be considered boring I suppose.
Myself, I was impressed.
Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus, Saks.... wow.
And the design impressed me because it seemed so well-crafted and purposeful, expertly designed and carefully built with the singular intent of making those rich white Americans feel warm and fuzzy about spending big bucks. No brash neon or carnival-like decor for distractions. And I'll bet those Christmas decorations are *gorgeous*.

Re: Pulling Up To Saks In The Navigator

I see your point - and sorta agree. As malls go, it's nice...but i just don't get too excited about it. The department stores are nice, yes, full of nice things - like having 3 Holts in one place...but they are pretty standard buildings.

The christmas decoration are total Nutcracker stuff....massive dolls/puppets hanging in that huge space. america is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back