News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 614     0 

Best New Movies

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure I got the entire movie..lol

Yeah, it was about an evil oil tycoon.. but what was the message in the movie? Why did he kill the preacher at the end? Did his brother Paul really exist or was he Paul?

I left the theatre exhausted from watching the movie. The acting was incredible but the movie itself dragged on and I didn't get the message.

I thought the movie was about good and evil. ( compassion and greed in this context)

The preacher had compassion for mr.plainview, and wanted mr.plainview to find god. However the greed of the oil tycoon (plainview) blinded him not only to his acceptance within the town church, but also from the needs of his adopted son, and eventually led to his downfall at the end of the movie. His greed so deep that he killed a man (the same preacher that had compassion for him) over a meaningless amount of money required to keep the church afloat financially, that same church which his money had created in the first place. Ironic too that the money that created plainview's wealth was also generated on land owned by the preacher and leased by him [plainview]

The Dark Knight in IMAX. The best Hollywood film so far this year. Loads of Oscars nominations will come.

I've watched 3 new movies recently. Here is the order in which I rank them:

1) WALL-E

(gap)

2) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

3) Hancock

This isn't new, but it's a unique screening. Tonight (Sunday Aug. 24th) at 9pm the original horror classic "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" will screen at the Bloor Cinema as part of Rue Morgue's "Festival Of Fear". Featured will be a brand new print of the restored version of TCM followed by a Q&A by the master himself, Director Tobe Hooper.
You'll find me around the beginning of the line!

It's the holiday season, the film studios save the best for the last.

Highly recommended

* Best picture I've seen so far in 2008 - "Slumdog Millionaire" (seen it twice). Oscars will come it's way
* Gus Van Sant's terrific film "Milk", Sean Penn astonishes. While your at it, rent the Oscar winning documentary, "The Times of Harvey Milk" (DVD)

I'm also looking forward to seeing "The Wrestler" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", I'm hearing good things about them. Finally, I'll be out with bells on this week to see "Marley & Me" based on John Grogan's best selling book. The trailer looks a little lame but the book was sensational. It's the story of Marley, a troubled Labrador Retriever so I can't resist.

My to see list includes "Doubt," "Milk" and "The Wrestler."

I still recall the actual events concerning Harvey Milk.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a great film, highly recommended. This is a well written, sprawling story sprinkled with dozens of memorable charactors throughout and a sensational leading cast. Oscar wise, the brilliant & oft overlooked director David Fincher deserves an Oscar nod here along with a Best Picture nomination. Without a doubt Brad Pitt (one of Hollywood's most underrated actors) will get a much deserved Oscar nomination. It's a long sit (2h 45min + commercials/previews) and it may not be accessible to everyone but for those looking for a truly unusual story and a fine piece of film making, this one should not be missed.

It's the holiday season, the film studios save the best for the last.

Highly recommended

* Best picture I've seen so far in 2008 - "Slumdog Millionaire" (seen it twice). Oscars will come it's way
* Gus Van Sant's terrific film "Milk", Sean Penn astonishes. While your at it, rent the Oscar winning documentary, "The Times of Harvey Milk" (DVD)

I'm also looking forward to seeing "The Wrestler" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", I'm hearing good things about them. Finally, I'll be out with bells on this week to see "Marley & Me" based on John Grogan's best selling book. The trailer looks a little lame but the book was sensational. It's the story of Marley, a troubled Labrador Retriever so I can't resist.

Slumdog Millionaire swept the Golden Globe Awards tonight winning Best Motion Picture (Drama), Best Director (Danny Boyle), Best Original Score and Best Screenplay. More awards will follow with multiple Oscar nominations, including well deserved technical nominations (cinematography, editing etc.).

I just saw Gran Torino. I liked it quite a lot--Clint still has it.

Milk turned out to be just "okay". Doubt was not really as interesting as I thought it would be.
The Day The Earth Stood Still was pretty awesome though, despite Keanu being in it.

I'm really looking forward to 2012 coming this fall, I believe. I'm waiting for a real trailer though. So far only the teaser is out.

Of the three I mentioned earlier, I very much enjoyed Milk. I thought Penn's performance was top-notch. I still can recall the day that Milk and the mayor of SF were murdered.

I also got into Doubt, which also had excellent performances as well. I thought the film highlighted the single word title very well.

I guess I was in the perfect mood to see The Wrestler. Again, great performances throughout, but I liked the gritty quality and the sense of a little world within the world. Mickey Rourke was perfect for that role.

I must be one of the few people who has yet to see Slum Dog Millionaire. If it rains the rest of the weekend, I'll do some catching up. Synecdoche, New York is also something I want to see.

Reviving this ancient thread so I can hype a movie I just saw today.

"The Worst Person in the World" is a Norwegian Movie and would be a top film for me in any year (it would seem silly to say best 2022 at this juncture though that is true, so far)

First a link to the profile and rating of it over on Rotten Tomatoes:

I really enjoy great cinema as an artform; perhaps it follows accordingly that I can be a somewhat demanding/mean reviewer.
When I rate movies out of 10, I consider 'average' to be 6.5; rarely accord a movie more than 8.
Perhaps its simply the derth of great movie experiences over the course of the pandemic, but I was exceptionally pleased here and I would give this 9/10.
At 2hr 8m its not a short movie, but neither did I find it exceptionally taxing time-wise.

I won't go into at great length so as not to spoil it for anyone who may wish to see it........but a brief description and review follows.

The movie follows the life of a young woman in Oslo from roughly age 22 to 32, mostly focusing on her love life, but also her flitting between different possible careers/educational pursuits and generally
being indecisive and unsure of herself, particularly under pressure, or when bored.

The movie gives you a look at a person who to many fritters away good relationships and time and money invested in education with seeming whimsicality.
But it also manages to give you a sense of real empathy for a young woman who just feels so unsure of herself, of what she wants, and having perhaps a tangible fear of making a wrong choice.
It can leave you ready to cringe at her decision making and yet sympathetic with her at the same time.

What I love about a great movie is finding a window to see the world through the eyes of another person, and also another culture or place. I find it interesting to see and experience the world in a way that frankly, I don't.

The movie has some good post-card shots of Oslo, it gives you some real sense of the cultural zeitgeist there too..........
It goes that all while letting you see the world through a character w/versions that exist in virtually every society and culture.

The movie is currently playing 'The Varsity' with 4 screenings daily.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Avatar 2 movie, the new trailer of the movie is very good, I also watched part 1 of the movie on the app buraya

Last edited:

Back