News   Sep 24, 2024
 1.7K     2 

Best burger

M

michaelpfox

Voices: The best burgers in town

JOSH RUBIN
STAFF REPORTER THESTAR.COM

Whether it's from a city-wide chain or a neighbourhood greasy spoon, Torontonians love a good hamburger.
We asked readers where they buy their burgers and we were swamped with passionate arguments for restaurants all over town. Many were small spots which got a few votes from locals, but a few stood out above the crowd.

Lick's, a 25-store Ontario chain which got its start in Oakville, was a popular choice. Two others which received lots of mention were Scarborough's Johnny's Hamburgers at Victoria Park and Sheppard, and Etobicoke's Apache Burger, at Dundas and Kipling. Lick'sreceived votes from across the country and around the world.

Robson, B.C. resident Steve Hart longs for the days when he lived in Toronto, and could walk to Lick'slocation in the Beaches for a ``homeburger'' piled high with his favourite toppings.

``Being an ex-Torontonian, the one thing I truly miss is a Lick'sBurger in the Beaches. I can't seem to find anything with that flavour out here in B.C.,'' wrote Hart, whose words were echoed all the way from Europe by Vanessa Rueber.

Lick'swas the best when I lived in T.O.!,'' wrote Rueber, who lives in the Swiss Alp town of Verbier.

Some Lick'sfans bemoaned the fact their favourite burgers aren't more widely-available. ``Now, if I could just open one up right here in Moncton,'' wrote Luke Delehanty.

People were just as passionate about Johnny's Hamburgers, a neighbourhood beef eater's icon.

For Toronto's Al Nawaz Rajan, Johnny's burgers are just the right size and shape. Nothing pre-fab about it.

``It's not one of those standard, perfectly smoothed out burgers you would expect from a Harvey's or Wendy's,'' said Rajan. Nor, he added, is it one of those behemoths only a sumo wrestler could finish.

``It's not so thick you can only eat one bite before you're covered in juices. It's just the right-sized burger, grilled to perfection,'' Rajan wrote.

Moondin Ra of Scarborough has been going to Johnny's as long as he can remember, as has his father since coming to Canada 30 years ago. Ra says the burgers are only part of Johnny's timeless charm.

``Nothing has changed - same location, same staff, same ugly signs, same cheap prices and same awesome burger!,'' Ra wrote.

The east end of town doesn't have a monopoly on hamburger happiness, though. As passionate as some folks were about Johnny's, others were just as adamant that Etobicoke's Apache Burgers.

Former Toronto resident Irene Kahan wrote in all the way from Los Angeles to say she still dream's about Apache's thick, meaty burgers.

``I've been living in the U.S. for 10 years now, and no place in the States makes burgers like Apache,'' wrote Kahan.

Here's what you had to say:

In Richmond Hill it's Galaxy Diner, with a 50s motif and even jukebox televisions in the booths, and 'real' milkshakes in the metal cup with ice cream! In Scarborough - Shamrock Burger in Highland Creek, with their Whistle Dog and 'fat' onion rings.
-Heidi Kreiner-Ley, Richmond Hill, Jan. 24

I don't know about Toronto but the best burgers in Oshawa are served at the Oshawa YMCA snack bar.
-Alistair Thomson, Oshawa, Jan. 24

Harvey's is the best
-Stu Cooke, Toronto, Jan. 24

BBQ's on Spadina just south of Bloor, kitty-corner from the Univ. of Toronto, has the best burgers. For the price of most fast-food places you can get a real, thick, BBQ'd slab of meat with all the fixin's and great wedge fries. Every time I get back into Toronto to visit friends, I make a point of heading over.
-Darcy Gentleman, Tempe, Arizona, Jan. 24

Like many others, I've loved Lick's ever since I moved to Toronto but I also love Toby's, even though there are not many around anymore. Their melted cheddar cheese sauce is awesome.
-Brad Trenaman, Toronto, Jan. 24

The best burger comes from Steak Queen in Scarborough (Victoria Park & Lawrence). These guys know the meaning of a great HOME BURGER.
-Goretti Lopez, Scarborough, Jan. 24

To satisfy my burger needs I like to go to Betty's on King West. Try Zoulpy's right next door as well.
-Greg Van Bastelaar, Toronto, Jan. 24

I miss Lick's burgers so much! I always have the Homeburger with cheese. No trip back home is complete without going to any Lick's location that I can find. Now I'm hungry!
-Joanne Dippel, Calgary, Jan. 24

Lick's. Try their vegetarian burger!
-Francois Ouellette, Toronto, Jan. 24

The best burger in Markham can be found at Tom's (Tommy's) on Hwy. 7 just west of Markham Rd. The true test for the best burger in town - I asked my 5-year-old where he wanted to go for a burger, he didn't say MacDonald's, he said Tommy's.
-Steven Hammond, Markham, Jan. 24

Burger Shack at Eglinton and Oriole Parkway over Lick's any day. If 'ya gotta forget about the calories 'ya may as well eat the best burger & fries in the land.
-Bryan Grimes, Toronto, Jan. 24

By far, Johnny's at Victoria Park and Sheppard makes the best burger in TO!
-James Howard, Toronto, Jan. 24

Betty's on King St. East. Try it with asiago and Keen's hot mustard.
-David Turner, Toronto, Jan. 24

Sassafraz on Cumberland's burger is the most memorable I've had. The ambiance isn't bad either.
-Alan Williams, Toronto, Jan. 24

The best burger in town is over at Mr. Tasty at the corner of Royal York and Queensway.
-Nuno Aguiar, Toronto, Jan. 24

Apache Burger in Etobicoke is the best!!! I've been living in the U.S. for 10 years now, and no place in the States makes burgers like Apache.
-Irene Kahan, Los Angeles, Jan. 24

Licks is the only restaurant in the city that offers the best all-soy veggie burger.
-Jennifer M., Toronto, Jan. 24

The best of the best is at Johnny's at Vic Park and Sheppard. No tables or chairs inside, you order take out to the picnic table outside and eat. Yes, even if it's -30C.
-Nick M., Richmond Hill, Jan. 24

Apache Burger in Etobicoke!
-Ethel Farslowe, Toronto, Jan. 24

Being an ex-Torontonian, the one thing I truly miss is a Licks Burger in the Beaches. I can't seem to find anything with that flavour out here in B.C.
-Steve Hart, Robson, B.C., Jan. 24

The Tulip Restaurant at Queen & Coxwell consistently serves a wicked hamburger. Whenever I go out with my friends for a beef-eating binge, I know that the Tulip will not let me down.
-Herman Silochan, Toronto, Jan. 24

The Wheat Sheaf (Bathurst/King) makes a great burger.
-Tim Grys, Woodbridge, Jan. 24

Groucho's Burger on Bayview is the best. There is more food here than one person can eat, everything is fresh, and the meat comes from Bruno's on Bayview.
-Leonard Bulmer, Toronto, Jan. 24

Licks consistently makes amazing burgers, no matter which location you get them from. The secret? The Guk sauce and a great selection of toppings.
-Stephanie Brady-Ross, Barrie, Jan. 24

Wendy's hamburger is by far the tastiest commercial burger made. It is far above any of the other fast food burgers.
-David Shoniker, Kitchener, Jan. 24

Roxy's at Trafalgar and Dundas in Oakville.
-Ross Nishimura, Oakville, Jan. 24

Licks has the best burgers around - fresh and tasty with lots of toppings to choose from.
-Emily Huyssen, Kitchener, Jan. 24

At the risk of enticing hordes of downtown folk north, the best burger just past the Toronto boundaries is Golden Star on Yonge Street just north of Steeles Avenue.
-K. Ramlall, North York, Jan. 24

I don't know if I could survive the week without my Vesta Lunch hamburger every Saturday afternoon.
-Ryan Azotini, Toronto, Jan. 24

The Greek Texan is the best burger, period.
-John Sinclair, Etobicoke, Jan. 24

The burgers at the Dairy Freeze on St. Clair at Caledonia have been consistently good since I first had one there in 1970!
-Pat Naccarato, Toronto, Jan. 24

Hands down, it's Licks. I live overseas, and every summer when I go home, at some stage, I head to Licks for an awesome burger. I was told that Allen's had the best burgers in Toronto and went for a taste test. No thanks.
-Jennifer Kular, Budapest, Jan. 24

One of the best burgers to be had is at Hair of The Dog on Church Street north of Carlton.
-Nelson Coombs, Toronto, Jan. 24

Allen's on the Danforth serves the best burger I've had in Toronto. They're offered a la carte with the options like sautéed mushrooms and choice of quality cheeses (a pungent blue cheese burger is one of my favourites).
-Andrew Simpson, Toronto, Jan. 24

Lick's is #1!!! Worth the drive from New Brunswick! Now, if I could just open one up right here in Moncton.
-Luke Delehanty, Moncton, N.B., Jan. 24

The best burger that I have had in the city is at the Air Canada Club restaurant in the ACC. It's a bison burger with back bacon and cheddar cheese.
-Jeff Lobraico, Toronto, Jan. 24

Best burger by far in T.O. is Johnny's (Vic Park/Sheppard). I have been going there since as long as I can remember. Nothing has changed - same location, same staff, same ugly signs, same cheap prices and same awesome burger!
-Moondin Ra, Scarborough, Jan. 24

Vesta at Dupont and Bathurst has the best burgers, hands down!
-Jeff Hopkins, Toronto, Jan. 24

Everyone has their own little greasy spoon! I think that we should all come to grips with the fact that Licks is the true reigning burger king.
-Josh Hotle, Toronto, Jan. 24

For sheer taste and the unexpected delight of discovering such a taste in unexpected surroundings, my vote has to go to Jack's in Bolton, on the east side of Hwy. 50, south of King Road.
-Steve May, Sudbury, Jan. 24

Lick's 'Hulkburger' is the best burger in T.O. Two 6 ounce hand made beef patties. For the price and (taste) nothing else compares.
-Carvin Song, Brampton, Jan. 24

Not only does Scarborough's The Real McCoy (1033 Markham Rd., South of Ellesmere Rd.) serve the best hamburger, but their pizza is by far the best in the city.
-Lori Campbell, Toronto, Jan. 24

Chubby's on Islington at the Rexdale Mall. These guys are the best by far!
-Bob Smith, Barrie, Jan. 24

Starr Burger on Brock St. N. in Whitby. Burgers have been sold for years in the same location and are moist, juicy and lightly charred on the outside and patties are homemade with a deliciously fresh bun.
-Lynn Alty, Whitby, Jan. 24

Without a doubt the best burger in Toronto is available at Apache Burger in Etobicoke (Dundas & Kipling)
-D. Ball, Mississauga, Jan. 24

Rallis Burger in Mississauga (Shawson Dr. west of Dixie) is pretty good.
-Dave Moran, Milton, Jan. 24

The best hamburger I have had comes from Summerfield's in the Scarborough Town Centre.
-Ian Waite, Toronto, Jan. 24

I would have to say my fave place to get a burger would be at Licks - they are delicious! Star Burger n Whitby would have to be second in line.
-Lindsay Wray, Thornhill, Jan. 24

Best burgers in the Toronto area, no contest. They're at North End Burger in Whitby. Just ask some of the people other than me who think so, like Eric Lindros, Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk.
-Warren Miller, Whitby, Jan. 24

I still love the burger at the Hard Rock Café. The burger with the Swiss cheese and the caramelized onions. Mmmmmmm.
-Gottfried Pflugbeil, Oakville, Jan. 24

The best burger in T.O is definitely at The Tulip on Queen St. East. Homemade. Juicy. Lots of flavour. And cheap!
-Melanie Bartel, Toronto, Jan. 24

no mention of Dangerous Dan's?

everyone must try the coronary burger at least once in their life, just to say they finished it and lived ;)

huge patty topped off with multiple strips of bacon, cheese, onions, and a fried egg

1. Steak Queen - Victoria Park and Lawerence. especially
good to hit after the clubs. ( I cant believe no one mentioned this place.)

2. Mcdonalds - Whats wrong with these guys , they dont appricaite good fried burgers , awesome fries and mcnuggets? ...sweet and sour sauce, and bbq sauce?

Oh shit , im hungry already. Better go to the closet mcdonalds.

lol @ 'closet' mcdonalds. I don't know why but I just found the literal idea of that to be funny.

I don't get to try much of anything besides the big companies burgers (sorry, I'm trying to change), but Harvey's burgers are always pretty good. I also enjoyed the last Burger King patty I had, though I'm not sure I want to know what kind of meat either uses.

Licks is gross.
Go to Brampton for the best burger at Sunny's on Kennedy, just north of Queen.

I second Dangerous Dan's.
I was walking along Queen East one day with my girlfried, talking about art deco furniture or something, when we walked by the place. It had a Toronto Star review in the window, with a picture of the legendary coronary burger (I had never eaten there, or even heard of it before), and my conversation fizzled out as the sensory information from my eyes slowly started to overload my brain.

Basically, we ended up eating there, even though my girlfriend had brought along some sandwiches for lunch. :D

The coronary burger is so huge, you have to take bites in two stages - the upper half, and then the lower half. I was walking along.

One place I REALLY miss, however, is The Brothers restaurant, which used to be in the Scientology building on Yonge St. Damn those burgers were good - I used to know the entire staff by name - a real 50's dinner-style place.

Dangerous Dan's...ughhh...if it wasn't for the Green Pass rating in the window, I wouldn't have stayed to see the menu. The burger was ho-hum, service was terrible and the place is seriously, grossly dirty.

Do you really want to eat sitting in an old car seat bench with crumbs and stains all over it? Like I said, I would have walked out if it wasn't for the Green Pass and the fact that the alternative is Jilly's.

James.

Dangerous Dan's 'Coronary Burger' is nothing compared to their 'Collossal Colon Clogger'...

24 oz burger, 1/4/ lb bacon, 1/4 lb cheese, 2 eggs on top, poutine, and finally a shake.

This is no joke, I'm reading the menu right now from Now magazines menu guide.

That's damn disgusting! Why would anybody want to eat that? Dangerous Dan has got to be 500 lbs. Heart attack waiting to happen.

I'm gonna be sick... :eek:

Seriously, in T.O., u guys need, no you guys have to check out Johnny's Burger, at the corner of Victoria Park and Sheppard, best burger in T.O. hands down!

Dangerous Dan's came out with the Colon Clogger due to all the tough guys coming in and eating the Coronary Burger and saying "That's nothing!!!", so they came out with an even worse one.

Notice 2 of the best burger joints are on Victoria Park.

I think its that whole North York , Scarborough border thing.

I grew up just down the street from Johnny's and was surprised to see it is so widely praised; I always thought places like that were a dime-a-dozen. I do still remember it fondly and ate there some weeks ago for nostalgia's sake.

Anybody stop at Weber's on the way up to cottage country?

I ate at Dangerous Dan's once just to see what all the fuss was about. Yes, I tried the Coronary burger (the only reason to go in my opinion). It was massive, I had to eat it with a fork and knife. It is one of the few places I have eaten where the staff took my picture as my entree arrived. Needless to say, I didn't need to eat anything for the next couple of days.

I never heard of the "clogger" burger though. At least, I don't think it was on the menu when I went. They had the 24 oz. Homeburger though.

Back