Berczy Condos, The (Concert Properties) - Real Estate -

Thanks for the update DanTheMan. Love looking at everyone's pics and Tuesday cannot get here fast enough. Tuesday is our PDI. Also curious if anyone can shed some light on approximate closing costs as well?

I received the statement of adjustments from my lawyer yesterday. If I'm reading it right closing costs as far as the builder is concerned are approx $5k.

We will also be looking for a painter, unless the suggestion from the builder is to wait a few months. Please let us know if you are having any painting done.

Im having my california closets guy coming over on Oct 18th @ 6:30 to take some measurements...i know most people wont have possession but if anyones interested i can get some business cards and mention there is interest in the building.

We will be there for our PDI that day. Would like a business card though. We are looking to do an "Office Wall" in the second bedroom. Thx.

I would like the contact information for the closet company rep. Perhaps you could post the details. Thanks.

We had our PDI today. The unit looks good in terms of finishes, with some minor scrapes and dents here and there.

The main concern is that the bedrooms don't have any lighting, meaning no fixtures or event electrical drops. We were told by Concert's rep that this is the case in all of the units, Can anyone confirm this?

The ceiling in the guest room is drywall but, master is concrete. It is disappointing as lamps take up space and we hadn't really considered wall mounts.

Storage space on the kitchen counter also doesn't allow a toaster oven, which is also a pain. Appliances are great, showers are beautiful and floors look good. Would love to hear others' experiences to date.

Most builders do not provide light fixtures or capped ceiling outlets in bedrooms. It’s not very common in new condo developments. Typically, if you have a den then a light fixture would be provided. Bedrooms would have at one outlet connected to your light switch for one of your table or floor lamps. Hope this helps.

I’m in a larger unit but will also have some challeges with counter space. We have a toaster oven too (+ hot water dispenser, espresso machine, juicer, etc.). It’s part of the condo lifestyle even with buildings like The Berczy with larger suites.

I have bought condos with other downtown developers and The Berczy is by far the most impressive in terms of finishes, delivery of home with few deficiencies at PDI, and overall building design. Anyone who has bought should be thrilled that you did when you had the chance. My only suggestion for the Concert is providing more time at PDI for suites larger than 1100 sf. An hour for every suite regardless of size and number of rooms doesn’t seem reasonable. Someone with 3 rooms and a washroom will have sufficient time, but someone with 6 rooms and 2 washrooms might feel rushed.

Some condos offer a light in the bedrooms but it's almost rare now. Wish this wasn't the case. Regardless, those who purchased at the Berczy will be very happy. This will be a highly sought after building for many years to come. Hopefully one day I can find a place there but I fear it may be out of my price range. :p

Im having my california closets guy coming over on Oct 18th @ 6:30 to take some measurements...i know most people wont have possession but if anyones interested i can get some business cards and mention there is interest in the building.

I am also looking to have these folks in to provide suggestions/a quote. I wonder if we could work on getting a group price if a few of us agree to do some work vs receiving individual pricing.

I would also be interested. Would already have moved in by Oct. 18th if your guy prefers to provide individual quotes but at a discounted group rate.

I am also looking to have these folks in to provide suggestions/a quote. I wonder if we could work on getting a group price if a few of us agree to do some work vs receiving individual pricing.

Hi Neighbors,

California Closets rep i use is Derek Price, email address is dprice@calclosets.com. I've used him a few times and he knows his stuff. Feel free to contact him, they do free in home consultation and measurements so no harm in getting them in. As mentioned he'll be at my place on Friday 6:30pm, for those moved in he can probably come by after im assuming. I can always ask for you or just shoot him an email, i mentioned there was interest in the building.

http://www.californiaclosets.com/

I also ordered a couch from Montauk Sofa, the owner is coming by sometime in the next few weeks to make sure fit etc is good. Anyone interested let me know!

www.montauksofa.com

My name is Dushi btw lol, send me a pm for contact details other than this forum if need be.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Golfer727272, the declarant (the developer) appoints the first Board. This Board controls operation of the corporation until the turn-over meeting. At the turn-over meeting, besides documents being "turned over", an entirely new Board will be elected. See below. I've excerpted a couple of subsections of the statute.

42. (1) Within 10 days after the registration of the declaration and description, the declarant shall appoint the first board of a corporation. 1998, c. 19, s. 42 (1).

(2) The declarant may revoke the appointment of a director to the first board and appoint another director to the first board who shall hold office until a new board is elected at a turn-over meeting held under section 43. 1998, c. 19, s. 42 (2).

(3) The first board shall hold office until a new board is elected at a turn-over meeting held under section 43. 1998, c. 19, s. 42 (3).

Turn-over meeting

43. (1) The board elected or appointed at a time when the declarant owns a majority of the units shall, not more than 21 days after the declarant ceases to be the registered owner of the majority of the units, call a meeting of owners to elect a new board. 1998, c. 19, s. 43 (1).

(3) The board shall hold the meeting within 21 days after it is called. 1998, c. 19, s. 43 (3).

So we have a new Board, at the latest, 42 days from the time the declarant loses majority control. Our turn-over meeting will happen quickly, as there will be no interim occupancy "gap", and once the units start being occupied, the declarant will soon cease to control the majority of units.

We need to consider our first owners' Board carefully. There are serious responsibilities for Board members, particularly in the first year. They need to scrutinize all contracts that were entered into by the declarant-board, including property management. We have a right to terminate agreements (with some exceptions) if we are not satisfied with them. That is not to say we should replace the PM company hired by the declarant, but they need to know that they work for the new Board, and we should examine the agreement, do some comparisons, and re-negotiate if necessary.

Normally most units are owner occupied at registration since there is a long interim occupancy period before registration with land titles. However in our case, the turnover meeting will be so quick after the first people move-in. In some condos, this creates a problem as if the declarant still owns a high number of units, they can stack the new board with people they favour. However ours is a small building, and I think that most if not all will have moved in prior to the turn-over meeting.

Anyone considering being a member of the first Board should even now be reviewing the declaration, description, rules and bylaws.

There is also a requirement to hold our first General Meeting within three months of registration. Here's what the Act says:

45(2) The board shall hold a general meeting of owners not more than three months after the registration of the declaration and description and subsequently within six months of the end of each fiscal year of the corporation. 1998, c. 19, s. 45 (2).[/I

Not sure when registration was, did they say September 27th? That means it would have to be by Christmas. Pretty tight. Turnover meeting timing and first General Meeting timing would be weird, almost on top of each other. Anyone know how this timing will play out? Does it mean that we could have a first General Meeting held by the "old declarant board" before the turnover meeting?

Back