News   May 14, 2024
 92     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 942     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Bedbugs

Under Toronto Municipal Code, Property Standards, I'm sure that bed bugs are covered under insects;

"Pest control.
All properties shall at all times be kept free of rodents, vermin, insects and other pests and from conditions which may encourage infestation by pests".

A landlord who violates this or any other section of Property Standards can be easily taken to the Landlord and Tenant Board if they fail to respond within a reasonable time period, with documentation of course. Unfortunately most people don't know their rights as renters in Toronto and some landlords take great advantage of that.

dt_toronto_geek:

Yeah, but there is also the other side - under the TPA, access to the unit for pest control purposes can be a battle on its' own - and chronic packrats/horders can also be a serious issue as well.

AoD

Ah, I understand your statement now. Yes, we've had one suite (that I know of) who refused treatment but they did give their notice and moved out a few months later - and took the bed bugs with them. There really does need to be stronger legislation to allow mandatory treatment of bed bugs but spraying alone won't work unless the resident is proactive with the spray treatment too, so it's a real tricky situation with these bugs.

Having a bigger budget will help, but I highly doubt that it will solve the problem - you really need a change in the legislation that would compel mandatory treatment if infestations are found in a unit. No ifs, no buts.

AoD

I hate to say this because I'm a tenant myself, but I think that landlords or the city should have a form of fining a tenant for spreading bedbugs should they not follow treatment procedures. Ultimately, if a tenant doesn't treat their unit, they will inevitably transmit bedbugs to public places and other homes and should be held responsible.

Back