News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 685     0 

Bed bugs so bad in Toronto they'll soon spread on transit, in theatres.

I see what you're doing. Your claim - "By banning DDT we have condemned millions to death from malaria" - was wrong.
Now, that's what a good debater would have said at the beginning, that my claim was wrong, and then provide something to back it up, and then stop. Only an amateur would go on to say that whatever the other position was, was "never" the case...never use never unless you're sure. Anyway, enough said, thanks again for clarifying your earlier position, I appreciate it. Cheers.

Now, that's what a good debater would have said at the beginning, that my claim was wrong, and then provide something to back it up, and then stop. Only an amateur would go on to say that whatever the other position was, was "never" the case...never use never unless you're sure. Anyway, enough said, thanks again for clarifying your earlier position, I appreciate it. Cheers.
A good debater doesn't hang onto one insignifiant detail to save face when they've been proven wrong. The meaning of that sentence was pretty clear, but to humour you I'll throw in a qualifier - DDT has never been banned worldwide for fighting malaria.

"Only an amateur" - my sincere apologies for not being a professional internet debater...lol.

MisterF, you know, say even if no country in the world ever banned DDT, it could still qualify as banned because my neighbour bob banned it from his house. and say if bob didn't ban it, i could ban it right now in my home by issuing a formal decree and then that would prove you wrong. muahahha!

You really have to take alot of precautionary measures to reduce your exposure to bed bugs. One of those suckers can produce up to 500 eggs.:eek:

MisterF, you know, say even if no country in the world ever banned DDT, it could still qualify as banned because my neighbour bob banned it from his house. and say if bob didn't ban it, i could ban it right now in my home by issuing a formal decree and then that would prove you wrong. muahahha!
Exactly. Though, I suppose we'd better leave the poor lad alone before he has a fit :p

Last edited:
Does the TTC and other public transit in the GTA have beg bug elimination procedures? My thinking is that most people would be exposed to other people's clothing on the TTC. If I've got bed bugs in my house, they'll be in my bedroom where the clothes are, and could deposit themselves on the seats in the subway, and then infect another person's home.

Does the TTC and other public transit in the GTA have beg bug elimination procedures? My thinking is that most people would be exposed to other people's clothing on the TTC. If I've got bed bugs in my house, they'll be in my bedroom where the clothes are, and could deposit themselves on the seats in the subway, and then infect another person's home.

They seem to struggle to keep their vehicles generally clean. Having the TTC fumigate them seems like an impossible task in comparison.

... but a good idea nonetheless. This thread is making me a clean freak: I just went out and bought a Dyson DC06 -- one of those industrial power hand vacs. Pricey as hell but fun to use and very effective at cleaning.

Those sneaky Danes. First they invent a cool looking vacuum cleaner, then they introduce bedbugs into our city and pay our major media companies to print articles about vermin.

It's like how they are causing global warming to boost windmill sales and fill hotel rooms in Copenhagen.

The bedbug problem...

Everyone: I have heard that the NYC area has had its share of bedbug problems also. This is no joke-they are and can be obnoxious pests!

But-on the other hand I can now not get the Rolling Stones song "Shattered"
out of my mind-especially that lyric part "Bedbugs-Uptown-What a Mess"
Just change the word "Manhattan" to "Toronto" and it fits this topic...
Thoughts and just a little humor from LI MIKE

But-on the other hand I can now not get the Rolling Stones song "Shattered" out of my mind-especially that lyric part "Bedbugs-Uptown-What a Mess"
Argh, now it's stuck in my head too, argh! Make it stop.

Ahhh, look at me, I'm a shattered
I'm a shattered
Look at me- I'm a shattered, yeah

Don't you know the crime rate is going up, up, up, up, up
To live in this town you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough!
You got rats on the west side
Bed bugs uptown
What a mess this town's in tatters I've been shattered
My brain's been battered, splattered all over Manhattan

They seem to struggle to keep their vehicles generally clean. Having the TTC fumigate them seems like an impossible task in comparison.
If they leave the subway cars outside on a winters night, bed bugs will die from the low temperatures.

i have read that hight levels of CO2 and also temperatures greater than 45C for periods over 24 hours kill all stages of life for bed bugs. but would the egg state be considered a life stage?

would it be possible to heat one's home and sustain temps above 45c for over a day? i wonder if running the furnace constantly on a hot 30c day can achieve this? could this also be dangerous? (i obviously know that if you were to inhabit the home at this temp it would be dangerous.) you might also cause some damage to your home by having wood shrink due to loss of humidity and expansion of other materials. i'm also thinking there could be accelerated off gassing of materials.

Even just 2 hours in 45 degree heat will kill them.

When I left a hostel which was ridden by bed bugs, I was instructed to put all my clothes and sleeping bag inside a black garbage bag, and leave it in the hot sun for a few hours. If there were any bed bugs inside, they didn't bother me again.

My business idea: a giant insulated truck which I heat up to 50C, so it's like an oven. Bring me your mattresses, linens, clothes. Put in my truck for a few hours, and I return it to you fully cooked :)

Last edited:

Back