News   Jul 22, 2024
 311     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 557     0 

BBC: New Morphosis tower in Paris to rival Eiffel Tower

Europe seems to be leading the way in innovative skyscraper design- although Chicago has some interesting projects on the go as well.

"Hopefully the Hummingbird Centre condo will change mentalities in time to fit in the current boom."

Doubt it. Toronto the practical doesn't often think outside of the box.

^Neither does Chicago. Their tallest new buildings are no more creative than Toronto's.

Why can't we just admire another city's wild'n'crazy building without bellyaching about Toronto?

Why can't we just admire another city's wild'n'crazy building without bellyaching about Toronto?

That would be impossible for Bogtrotter; he is our forum bitch after all.

"Why can't we just admire another city's wild'n'crazy building without bellyaching about Toronto?"

Why can't somebody offer a comparison to Toronto (this is a Toronto forum after all) without hearing this particular tired old refrain? Assuming that most people who take the time to post here genuinely care about Toronto to begin with???

"It also smacks against the Mayor's new vision for the city of Paris, which includes keeping the height restriction in place and focusing more on scale and quality of new buildings."

Part of the beauty of Paris is the tension between the avant garde and the traditional. Many buildings there that are now iconic were one vilified, including Eiffel's tower itself.

"That would be impossible for Bogtrotter; he is our forum bitch after all."

I'll refrain from the name calling- but why don't you leave your personal remarks about other members to yourself. I realize my comments aren't positive all the time but I've made plenty of constructive remarks on this forum over the past few years.
Are you having a bad day or something?

"Part of the beauty of Paris is the tension between the avant garde and the traditional. Many buildings there that are now iconic were one vilified, including Eiffel's tower itself."

I agree. Besides the defense is a terrificly modern area of the city- this would be a spectacular addition if it goes ahead.

Metro:

Dirt resistant windows. I'm not intimately familiar with the technology, but there are windows with a coating that prevents dirt from adhering to windows and dust and other debris are easily washed off with rain water.

Yup, titanium dioxide (the white ingredient in white paint) acts as a catalyst and breaks down dirt when activated by UV. It's been used as a coating on windows.

AoD

Toronto certainly doesn't have the contrast between new and old buildings that Paris does. We're constantly demolishing structures from our recent past ( most recently, notable Modernist ones ) as we go along.

And, at the same time, we romantically glorify just about every surviving Victorian or Edwardian building in the downtown core, often incorporating them through ridiculous facadism into new developments.

But, lacking the new/old contrast that Paris has, is maybe what makes us ... us!

And you'd think it would set us free, to construct more buildings that are of-our-time and innovative, rather than falling back on seen-it-all-before solutions like BA. The cultural sector - with such buildings as the FSCPA with a City Room that is open for concerts during the day and glows like a beacon at night, followed by the rash of locally designed contemporary styled condos popping up everywhere, seem to be doing their part in maintaining Toronto's sense of time and place, and bringing life to the streets. But we still have to look elsewhere to see office buildings that break the mould. Sad, really, for a city that gave us the TD Centre and Commerce Court one after the other in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

"And you'd think it would set us free, to construct more buildings that are of-our-time and innovative, rather than falling back on seen-it-all-before solutions like BA."

Well said BB. That was my point- but much more eloquently delivered :)

I'll be the first to admit that the latest office buidings aren't exactly postcard material, but they're not bad either. Well, the facadism could end up pretty bad. But office towers are just a small portion of the new buildings in Toronto.

I'll agree that certain cities in Europe are leading the way in "outside the box" skyscraper design without resorting to Shanghai-tackiness (I wouldn't put Chicago in the leading edge category, not currently anyway). That said, I'd rather have a city full of Toronto-style modernism than Rotterdam-style wierdness.

Both cities have their own distinctive look as far as contemporary buildings are concerned, but Rotterdam appears to be applying it to office buildings far more than we are. It would be nice to see our leading neo-Modernists have a go at designing a major office tower in our downtown to provide the equivalent.

I agree with what you say Babel. What's more, people tend to forget that 'historic' Paris has been raised and rebuilt many, many times.

Still, I must confess a bit of a nostalgia for Toronto's heritage architecture, and I do think that preservation is important, though not at any cost; a city has to move forward to remain vital. It's just that in a perfect world I'd rather see cutting edge, innovative design rising on empty lots (of which there are/have been many) than at the expense of excellent design from previous generations.

Toronto certainly doesn't have the contrast between new and old buildings that Paris does. We're constantly demolishing structures from our recent past ( most recently, notable Modernist ones ) as we go along.

And, at the same time, we romantically glorify just about every surviving Victorian or Edwardian building in the downtown core, often incorporating them through ridiculous facadism into new developments.

Yet the funny thing is, this approach isn't what the current cream of the preservationist crop is advocating. It's what dull-witted developers and middlebrow politicians *think* said cream wants...

Part of the beauty of Paris is the tension between the avant garde and the traditional. Many buildings there that are now iconic were one vilified, including Eiffel's tower itself.

Although except maybe in a qualified sense, that rite of passage *doesn't* seem to be happening with a lot of 60s/70s skyscraper/office construction (from Montparnasse on down; and yes, the original fabric of La Defense included)--perhaps because so much of it is sheer Euro-pidgin tacky...

It's pointless to compare this project to the BA Centre. Different city, purpose, site, and most importantly, budget.

"Although except maybe in a qualified sense, that rite of passage *doesn't* seem to be happening with a lot of 60s/70s skyscraper/office construction (from Montparnasse on down; and yes, the original fabric of La Defense included)--perhaps because so much of it is sheer Euro-pidgin tacky..."

You're right: We keep being told we're supposed to like/appreciate brutalism or certain variations of modernism, but the fact is no amount of forced "cod liver oil" makes us embrace it, in any collective sort of way at least.

Back