1.8K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.6K     4 

BB/US Shops

B

building babel

Those Harry Rosen salesmen are so pushy.

I bought a pair of slacks in their new FCP store last year. The salesman phoned me up at work a couple of weeks later and asked if I was "happy with my trousers?". I thought it was some sort of new gay code language I hadn't heard before.

I ask you.

The whole "I have a man at Harry Rosen" is a Toronto retail custom with which I have never been comfortable.

I "have a man in the Royal Bank Plaza", Mr. Salgado, who makes me lovely shirts occasionally. Well, actually he doesn't make them himself - his man does! I guess that makes the shirtmaker a man's man.

Harry Rosen? (thinking back to his nude-but-for-a-necktie shot)

On Saturday afternoon, after the ROM, I strolled along Bloor and, for a change, wandered through Vuitton, Chanel, Hermes, Tiffany etc., eyeing the baubles, the trinkets, the luggage, the shoes, and the men's and women's clothes.

At 83 Bloor ( the old Versace store with the nice mosaic floors ) there was an excellent buffet, catered by MBCo.

"Complete meal?" asked the pretty young woman behind the table, tongs hovering over plates of food.

I was tempted - "Yeah! Gimme everything baby!" - but I stopped after a nice little pizza thing, a crisp sandwich with wonderful fillings, and another nice savoury stuffed whatever-it-was. They do this once in a while, apparently. I wonder how many times I can go back before they insist I buy something? There are nice black D&G velvet dinner jackets upstairs ... but I'm not that crazy.

Noted 83 Bloor is moving (guess they'll have to change their name). Anyone know what's going in?

Wherever they go, I'll follow - for their Saturday buffet if nothing else.

Maybe Versace are moving back? The beautiful mosaics are still intact ...

Perhaps Bemelmans with arise, all Pheonix-like?

I used to buy garish 1980's Versace ties in the Goodwill for 50 cents in the mid-1990's when people were turfing them. I have a lovely collection. My partner Ambrose bought a lovely Versace jacket with big, padded, rounded shoulders in the early 1980's before Versace became VERSACE. I've still got it somewhere. Too bad it doesn't fit me.

Holts was always the place to shop, even back then.

Retail: BB/US Shops

I took a friend, and a mean hunger, to the Sunday buffet brunch at the King Eddy this morning. It is excellent. A huge selection of hot and cold dishes, waiters constantly refreshing your glasses, friendly service.

It is held from 11 o'clock in the renovated Cafe Victoria ( now called the Sovereign Room ), which has become a nice open space once again - but try to ignore the bilious green carpet. The elaborately moulded plaster ceiling is always a joy to behold. I wish I had one like it in my bedroom. It would take my mind off things at times.

Back