News   Jul 26, 2024
 719     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Great architectural abstract in that photo AndroidUK, congrats on pic of the day!

And that's the first daytime shot of 1 King W's signage that I've seen. It really brings back a lot of the hatred for that building that I felt when it was going up. I can't wait for something absolutely massive to go up on the SE corner of King and Yonge to block it out.

since youve brought up this debate again, I just have to voice my counter opinion... 1 King W is one of the most interesting shapes on our skyline at this point. I think it adds a great bit of interest from the angle you mention. The slim profile has also brought attention to it as one of Toronto's signature skyscrapers.

Everytime that I've given an out-of-towner a tour of the city, they've expressed how cool they thought 1 King West was. It's a unique and sleek design.

Not sure why, but the sidewalk hoarding along Bay has been partially replaced, and the signage along the hoarding has been remomved. Perhaps it weathered the winter badly, but it seems late in the game to be replacing it.

considering there is little further overhead construction on the west side, I would have thought this hoarding would be coming down in a matter of a couple months.

Interesting.

Not sure why, but the sidewalk hoarding along Bay has been partially replaced, and the signage along the hoarding has been remomved. Perhaps it weathered the winter badly, but it seems late in the game to be replacing it.

considering there is little further overhead construction on the west side, I would have thought this hoarding would be coming down in a matter of a couple months.

Interesting.

Could it be some sort of more easily (re)movable hoarding in connection with and in preparation for the replacement of the sidewalk? I see that the Adelaide Street and Temperance Street sidewalks have been or are being ripped out for replacement.

Everytime that I've given an out-of-towner a tour of the city, they've expressed how cool they thought 1 King West was.

I can second that. Just a month ago I was giving a little tour to visiting Montrealers, and virtually all their oohs and aahs were for 1 King West.

1 King West is pretty unique because it's so tall and so skinny. It's a sliver in the sky. Stinson may have been an idiot, but it's a decent building :)

I love the 1 King West tower - seen from Yonge and Dundas, it looks like an airplane wing turned on its side. The street level continues to horrify me, however...it isn't maintained propertly, and the space that was a restaurant for about 1 week before being turned into a sales office is a complete waste.

Stinson was a little bit of on the goofy side but, his building were rather interesting, imagin if the sapphire tower was built. its rare to see intersting buildings like that. would have been cool TO BAD THO!!!

flickr pic by jonathancastellino...

3404719823_93ae28241c_b.jpg

Just wondering, is the foundation in place for the future BA2.

I don't think it is, or at least not much of it. When the old stump was demolished and the new "plaza" area between BAC1 and proposed BAC2 was constructed, they didn't put in any support columns for BAC2 other than on the west side of BAC2 (east side of the plaza). The parking garage entrance off Adelaide was left untouched and no excavation/construction occurred on the easternmost 2/3 of the footprint of BAC2. I suspect that when BAC2 is constructed, they will have to close this garange entrance temporarily so it can be rebuilt following excavation and construction of the remainder of the BAC2 foundation/elevator shafts. Here is a picture from during construction showing what wasn't demolished and showing the support columns that were constructed.

Attachments

• 95-8BAC-April-15-07[1].jpg
    95-8BAC-April-15-07[1].jpg
    36 KB · Views: 219
The original Bay Adelaide tower was meant to go mid block which could mean the foundations for it could be used for tower two.

Back