News   Jun 28, 2024
 83     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 266     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 332     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

So you concur?

Leonardo%20DiCaprio.jpg

This could just win me over. I really like the inset glass wall at street level, and the feeling of 'wow, only a few little columns are holding this thing up' that you get. I wonder what the finishing materials will be; stone seems a little out of place, I'm hoping for some nice metallic surface.

Not at all - I adore funny, butch structures like the Ritz podium.

I also enjoy tall buildings like this, that slam into the ground without a mediating podium skirt to disguise what they're all about.

The Muranii towers have a common skirt, but both buildings have piloti-type pilasters that carry their energy down into the ground. The tower/podium-skirt combination is the rule nowadays, but variations like these - also shown nicely at Spire - still manage to reference the glory days of sleek Modernist towers surrounded by lovely open space.

February 26

From the corner of Bay and Adelaide looking north towards the heritage facade.
3321186080_7dce3d9060_b.jpg

From Adelaide looking north.
3320376259_38b4586e9f_b.jpg

The Bay is visible through the glass in the background.
3320376329_f60aee9fe5_b.jpg

Love the Xes in the windows! They are by far the most interesting feature of the architecture!!

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the hoarding at Scotiaplaza now has signage up saying that the PATH connection will be open September '09.

Wow - that old facade really screams "I am a freak!" from that corner. Phony phony phony. Should have been installed 20 floors up.

Wow - that old facade really screams "I am a freak!" from that corner. Phony phony phony. Should have been installed 20 floors up.

The Whole bottom should had been done the same as it would added more charm to the building

Quadruple the pretense, quadruple the charm? Might as well build a picket fence around the complex once the hoarding's down, and hire these girls as security guards:

750_Victorian_Friendship_Society_at_Sugar_s_Christmas_Tea.JPG

The mix of precast and stone really doesn't work for me. Why the cheap-out on such a small detail, relative to the overall size of the project? I do like the tower though, minus the facadism.

Back