News   Jun 24, 2024
 197     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.9K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

9 January 2009 photo update

From Queen East and Power St:

DSC00252.jpg

that's a terrific picture.

i've been amassing a large collection of photos showcasing toronto's growing skyline. all of them are landscape-themed. i started about two summers ago and the collection really shows the evolution of the skyline.

should i start a new thread people?

i've been amassing a large collection of photos showcasing toronto's growing skyline. all of them are landscape-themed. i started about two summers ago and the collection really shows the evolution of the skyline.

Do it! Post it in the photo's section and if you can, try and date each of the photos so we can see the progress. Thanks!

yes please do it

I understand how the notched corners play off of the notched corners of FCP and - goodness knows - I'd be the last person here to deride the idea of expanding on an existing context and fitting in, but there's a tradition with business towers - skyscrapers, dammit! - of being brash and competitive and making a bold corporate statement on the skyline, that this one abdicates.

To be charitable, it kinda looks like the FCP Mini-Me that the Exchange Tower could've been, but wasn't.

The same could be said of Opera Houses.

What's wrong with an office tower looking like an office tower?

I would agree with the general consensus that this is some alright filler and not much more. Higher fins and a spire would've really added to it.

Judging by the near finished product at this point in time, BA could have benefitted tremendously from either one of two minor altercations:

1) Some sort of pinnacle roof; perhaps a domed structure similar to Two World Financial Centre out in New York.

Or

2) A sleek, rounded design featuring various interconnected protrusions such as Two California Plaza in LA.

Such altercations to the simplistic design would have been a pleasant change to the standard, conservative box architecture dominating the Toronto skyline.

Attachments

• 2wfc_21sept.jpg
    2wfc_21sept.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 216
  • CalPlaza4.jpg
    CalPlaza4.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 244
Judging by the near finished product at this point in time, BA could have benefitted tremendously from either one of two minor altercations:

1) Some sort of pinnacle roof; perhaps a domed structure similar to Two World Financial Centre out in New York.

Or

2) A sleek, rounded design featuring various interconnected protrusions such as Two California Plaza in LA.

Such altercations to the simplistic design would have been a pleasant change to the standard, conservative box architecture dominating the Toronto skyline.

ShShSh Buddy you are going to get bombarded by the boxheads.

boxheads21.jpg

It is very true that it would have only taken some very minor adjustments to make it more interesting. However, if that happened, people would just be saying "it's pretty much just a box." So we still wouldn't have gotten any further :p

So, I was just looking at the Bay Adelaide Centre website, and according to it floors 12 and 14 are available "immediately". Does that mean tenants could start moving in tomorrow?

BA_Availability_2009-01-20.jpg

The construction elevator is still on one side of the building. I doubt they could move in right away. Not until the external cladding on that side of the building has been installed...

right?

....unless...the cladding has been installed on that side and the construction elevator no longer services those particular floors. - I mean that makes sense, IFCC in Hong Kong is still u/c and its lower floors have been made available to tentants even though the building is only about 80% of the way to the top. (much less further along, one would assume, than BA)

So, I was just looking at the Bay Adelaide Centre website, and according to it floors 12 and 14 are available "immediately". Does that mean tenants could start moving in tomorrow?

Last I walked by, the ground floor was still covered in tarps. A front door is usually an amenity that tenants look for.

Yes, one would think that potential tenants would want complete cladding, lobby, etc. I also just noticed that "no" is listed under the "built out" column.

I guess my question was a bit rhetorical. I'm sort of curious if there's any significance to the "immediately" listed, since all the other floor list the availability date as July, when the building should be complete.

Back