News   Sep 05, 2024
 518     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 575     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 580     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

The curtain wall test has been removed, having hung there since the mid '90s, has been taken down.

cry.gif

rose.gif

Good to see- this blight is even on Wikepedia.

Drinks are on me.

Good to see- this blight is even on Wikepedia.

*Which* blight--the curtain wall test section?

Wow, funny how much of a UT meme that's become...

I wonder how the rebuilt historic facade will look. Why are they tearing it down to rebuild it?

^ Because the structure behind it (and possibly the materials in the facade itself?) wasn't up to the task of being part of the new building.

They're also adding height to the floors. The ceilings in the new building are higher than in the historic structure.

Does anyone know the square footage of BAC1? I was walking by the site on my way back to the office, and I'm thinking that the floorplates could be substantially larger than say, Commerce Court West. In which case, it could end up having more square footage than CCW, even though it's a few floors shorter.

Do we have a list of the square footage of the major towers around anywhere?

To answer my own question, I have searched around, and I have found some information on floorspace over at Urban DB.

Commerce Court West:
Floors: 57
Height: 239m
Floorspace: 108,528 sq.m

Bay-Adelaide Centre 1:
Floors: 50
Height: 218m
Floorspace: 107,054 sq.m

RBC Dexia:
Floors: 41
Height: 185m
Floorspace: 111,500 sq.m (office only)

Telus:
Floors: 30
Height: 160m
Floorspace: 75,251 sq.m

I'm using CCW for the comparison because it seems to be the most similar (and also because I work there). So, CCW is the tallest of the four, by about 20 m. It's also the second largest, in terms of square meters.

Now, consider this for a second, right now, we have under construction in the downtown core, three office buildings which will be done around the same time and which are the equivalent of adding 2.75 CCWs. That's insane.

I'd love to see what these additions do to the total office space figure for downtown Toronto. And, I'd also be curious to see how Toronto stacks up against Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, Chicago, Atlanta, and Houston. Anyone have some numbers?

dismantling the monument to 80's real estate speculation!
Actually, the curtain wall test was from the '90s incarnation of the BAC (the one with the swoopy top). The original '80s desgin had the building clad in brownish red granite, not unlike Scotia Plaza.

Back