176     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 432     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Battle of the Mattresses: Casper vs. ENDY

Which mattress brand do you prefer?

• Total voters
Casper Opens Downtown Toronto Location with Canadian Headquarters [Photos/Video]

December 09, 2018

By Craig Patterson

New York City-based sleep brand Casper has opened a large permanent showroom at 342 Queen Street West in downtown Toronto, which will also house the brand’s Canadian headquarters at the back of the space in the spring of 2019 when office renovations are completed. The Toronto location is Casper’s second in Canada, and more retail spaces are set to open in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec over the next couple of years.

https://www.retail-insider.com/reta...n-toronto-location-with-canadian-headquarters

Casper Opens Downtown Toronto Location with Canadian Headquarters [Photos/Video]

December 09, 2018

By Craig Patterson

New York City-based sleep brand Casper has opened a large permanent showroom at 342 Queen Street West in downtown Toronto, which will also house the brand’s Canadian headquarters at the back of the space in the spring of 2019 when office renovations are completed. The Toronto location is Casper’s second in Canada, and more retail spaces are set to open in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec over the next couple of years.

https://www.retail-insider.com/reta...n-toronto-location-with-canadian-headquarters
They're using debt to expand their appeal and share for acquisition. I guarantee Casper is acquired within 12 months.

They're using debt to expand their appeal and share for acquisition. I guarantee Casper is acquired within 12 months.
I will not be surprised if MattressFirm (which is among the largest traditional mattress retailers in the United States) or Sealy or Simmons were to purchase Casper.

Even a few months ago, nobody would ever thought Sleep Country Canada would purchase ENDY.

I will not be surprised if MattressFirm (which is among the largest traditional mattress retailers in the United States) or Sealy or Simmons were to purchase Casper.

Even a few months ago, nobody would ever thought Sleep Country Canada would purchase ENDY.
The issue of these mattresses is that none of them are patented. Casper et al have only two USPs, that of cheap price; and, a delivery model eschewing the traditional mattress store for home delivery in a box. Big Mattress can easily make compressed foam and stick it in a box.

Myself, I’m sleeping on a 20 year old Sealy that needs replacing. I’ll just walk into Sleep Country, same as I did in 1998.

Well, that took me nine months longer than it should have, but I got laid off in February and didn’t work again until end of June. Anyway, bought a new, traditional coil mattress today at Sleep Country. They're in cahoots with the mattress firms, as Sleep Country has a price match guarantee, but every mattress I found online at https://www.nationalmattress.ca/ and the others whilst in-store negotiating the purchase was a slightly different model.

Anyway, I got a good price and the old 21 year old mattress was in dire need of replacement, regardless of its 25 year warranty. The new one has only a ten year warranty, looks like this https://www.sleepcountry.ca/kingsdown-malone-mattress-5 apparently this is common as the new mattresses cannot be flipped to wear on both sides.
Sleep Country had their ENDY foam brand on display. One of the appeals over the coil unit I bought apparently is that the foam beds can, with a motor incline/recline to become a more universal piece of furniture rather than a place to sleep and shag, somewhere you would watch TV, eat manwiches, etc.

I’m old school, I read in the living room, watch tv in the tv room and sleep in the bedroom , but if you’re in a small condo I can see the need for one piece of furniture to support all three.

Last edited:
I bought an ultra-cheap (on sale for $250) queen-size Zinus mattress 18 months ago on Amazon. The husband is very happy with it.

Casper lays off 21% of staff, CFO to exit

• Direct-to-consumer mattress brand Casper announced Tuesday that Greg Macfarlane, CFO and COO, will leave the company on May 15 "to assume a senior executive role outside of the Sleep industry," according to a company press release.
  • The company also laid off 78 employees, or 21% of its global corporate workforce, and is going to "wind down" its European unit, which it expects to complete by the end of this year. Affected employees in North America will receive severance, extended medical coverage, career coaching and new job placement support, according to the company. European employees will receive similar packages.
  • The company also named a new chief marketing officer, Lisa Pillette, who previously worked with Lacoste, HSN and Ralph Lauren. Pillette replaces Jeff Brooks, who left the company late last year.

I would not be surprised if Casper were to be purchased by the likes of Sealy, Simmons, or MattressFirm before the end of this year or next year.
I agree. But Casper’s owners won’t get much. There’s no patents behind these foam mattresses, which is why we saw so many copycats soon soon as Casper launched. I think Casper will become the Commodore 64 of the foam mattress biz.

Bought a Casper dog bed before the holidays - quite nice (and expensive!), but doggo felt otherwise - the ungrateful pooch preferred his old, support-free pouf. Returned the Casper and didn't cost me a cent. The joys of VC backed companies.

AoD

Last edited:
Read here:

Foamite is the largest manufacturer of foam used for bedding and upholstery in Ontario. Foamite supplies foam used to manufacture made-in-Canada mattresses-in-boxes but does not directly manufacture the mattresses for other companies.

Bought a Casper dog bed before the holidays - quite nice (and expensive!), but doggo felt otherwise - the ungrateful pooch preferred his old, support-free pouf. Returned the Casper and didn't cost me a cent. The joys of VC backed companies.

AoD

I've never bought a Casper mattress before, but I enjoyed the same hassle free return/exchange policy with Warby Parker glasses. They provide 30 days, no questions asked. Comes in handy just in case the final product is unsatisfactory.

Back