News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY)

What is now the SSR had a few designs on a route, including part of what is now the Caledon Trailway through Caledon through Terra Cotta and Cheltenham (they ended up on a different section of the old CN Beeton Sub). But they never had their pick of routes, and had to settle on what they could get.

Most of the old Meaford Sub has better views of traffic on Highway 26 than Georgian Bay anyway.

That's true, I put it wrong in my post, thanks for correcting me. Tbh either of the other potential routes would have had better scenery and the added advantage of being connected to the national rail network. Unfortunately, circumstances led to the least desirable of the potential options being the one that went on to become the SSR but that's how it goes sometimes.

I know this would have been kind of unrealistic, but it would have been nice to shift the SSR to the Meaford sub between Angus and Collingwood at some point before Collingwood sold and the whole thing got choked out by weeds, though it was probably best to keep the RoW clear for future GO service. A move might not have benefited the SSR either.

Last edited:
A good creative way to offset the losses. Barrie seems fairly committed to keeping their portion open. I passed through Barrie a few days ago and I am happy to report that the line looks to be in great shape.

A good creative way to offset the losses. Barrie seems fairly committed to keeping their portion open. I passed through Barrie a few days ago and I am happy to report that the line looks to be in great shape.

They can't do it on their own, but it's great that they realize the potential value. Time for the provincial government to step up.

There ya go - yet another reason to invest into this line. If it's allowed to be abandoned and demolished, future generations will regret it.

The goal, should be to protect the right-of-way, which I think was bought by the County. Part of it is otherwise protected as it is the easement for a major water supply trunk from Collingwood to roughly Angus. Other than its scrap value, the current infrastructure would have little value to any future use. Any future service would likely have to terminate south of Collingwood in Clearview Twp. - the Town has built out too much on its south and west.

The goal, should be to protect the right-of-way, which I think was bought by the County. Part of it is otherwise protected as it is the easement for a major water supply trunk from Collingwood to roughly Angus. Other than its scrap value, the current infrastructure would have little value to any future use. Any future service would likely have to terminate south of Collingwood in Clearview Twp. - the Town has built out too much on its south and west.

Would it be possible for a new RO to be put in if they wanted to go beyond Collingwood?

Would it be possible for a new RO to be put in if they wanted to go beyond Collingwood?

Do you mean ROW? To do so through town they would have to either expropriate and tear up downtown to mimic the old ROW or, to swing along the south and west, expropriate subdivisions that are only a couple of years old. Rest assured that much of the vacant land within the town that isn't a subdivision is owned by developers and probably already zoned. Once west of town, the old ROW is a trail, not sure who owns it. All this to go where; Thornbury? Meaford? My brother lives in Meaford, formerly of Oakville. They go to Toronto maybe twice a year. Is the goal to somehow turn these places into bedroom communities?

On this and other threads, I get that you would like passenger trains chugging all over the province, but unless you, as a taxpayer, are willing to pony up the massive amount of public money that would be required, both initially and ongoing, I simply don't see the case for it.

Do you mean ROW? To do so through town they would have to either expropriate and tear up downtown to mimic the old ROW or, to swing along the south and west, expropriate subdivisions that are only a couple of years old. Rest assured that much of the vacant land within the town that isn't a subdivision is owned by developers and probably already zoned. Once west of town, the old ROW is a trail, not sure who owns it. All this to go where; Thornbury? Meaford? My brother lives in Meaford, formerly of Oakville. They go to Toronto maybe twice a year. Is the goal to somehow turn these places into bedroom communities?

On this and other threads, I get that you would like passenger trains chugging all over the province, but unless you, as a taxpayer, are willing to pony up the massive amount of public money that would be required, both initially and ongoing, I simply don't see the case for it.

I did mean ROW.

As far as where, at first I was thinking of Owen sound, but the old rail line from there goes to Orangeville.

Extending GO further North than Barrie makes as much sense as it does to go to Niagara Falls.

I get the sentiment about a bedroom community. I think of it more as the same for Niagara Falls. It is a tourist attraction, and having regular direct connections with Toronto is a good thing. The same could be said for Collingwood. I don;'t see the case for Niagara Falls, but there it goes, and will continue to grow.

I can see GO lines going to London, Peterbourough, Belleville, Orillia, and even Midland within a decade or so. Going to Collingwood make some sense. Your brother may never use it, but someone who wants to live where they ski but also wants to work in the big city definitely would.
A better question would be: Is Barrie as far north as GO will ever extend to? I don't think so.

It should be noted that there are many countries in which even the tiniest hamlets are connected to active passenger rail lines. I'm troubled by the assumption that any attempt to set up similar infrastructure here in Ontario is nothing more than an attempt to convert every single town within 300 km of Toronto into a "bedroom community" for the city. It's not about that.

It should be noted that there are many countries in which even the tiniest hamlets are connected to active passenger rail lines. I'm troubled by the assumption that any attempt to set up similar infrastructure here in Ontario is nothing more than an attempt to convert every single town within 300 km of Toronto into a "bedroom community" for the city. It's not about that.

The fact that outside of the Corridor we have horrilble train service, even before Covid, really speaks to this.

I'd think GO buses would come well before trains. Can't see it for a long time

That does surprise me. You would think GO buses would go to places like Orillia, Midland, Wasaga and Collingwood.

The assumption is often that if you are travelling, it must be to Toronto. Unfortunately this thinking also pervades a lot of planning.

Back