News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 

Barber on Markham Bypass

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
These fights between municipalities really are quite silly. We've developed a greenbelt, we've designated growth areas, and Markham is one of them. If we're going to build there, we have to build infrastructure, even roads, to serve it. It's silly to think that it's somehow righteous to maintain wildly undercapacity infrastructure just to make a moral point of opposition to suburban growth. Moreover, Markham's neighbourhoods certainly at least try a lot harder than most suburbs to be not-wholly car-dependent.

Markham needs to be bottled to save Scarborough

JOHN BARBER

October 5, 2007

God bless Raymond Cho, tribune of outermost Scarborough - a councillor whom, I blush to admit, I have never properly introduced you to before, despite having monitored his earnest participation in council debate for more years than either of us might care to admit. But God bless him anyway. He's all that's standing between us and Markham.

My personal view of Markham is corrupted by ancient but irrepressible memories of rolling farm fields, ample woodlots, split-rail fences and compact villages with long-settled charm. A walk in the country, kicking leaves, going to the fair. Today, quite literally, sprawled-out Markham is a bulging sewer.

I understand the urgent need for greater sewage capacity in Markham, from which our city and its poor lake are inarguably downhill, and I can follow the blinkered thinking of Markham officials who see built-up Scarborough as a "high-order" transportation corridor created by God to flush their commuters speedily down to the 401. I just can't stand it any more. It's stinking up the entire city.

So God bless Raymond Cho and the other Scarberians, most notably works committee chair Glenn De Baeremaeker, who are fighting back. They may not be able to stop the "Big Pipe" sewer from York Region, the construction of which is currently draining and despoiling the old trout streams, but they can plug the accompanying sewers of car traffic Markham officials intend to discharge into their neighbourhoods. They are NIMBY in a noble cause.

The immediate threat is a new highway intended to "bypass" Markham's latest unnecessary, totally car-dependent subdivision, flushing the polluting consequences of its unnecessary existence through a recently designated park and straight down the throat of Scarborough. The city is hoping to block the new expressway at Steeles Avenue, forcing its discharge west on Steeles and then down a new, northward extension of Morningside Avenue.

Hoping to win approval for the alternate alignment, Toronto officials sweetened the pot by recommending that the necessary stretch of Steeles be widened to accommodate "bypass" traffic. But the attraction of the new alignment, apart from the fact that it skirts parkland in both Markham and Toronto, is that Steeles still resembles a country road along this frontier, with one lane of traffic in either direction.

So let them build a new expressway into a dead end, the Scarberians urged. "The minute we approve a wider road is the minute 50 new development projects in York Region go through," said Mr. De Baeremaeker, a veteran of such battles. Markham must be bottled up, he declared, and now is the time.

"If you can't flush a toilet in Markham, you can't build a house," he said. "That's where they're at right now."

Six lanes bad, two lanes good. Mr. Cho, in so many words, concurred. Called to vote, however, the committee settled on four lanes.

To understand how necessary outright NIMBYism can be in such matters, consider that more than a few Toronto councillors voted happily to grant out-of-town developers the highly bankable gift of six lanes into Scarborough. Budget chief Shelley Carroll argued that it was the greenest option, on the theory that a wider roadway might one day accommodate transit - as if there were any actual plans for a rail line there, or any need to pave a right-of-way in order to preserve it for transit.

But that's the way they often think in the giant clam, until the obvious interests of their own constituents smack them sideways and bring them back to their senses. It can happen to anyone, even Mr. Cho - once an endearing nonentity, now a heroic defender of the realm.

jbarber@globeandmail.com

I love how the Scarborough area threatened by this bypass, Morningside Heights - some of the most vile sprawl this city has ever seen - is portrayed as defender of the urban faith. Its residents actually fought the city to try to get no sidewalks on some streets and Cho stood up for their SUVs even as the rest of council laughed at him. Half of Markham's traffic is 416ers working and shopping north of Steeles and poor road links hurt them just as much as Markhamites.

Is the Markham Bypass going to dead-end at Steeles? It'd hardly be a "bypass", much like Humberwest Parkway in Brampton is hardly a by-pass either. Would this be the ultimate answer to the once-proposed Metro East/448 highway that would have passed through the area?

Morningside Heights is wretched - it makes Brampton, even Milton look good, it's like the 905 subdivisions, circa 1985.

City Report on Markham Bypass Extension

I just don't understand how or why Toronto approved such wretched sprawl. The worst part of it is, the councillors seem to have no idea. They all want to fill it with streetcars because it's so "fast growing" even though it's some of the most transit-unfriendly sprawl built in the last 20 years, whether 416 or 905.

I just don't understand how or why Toronto approved such wretched sprawl. The worst part of it is, the councillors seem to have no idea. They all want to fill it with streetcars because it's so "fast growing" even though it's some of the most transit-unfriendly sprawl built in the last 20 years, whether 416 or 905.

The answer is easy. When you have the opportunity to build greenfield developments, you build sprawl no matter what the planning background, area code, city, province, or country. Morningside Heights is brought to you by the same city planners that are responsible for development at Yonge and Bloor.

When you're talking sprawl of this magnitude, the number of roads that are built doesn't matter because people will drive anyway. This isn't North York where people would swing either way depending on the quality of the transit system. I see nothing wrong with building the by-pass through Scarborough. It would help Scarberians in this part of town, who are every bit as likely to drive as their neighbours north of Steeles.

The point isn't that it's sprawl, it's that it's bad sprawl, worse than usual. Approving atypically bad sprawl and then not permitting proper road access is absurd.

Rouge Park

Again with the Road Widenings!

Argh, in this case, through Rouge Park.

If you look at the boundaries of Rouge Park this proposed widening skirts the edge of the park and passes by (and would expropriate from) some of the few remaining farms with quaint old farm houses.

If this were being done in order to create an urban-dense node, one that will be served by transit, it would nonetheless be lamentable.....but perhaps justifiable...

But to plough up another country lane, for more paved-over paradise, only to accomodate another sprawling mess that will ulimately harm the environment, lengthen, not shorten commutes, and cost the taxpayer god knows how much in new infrastructure from schools to hospitals etc....

Four lanes is better than six.....but two is just fine.

I don't think councillors have any idea what Toronto's building up in Morningside Heights. I can't remember how many times I've heard councillors go on about the need for light rail to the fast-growing Morningside Heights area, without seeming to realize that the growth consists of big houses on culs-de-sac that don't even have sidewalks.

The answer is easy. When you have the opportunity to build greenfield developments, you build sprawl no matter what the planning background, area code, city, province, or country. Morningside Heights is brought to you by the same city planners that are responsible for development at Yonge and Bloor.

When you're talking sprawl of this magnitude, the number of roads that are built doesn't matter because people will drive anyway. This isn't North York where people would swing either way depending on the quality of the transit system. I see nothing wrong with building the by-pass through Scarborough. It would help Scarberians in this part of town, who are every bit as likely to drive as their neighbours north of Steeles.

The neighbourhood just south of the railway along Morningside is built differently. If they built Morningside Heights like they did Malvern, it would have been better off.

I don't think councillors have any idea what Toronto's building up in Morningside Heights. I can't remember how many times I've heard councillors go on about the need for light rail to the fast-growing Morningside Heights area, without seeming to realize that the growth consists of big houses on culs-de-sac that don't even have sidewalks.

The light rail is only going to have one stop in Morningside Heights.

"Build six lanes so one day we can have LRT". Hahaha Shelley Carroll, like the Yorkies will give up the two lanes when that time comes. Isn't it enough that York is getting the Sorbara Subway while Torontonians will be on the hook for 100% of the operating deficit?

Steeles Avenue is one of the 10 worst roads in Ontario because of their unwillingness to cost-share maintenance, and even though the staff report tries to make it contingent on sorting that out I worry we'll let them get away with it long into the future.

The light rail is only going to have one stop in Morningside Heights.

That's what makes it all even more ridiculous - they go on about the desperate need to serve Morningside Heights but the Morningside line won't do any such thing. They're literally obsessed with bringing as much transit as possible to Malvern (quantity over quality) and so we'll get an RT extension and two streetcar ROWs, and none of this will even serve the middle of Malvern where the mall, the high schools, and the apartments are. Kind of ironic that MoveOntario's Midtown GO line will do more for Malvern than the more than $2 billion of stuff proposed by the city.

One current point of redemption in Morningside Heights: Baird Sampson Neuert's Thomas L. Wells Public School...

Again with the Road Widenings!

Argh, in this case, through Rouge Park.

If you look at the boundaries of Rouge Park this proposed widening skirts the edge of the park and passes by (and would expropriate from) some of the few remaining farms with quaint old farm houses.

Leave Rouge Park alone, IMO. On Saturday I took my Triumph motorcycle through the park, and it was amazing through the twisties.

This has to be the most retarded road project ever--a pure NIMBY pleaser if I ever saw one. Who is actually going to drive along that ridiculously long roundabout road end-to-end? What makes it doubly stupid is that the original (logical) plan to link Morningside/9th Line was cancelled considering that Box Grove is now bypassed by 9th Line.

Back