News   Apr 26, 2024
 255     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 757     0 

Ban on Noisy Car Mufflers and Sound Boosters

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.leaderpost.com/entertainment/Noisy+cars+Regina+Mayor+Fiacco/2267048/story.html

Noisy cars on way out: Regina Mayor Pat Fiacco

By Joe Couture, The Leader-Post November 27, 2009

They're loud and fast -- and he's furious.

Regina Mayor Pat Fiacco took aim at noisy cars, trucks and motorcycles -- particularly those with after-market modifications, like mufflers, that make them noisier -- at Wednesday's monthly board of police commissioners meeting.

The mayor asked Chief Troy Hagen to have a report ready by January from the Regina Police Service detailing possible strategies to address noisy vehicles.

"We started the ball rolling; the ultimate goal is to have these products right off the market," Fiacco told reporters.

Fiacco said the issue of loud vehicles arose in discussions with residents of Regina's south Albert Street area. He noted the concern also is a common one in the city's north and southeast areas.

"One of the things we brag about in this country is this wonderful quality of life," Fiacco continued. "Part of (that quality of life) is being able to sleep at night without these vehicles or motorcycles causing these loud noise disruptions. It's a question of safety, as well."

Hagen said the police service has received complaints for many years about noisy vehicles. He noted it would be premature to speculate on what the report will recommend, but pointed to efforts in the past to enforce noise-related regulations under the Highway Traffic act.

"Enforcement efforts have been ongoing for many years," Hagen told reporters. "It's unlikely we're going to be successful in eradicating, through enforcement, the problem in its entirety. I think we've made a positive difference, but there's still concern in the community.

"As long as after-market items are being sold that create a high level of noise, it's difficult for us to keep up with it."

Efforts against noise need to go beyond enforcement, said Fiacco.

"What can we do to prevent it from happening, period?" he asked, adding he hopes the report will have answers. "It would be nice if we could just prevent these products from simply being sold."

A ban on the sale of products would require authority beyond that of municipal-level government, Fiacco noted.

He said he would raise the issue with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities Big City Mayors Caucus in January.

"It's not just a Regina problem," Fiacco said. "It's a national problem." He added he expects support from other municipalities and senior governments.

Also on Wednesday, crime statistics for October were released. From January to the end of that month, compared to the same period of 2008, there were decreases in both violent crime (1.1 per cent) and property crime (10.6 per cent).

"It's positive," Hagen said. "I think what it really reflects is a continuation of a longer trend we've been seeing and realizing for the past couple of years now."

Fiacco called the figures "good news."

"Obviously, nobody wants to have any crime. That would be the ideal situation. But the fact we're continuing to see reductions year over year is a good trend."

This would be good to see in Toronto. We need to look at all ways possible to reduce noise in the city. This kind of is an easy step because music can be enjoyed in a car without forcing the whole neighbourhood to listen to it.

This reminds me of a recent South Park episode where motorcyclists desperate for attention go out of their way to annoy the whole town even as far as to imitate muffler noise when no one's noticing them. Watch it if you have the time.

sp_1312_promo01.jpg

This would be good to see in Toronto. We need to look at all ways possible to reduce noise in the city. This kind of is an easy step because music can be enjoyed in a car without forcing the whole neighbourhood to listen to it.

It's a city, noise is part of the character. Don't get me wrong, I live on a major street and from time to time hear noisy cars and cars playing loud music. That said, they make an almost completely insignificant contribution to the daily amount of noise I hear. The real noise culprits are sirens and buses, and sometimes dogs. The regular diesel engine sound is tremendously loud, god help it if it has to stop. That kneeling sound can be very well heard from blocks away! Should we ban buses, emergency vehicles, and pets? No, because by living downtown (or uptown - wherever there is heavy traffic) in a city you consent to an unwritten agreement that you can stand a little noise once in a while.

We already have laws preventing most types of vehicle modification, why further marginalize the car-savvy or music-listening crowd for little to no benefit? Is this not just another way to try and exert social control?

if a muffler is noisy, it's not doing its job.

Well, there's a long way between the 'fart-can' muffler that so called 'tuners' put on their Hondas and a car without a muffler (like a racecar). The muffler does its job, just, since it is a smaller one than a regular car muffler, not as much.

That Bubb Rubb guy always cracks me up.

I thought noisy mufflers were already illegal...but people still do it anyway. Trucks, buses and especially motorcycles are much much worse on noise.

They should crush the person's car if they have such a muffler attached. I used to live on a wide suburban street, and listening to the douchebags drive their 1992 Civics 100 kph at 2 am would piss me off quite a bit. And I was a student, who was often up at 2 am anyway. I can only imagine what it was like for the families that lived in that area.

This is the Greater Toronto Discussion, Transportation & Infrastructure forum, and this post is about Regina.

As far as I know, if your car is too loud here in Ontario, the police can pull you over and ticket you. I've been in a car where this happened, and the cop asked the driver to do something about the noise his car was making, or next time he would face a fine.

It's a city, noise is part of the character. Don't get me wrong, I live on a major street and from time to time hear noisy cars and cars playing loud music. That said, they make an almost completely insignificant contribution to the daily amount of noise I hear. The real noise culprits are sirens and buses, and sometimes dogs. The regular diesel engine sound is tremendously loud, god help it if it has to stop. That kneeling sound can be very well heard from blocks away! Should we ban buses, emergency vehicles, and pets? No, because by living downtown (or uptown - wherever there is heavy traffic) in a city you consent to an unwritten agreement that you can stand a little noise once in a while.

We already have laws preventing most types of vehicle modification, why further marginalize the car-savvy or music-listening crowd for little to no benefit? Is this not just another way to try and exert social control?

I live on a side street and in the summer I hear cars with loud stereos go by daily. You can't justify listening to music that loud.

There's absolutely no reason at all to accept noise as "part of the character of the city" and not do anything. I never consented to noise living in the west end. People have to live somewhere, and it's impractical and impossible for everyone to live in the countryside or on cul-de-sacs in low density suburbs. Though we have the choice of neighbourhoods, we essentially live where we have to. Some don't even have a choice, they have to live in the cheapest apartments they can find or in public housing.

We don't ban essentials like EMS and buses, but we could study ways to make them quieter. Electric vehicles are quieter. Transit ROWs, for instance, can be designed for EMS vehicles so that they can proceed without sirens. I noticed downtown that some ambulances only use their sirens in short bursts.

All in all, there are many options to reduce noise. The worst thing to do is to dismiss calls for improvement and say "if you don't like it, don't live in the city". Once again though, I suspect that the European Union will lead in this respect; they're already mapping out noise levels throughout their cities. It's the first step towards progress.

I live on a side street and in the summer I hear cars with loud stereos go by daily. You can't justify listening to music that loud.

There's absolutely no reason at all to accept noise as "part of the character of the city" and not do anything. I never consented to noise living in the west end. People have to live somewhere, and it's impractical and impossible for everyone to live in the countryside or on cul-de-sacs in low density suburbs. Though we have the choice of neighbourhoods, we essentially live where we have to. Some don't even have a choice, they have to live in the cheapest apartments they can find or in public housing.

We don't ban essentials like EMS and buses, but we could study ways to make them quieter. Electric vehicles are quieter. Transit ROWs, for instance, can be designed for EMS vehicles so that they can proceed without sirens. I noticed downtown that some ambulances only use their sirens in short bursts.

All in all, there are many options to reduce noise. The worst thing to do is to dismiss calls for improvement and say "if you don't like it, don't live in the city". Once again though, I suspect that the European Union will lead in this respect; they're already mapping out noise levels throughout their cities. It's the first step towards progress.

If they do go by daily, and it is bothering you to such an extent, you might want to consider some minor soundproofing in your presumably older west end home. My point was that it is very hard to remove lots of the noise from the city, such as barking dogs an the like, than to come to live with it. I'm kind of a noise stickler, but you know it's mostly things within the home that bother me rather than on the street. Maybe that is due to living in a relatively modern building with better insulation; I'm not a builder so I couldn't tell you. To my experience the relatively loud cars come at most once a day. They are only one sound among thousands in daily life.

I still think that it's better for those people driving to show respect towards a residential neighbourhood. And if they don't, then legislation needs to be brought in. With our often comfortable northern summers, particularly in August and September, keeping the windows open is a good idea rather than using the air conditioner. Soundproofing only goes so far. But the idea of reducing noise goes beyond that. It can make parks and outdoor patios around the city more enjoyable.

Back