News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Baltimore, Maryland

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was in Baltimore for a conference where I presented for a 10-minute talk on some of the research that our office is doing.

Baltimore consistently ranks in the top five most dangerous large cities in the United States. However, unlike Detroit, which has a small, struggling downtown with very few downtown residents, Baltimore has a very strong downtown with a vibrant waterfront. The only bits of Baltimore I have seen was from that very good 1990s television crime-drama, Homicide: Life on the Street. There is a lot of poverty in the city – the main employer, Bethlehem Steel, used to employ over 15,000 workers, what's left of the plant barely employs one-fifth that.

Baltimore was one of the first US cities to attempt a downtown revitalization. In the 1970s, the only thing that would draw tourists was Fort McHenry, an early American fort protecting the city and its harbour. During the War of 1812, British troops stationed in Canada burned down Washington (including the White House) and tried the same in Baltimore. The successful American defense led to that country's national anthem.

Flying in.

Johns Hopkins is next to some of Baltimore's poorest neighbourhoods.

Baltimore1.jpg

Baltimore2.jpg

Baltimore3.jpg

Baltimore4.jpg

Baltimore5.jpg

Baltimore6.jpg

Baltimore7.jpg

Baltimore8.jpg

Baltimore9.jpg

Baltimore10.jpg

Baltimore11.jpg

Baltimore13.jpg

Baltimore14.jpg

Baltimore15.jpg

Baltimore16.jpg

Baltimore17.jpg

Baltimore18.jpg

Baltimore19.jpg

Baltimore20.jpg

Baltimore21.jpg

Baltimore22.jpg

Baltimore23.jpg

Baltimore24.jpg

Baltimore25.jpg

Walking towards Fell's Point. Very gentrified, new condos and townhouses in with old shops and warehouses. This is the less touristy part of Baltimore Inner Harbor.

Baltimore26.jpg

Baltimore27.jpg

Baltimore28.jpg

Baltimore29.jpg

Baltimore30.jpg

Baltimore31.jpg

Baltimore32.jpg

Baltimore33.jpg

Baltimore34.jpg

Baltimore35.jpg

Baltimore36.jpg

Baltimore37.jpg

Baltimore38.jpg

Baltimore39.jpg

Baltimore40.jpg

Baltimore41.jpg

Baltimore42.jpg

Baltimore43.jpg

Baltimore44.jpg

Baltimore45.jpg

Baltimore46.jpg

Baltimore47.jpg

Baltimore48.jpg

Baltimore49.jpg

Baltimore50.jpg

Baltimore51.jpg

The first night I was there was Halloween. Edgar Allen Poe was raised here, and he died here, and buried in a cemetary which was later occupied by a church (Westminster Presby). The grounds are now owned by the University of Maryland. They hosted a Halloween nigh tour which was very well done, where you could tour the cemetery, including the catacombs – the graves covered by the church that was built later in the 19th century. An organist inside the church was dressed up and playing old horror movie classics, and there were regular readings of Poe's work. The $5 admission included unlimited popcorn and apple cider. The best performance was "Frank the body Snatcher", a prof who dresses up and tells the story of a man hired by the university to obtain cadavers for teaching.

Baltimore52.jpg

Baltimore53.jpg

Baltimore54.jpg

Baltimore55.jpg

Baltimore56.jpg

Baltimore57.jpg

Baltimore58.jpg

Baltimore59.jpg

I really like the Maryland flag.

Baltimore60.jpg

Baltimore61.jpg

Baltimore62.jpg

Baltimore63.jpg

Baltimore64.jpg

Baltimore65.jpg

Baltimore66.jpg

Baltimore67.jpg

Baltimore68.jpg

Baltimore69.jpg

Baltimore70.jpg

Baltimore71.jpg

On the last full day I was in Baltimore, I took a walk away from the harbour, planning to see Mount Vernon, a historic neighbourhood where the arts institutions are located. I first had lunch in Lexington Market. The market is made up mostly of food stalls, selling everything from roast beef sandwiches to fresh fish. There are at least 10 different fried chicken outlets.

On Fridays, Lexington Market has live jazz and blues performances in the main seating area. There are stand-up tables in the middle, and upstairs, a balcony with seating. The market building is relatively modern, but in an old style – but a market existed on the site since 1787. A great place to have a lunch.

Baltimore72.jpg

Howard Street near Lexington, up towards Mount Vernon.

Baltimore73.jpg

Baltimore74.jpg

Baltimore75.jpg

Baltimore76.jpg

Mount Vernon is a tiny slice of New England or Europe. It is where there are several art galleries, the Peabody Institute, an art school, and a touch of gay culture, a few bars and shops catering to the small community. The library in the Peabody Institute is spectacular, as is the Catholic Basilica (Maryland was originally founded by a English Catholic noble, and was the first to establish a sort of religious freedom, it was one colony where Catholics were welcome, unlike much of Puritanical Colonies). Maryland stayed int he Union (with reluctance, but was a slave state. I took a picture of the slaves' balcony in the Basilica below).

Baltimore77.jpg

Baltimore78.jpg

Baltimore79.jpg

Baltimore80.jpg

Baltimore81.jpg

Baltimore82.jpg

Baltimore83.jpg

Baltimore84.jpg

Baltimore85.jpg

Baltimore86.jpg

Baltimore87.jpg

Baltimore88.jpg

Baltimore89.jpg

Baltimore90.jpg

Baltimore91.jpg

Baltimore92.jpg

The original Washington Monument.

Baltimore93.jpg

Baltimore94.jpg

Baltimore95.jpg

The Maryland Historical Society building has old exterior signs on its building. As I took this pic, I had Adma in mind.

Baltimore96.jpg

Baltimore97.jpg

Baltimore98.jpg

Baltimore99.jpg

Camden Yards - an old B&O warehouse and station were incorporated into the first of the retro ball parks.

Baltimore100.jpg

Baltimore101.jpg

Baltimore102.jpg

Baltimore103.jpg

Bromo Seltzer Tower. Seriously.

Baltimore104.jpg

Baltimore105.jpg

Baltimore106.jpg

Baltimore107.jpg

Baltimore108.jpg

I took both light rail and subway. Both systems are fairly simple, thought the light rail offers connections to BWI and Penn Station (though only every 30 minutes off-peak). The LRT is mostly in old railway and interurban lines (and light rail is often scenic both north and south). Downtown, it runs on Howard Street (the part of Baltimore that largely missed gentrification), and looks not so great.

Baltimore112.jpg

Baltimore110.jpg

Baltimore111.jpg

Baltimore113.jpg

Baltimore114.jpg

Baltimore115.jpg

Penn Station, on my way to DC.

Baltimore116.jpg

Baltimore117.jpg

Baltimore118.jpg

excellent photos! i go to Baltimore quite a bit for work but i generally stay around the inner harbour or fell's point. great to see some different parts of the city, especially mount vernon. i did once go to another company office out by the Security Mall and took a cab through some seriously bad parts of town, like really really bad.

Over 80 percent black?

... Baltimore is over 80 percent Black, and consistently ranks in the top five most dangerous large cities in the United States. Baltimore was one of the first US cities to attempt a downtown revitalization.

Those are quality photos SeanTrans.

I regularly visit Maryland every four or five years, because I have a dear friend, originally from Delaware, that lives there.

Baltimore is one of those places that you have to be careful about where you roam. But like most of Maryland, it is filled with historical sites that are worthy of a visit or two, and these photos prove it. After 250-300 M USD, or there about, the Inner Harbor was a major investment for Baltimore when planned in the 1960s.

SeanTrans, while most of the population of Baltimore is black, it is more like 65% rather than over 80% if memory serves. That was at least true when the last census was taken, and it is about that today, you hear that figure quoted everywhere. If you have seen something that contradicts this, however, by all means correct me. I do know this, the entire population of this city has steadily declined over the past few years, and it is evidenced everywhere. It was about 650,000 in 2000, and it is closer to 600,000 to-day.

I love to partake in seafood there, especially crab cakes, and the most recommended place is Phillips Harborplace Restaurant, located in that Inner Harbor.

Zephyr: Thanks for the correction. Yeah, that was an old stat that was mentioned at the conference (this was based on a long-term study) I was at (with population decline citywide but increase of a mostly white population in the inner harbour area, this changed, as is also happening in nearby Washington). I think it is now about 80% African and Hispanic.

I had crab cakes there. Very good. And I also repeat that Lexington Market is really worth checking out. I also glad I checked out more of the city than the immediate Harbor area, as many visitors only do.

Baltimore5.jpg

great wayfinding signage. i also noticed they had similar signs in philadelphia pointing out the major areas. however they didn't have the metro and light rail signs.

Baltimore17.jpg
the aquarium in baltimore is amazing. i remember going there as a kid which was 10x more fasinating. different levels of sea life, rain forest, etc.

Baltimore20.jpg

great reuse of a building.

Baltimore92.jpg

wow! amazing library. beautiful detail.

great pics sean. really reminds me of philly but i guess all those cities are from the same time and have a lot of similarities with one another. just out of curiousity, how much was transit there? and how much did it cost to get down to washington?

Smuncky -

Amtrak is as low as $13 if booked in advance from Penn Station to Washington Union, typically though about $15-21. Acela Express (which I did for the hell of it) is around $34.

MARC is a bit cheaper, but runs only Monday-Friday.

Light rail/Metro/Bus is $1.35 a ride, but no transfer privileges except between the light rail branches. But a day pass, good for all non-express routes (which need a $0.40 top up) is $3.50. Light rail runs every 20 minutes on each branch in peak, every 30 minutes otherwise.

Thanks for the tour, Sean. Baltimore is a great example of second rate American cities having much more interesting historic architecture than we do.

Baltimore,Maryland-Quite an interesting city!

Sean: Good Baltimore pics! I spent time visiting there especially in the 1984-88 time period-staying at the Youth Hostel which was located on Mulberry Street diagonally across from the Enoch Pratt library in a restored brownstone.

You flew into BWI-that#2 pic looks SW;#3 looks due W at Downtown,The Inner Harbor and Federal Hill-that square park on the left. The Camden Yards area with the two stadiums are behind that long rectangular building.#4 is looking N with Fort McHenry down below. #8 is the old Maryland National Bank building;
#9-I remember when those BAL METRO pylons were new when the Metro first opened in 1983. #16-17-The National Aquarium; Around pic#44 is Fells Point and Little Italy;#49-the Shot Tower;#59-the MD and BAL City flags-the MD flag was designed after the colors/crests of MDs two founding families;#64-BAL's WTC with the USS Constitution I believe;#69-70 Baltimore's City Hall;#74-75 Howard Street Light Rail and later the Washington Monument off Charles Street-arguably BAL's nicest neighborhood. The Bromo Seltzer Tower is a BAL landmark. At BAL Penn Station the stained glass ceiling was restored along with the station in the 80s-it was covered over in the 40s as a WWII air-raid precaution. The MARC rail equipment is neat also-their new bilevels are quite nice.

There are some interesting neighborhoods in BAL-but as I learned that you should know where to go so you do not wander into a dangerous neighborhood. I remember a E BAL neighborhood called Highlandtown-I remember visiting people there and I recall those really nice rowhouses-with marble stoops. Good pics again,Sean! LI MIKE

Back