News   Jul 15, 2024
 660     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 822     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 618     0 

Bailey bridges in and around toronto

Recent pictures of the pedestrian bridge. Didn't look like much process had been made on the car bridge.

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

i followed with interest the thread started by Lone Primate on lost roads/indian line. i was reminded about the bailey bridge that was placed over the humber river to temporarily replace the bridge washed out by hurricane hazel in 1954. it remained in use until the mid 1980's when the 427 was completed to just north of the humber river.

I remember the Indian Line Bailey Bridge across the Humber as I used it often in the late 1970's and early 1980's. I have been looking for a photo of it for years, but have never been able to find one. Anyone know where a photo might be???

I am starting a website (lostontario.ca) dedicated to historic places and infrastructure of Ontario, including the GTA with an idea to start capturing photos of places before they change or disappear. I would be interested in any photos people might have from 1950 - 1990 or so that show how places looked that are now gone.

Last edited:
There is a single-lane Bailey bridge over the Speed River in Guelph.

Bridge is now complete. It only took 3 years.

DSCN4620.jpg

i was down there last weekend and saw that it had finally been completed.. why on earth is it only a single lane? isn't there expected to be an increase in traffic in that area seeing as how it's been made into a massive park? or is it intended to be temporary?

the pedestrian bridge and related improvements to the path are nice though

There's one at each of the crossings at Twin Rivers, Sewells and Finch at the Rouge River, and one where Meadowvale crosses the Little Rouge. (All in the Rouge Valley)

It's odd that they kept it to 1 lane. With all the future development planned in the area, including an LRT ROW on Unwin, you'd think they would have taken that into account...

Port Hope - Barrett Street

In Port Hope, east of Toronto, there is a bailey bridge crossing the Ganaraska River that's been in place since about 1980.

Back