News   May 07, 2024
 216     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 624     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

as the saying goes, "a rising tide lifts all boats".

so when the economy was booming and pre-con condos would sell out within months, most didn't care about layout, location, view or price.

with the onslaught of 10,000s units registering in next couple years, renters and buyers can and will be more choosey.

as you know, there are many buildings/units in the entertainment district just this year with many looking to sell on MLS or as assignments with unrealistic prices so they'll either have to sell at a loss or end up renting them out (at possibly negative monthly cash flow)
with home ownership over 70% in GTA

Agree CDR.
I am wondering which will be the winning and which will be the losing buildings.
I tend to think most units inside bedrooms will be losers as will the bowling alley suites.
I also think the huge towers with a lot of units will have trouble as a fair number will be on
rent/sale at the same time.
Should prove interesting.
The entertainment district does have the advantage in my view of being a walk to the core,
a lot going on and I believe the amenities (shopping etc) will only improve.
I worry more about some of the projects on the East side of Yonge which presently sell for somewhat less
but seem to rent for the same amount as the West side. I just can't see that holding if we go into a buyers/
renters market. Just my view.
I realize there are some great East spots, in particular the St. Lawrence Market area in my view and possibly the
Distillery District but I have concerns about some of the other areas.

Im in the process of completing a purchase of a large 450sqft studio as we speak! The tone of this conversation is getting to me.
let you all know how it goes:)

Im in the process of completing a purchase of a large 450sqft studio as we speak! The tone of this conversation is getting to me.
let you all know how it goes:)
X2

congratulations.

not to be a party pooper but I hope it's not the studio floorplan (Lancaster) that I think.
the bathroom should have been laid out 90* with the longest length parallel to the exterior hallway wall, thereby providing a slightly longer LR/DR/kitchen at 18'3" x 16'3"

Interesting discussion, especially for someone who is looking to buy right now.

I was looking at some bigger units in the bloor/Sherbourne area ($525/ft) vs high priced units in St Lawrence Market/Distillery area ($630/ft) and still trying to figure out which can sustain a dip in the market. You'd think St. Lawrence Market but there's a lot of value and potential at B&S. Entertainment District is nice but does not warrant such sky high prices. People are dying to give away units in a lot of those buildings. That area is about to be swimming in shoeboxes.

If you can find a good size 2 bedroom outside of Cityplace and Liberty Village, you should be OK though mainly due to lack of supply.

Migos,
most people do not look to move in February, especially when there is a foot of snow on the ground.
I would like to see how fast these buildings rent and what is left say after May 1.

I don't know that Calgary will significantly affect Toronto, at least in the short term.
Oil has always been a boom/bust for Calgary. Oil prices will definitely affect it and if they stay low for 6 months or a year, I do believe homes, high priced ones especially and new condos will really hurt. I belive and perhaps may be corrected but Calgary and Alberta have had busts before without it affecting Toronto or Vancouver.

Migos: Thought this would be of interest further to what I posted here:

From the National Post today:

Low rates seen fuelling Toronto’s surging housing market as Alberta markets stall
Republish Reprint

Garry Marr | February 4, 2015 | Last Updated: Feb 4 8:16 AM ET
More from Garry Marr | @DustyWallet
While sales in Calgary and Edmonton are plummeting, Toronto home prices are up almost 5%, with realtors predicting more increases to come amid near record-low interest rates.
National PostWhile sales in Calgary and Edmonton are plummeting, Toronto home prices are up almost 5%, with realtors predicting more increases to come amid near record-low interest rates.

The average price of a home sold in Toronto in January climbed 4.9% to $552,575, according to the Toronto Real Estate Board which predicts more increases in 2015 amid near record-low interest rates.
Stampede to sell houses in Calgary underway as new listings, inventory soar

Bank of CanadaNervous Calgary homeowners put their homes on the market in January, well outpacing demand, and creating conditions that could lead to a price collapse. Read on

Sales in Canada’s largest city also remained strong and climbed 6.1% last month from a year earlier.

With the Bank of Canada cutting rates, which has put the prime lending rate at 2.85%, and five-year fixed rate mortgages below 2.5% at some financial institutions, the board’s head of analysis thinks there could be even more room for price growth.

“Home price growth is forecast to continue in 2015. Lower borrowing costs will largely mitigate price growth this year, which means affordability will remain in check. The strongest rates of price growth will be experienced for low-rise home types, including singles, semis and town houses. However, robust end-user demand for condo apartments will result in above-inflation price growth in the high-rise segment as well,” Jason Mercer, director of market analysis, for TREB, said in a statement.

The Toronto news follows a report from Vancouver which shows its market also remains strong even as Alberta sales have fallen drastically. New listings have spiked in Calgary and Edmonton and that is expected to put pressure on prices.

On Tuesday Edmonton reported sales were down 26% in January from a year earlier while Calgary reported a 39% decline during the same period. Meanwhile, Vancouver reported a strong 8.7% gain in sales last month from a year earlier with prices 5.5% during the same period.

Benjamin Tal, deputy chief economist with CIBC, said there is very little likelihood that the price decline expected in Alberta will affect the rest of the country.

“It’s very difficult to imagine a scenario where Alberta will have a significant effect on the rest of the country,” said Mr. Tal, referring to house prices.

In Toronto, there appeared to no impact as the average price of detached homes inches closer to $1-million. Prices in that category in the city rose 7% from a year to $948,713.

“The January results represented good news on multiple fronts. First, strong sales growth suggests home buyers continue to see housing as a quality long-term investment, despite the recent period of economic uncertainty. Second, the fact that new listings grew at a faster pace than sales suggests that it has become easier for some people to find a home that meets their needs,” said Paul Etherington, president of the board, in a release.

As all those people leave the oil projects and the migration goes from West back to East (at least that is what I am expecting), that may well put some support under the Toronto market at least in the short term

I know they quote Bank economists and realtors. With the usual caveats of vested interests I too believe that past history has taught us that Alberta can go down without it taking the rest of the country with it when oil busts. I guess we will have to see.
However, I do believe that since oil is such a large part of the Canadian economic growth now, it will affect. Also, the psyche in Toronto may be affected as Ontario is not doing well economically despite the lower dollar and the added burden of worrying about oil and its effect on the economy may affect prices here. However, I fear many buyers, especially newer younger ones, do not consider the greater macro picture to a significant enough degree.

Last edited:
I agree interested. I was trying to make the point that Canada's economy is in a precarious situation and that could be the trigger for a crash. Calgary would be the first example but certainly falling real estate in Calgary doesn't necessarily impact Toronto. As you pointed out, it's the macro issues I am most concerned with. I am staying away from all Canadian asset classes, including stocks.

Back