News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

Worst in British Columbia may be behind us,’ David Rosenberg says of real estate Add to ...

Michael Babad

The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Jul. 10 2013, 12:51 PM EDT

Last updated Wednesday, Jul. 10 2013, 1:09 PM EDT

These are stories Report on Business is following Wednesday, July 10, 2013.

Follow Michael Babad and the Globe’s top business stories on Twitter.

Housing market tame
Softer housing markets are going to eat into economic growth in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia, according to new forecasts.

But “the worst in British Columbia may be behind us,” one economist says.

The residential real estate market is of huge concern in Canada, particularly since it began cooling a year ago with new mortgage restrictions brought in by the federal government.

Of late, it has illustrated signs of stability in the most recent indicators that include resale numbers, construction starts and building permits issued by municipalities.

“A soft landing at the national level masks regional disparities in housing market performance over the forecast horizon,” economist Jonathan Bendiner of Toronto-Dominion Bank said today.

“Outperforming markets will include those that can rely on above-average economic prospects – such as the Prairie provinces,” he added in his outlook.

“While Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia are expected to have their housing markets weigh on growth.”

Yesterday, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. reported a dip in housing starts in June, though construction remained strong. And earlier this week, Statistics Canada reported stronger issuance of building permits than had been expected. Add to that reports from several local real estate boards that suggest stability, as well, in the resale market.

“For all the horror stories out there surrounding Canadian residential real estate, the sector is actually holding in very well,” chief economist David Rosenberg of Gluskin Sheff + Associates said today.

“Note that the worst in British Columbia may be behind us as starts there shot up to 31,000 units from 23,000 in May to stand at the best level in a year,” he added.

The condominium market, particularly in Toronto, has been a big concern for many observers, including Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, who cited condos as an issue when he unveiled his latest round of mortgage rule tightening a year ago.

“I actually see the fact that multiple unit starts were down 15 per cent in Ontario as constructive news insofar as the data suggest that the condo builders are adjusting their construction schedules into line with new and lower sales realities, as such helping to forestall a more serious demand-supply imbalance and price erosion,” Mr. Rosenberg said today.

"Note that current permits and starts could still be responding, in the case of multiples, to pre-sales that took place months ago, so there could be a substantial lag before decelerating demand flows through to building."

‘Worst in British Columbia may be behind us,’ David Rosenberg says of real estate Add to ...

Michael Babad

The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Jul. 10 2013, 12:51 PM EDT

Last updated Wednesday, Jul. 10 2013, 1:09 PM EDT

These are stories Report on Business is following Wednesday, July 10, 2013.

Follow Michael Babad and the Globe’s top business stories on Twitter.

Housing market tame
Softer housing markets are going to eat into economic growth in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia, according to new forecasts.

But “the worst in British Columbia may be behind us,†one economist says.

What can one say to avoid imminent disaster?
We are nearing the middle of the month
Too bad that Vancouver does not have midmonth reports
Let's see what TREB makes out this first half's numbers

Edit: If it would be just that easy like on paper to solve this problem:
http://www.theprovince.com/business...y+turning+areas+into+ghost/8135204/story.html

Last edited:

Ben Myers rebuttal:

I will focus on the NY Times article first. I’m sure you’ve read similar articles to this one, and in relation to some of the others, this article is relatively tame. One thing that is amusing is that the article is viewed by many as being credible because it appears in the NY Times and it is an unbiased outside look at Toronto. Outside look? The author actually lives in Ottawa. Is it credible, does the author know, understand and cover real estate on a regular basis? He has recently written articles on Canada’s Worst Driver, Taser Deaths, Artic Camels, Maple Syrup Robbery, Prank Calling and Brothels, and according to his New York Times page, has not written or contributed to an article that included the word condo since 2005! Now I’m not writing this article to slag the journalist or the New York Times, I met Ian earlier this year and he is a very nice guy and I do not doubt he did extensive research for the article, I just wanted to point out he is not a New Yorker that bangs out pieces every day on the real estate market. But, I wanted to bring attention to ‘the other side’ on a few things he brought up.

More here:

http://fortressrealdevelopments.com/news/grim-prognosis-for-the-toronto-condo-market/

I did not bother to read the article because what you quoted is pure trash
That is attacking the person not his or her arguments.
If you wanted discuss it here either quote the article or the paragraphs that bothered or pleased you.
You quoting the attack makes me believe you agree with Ben Meyers which is lame. I wish I am wrong in your respect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Graham's_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement1.svg

Last edited:
June teranet is out: http://www.housepriceindex.ca/

There's been increases in May and June indicating that the real estate market is back to normal. Heck, even Victoria and Vancouver seem to be stabilizing.

Teranet is known for having a lag of 2-3 months
What you see there is the spike from April May :)

To see the ongoing real disaster for GTA go here:

http://tinyurl.com/n5wqrjc
http://tinyurl.com/m3rafw3
http://tinyurl.com/ntg832v

Tell those who sold under the average price of the last month that the Teranet index is up.
That would be a heck of a consolation

At most the SFH market is holding in Toronto although the sales have become alarming low.
I used to see around 60-70/day in April/May/June
July is a total different story: around 50/day.
Keep in mind that April/May/June were considered good months BUT well below the last year sales for the same month.

That being said, try to ignore the pumping up in the media, there is data available on the internet, take that, compile it and see with your own eyes.
If you are an investor get out while you still can!

Teranet is known for having a lag of 2-3 months
What you see there is the spike from April May :)

The lag is that they usually don't come out with their numbers until 2~3 months after (look at Publication Date vs Transaction Date). But they seem have jumped the gun on the numbers for June (someone had their coffee, maybe). Usually we would have gotten June numbers in August - it even says that the publication date is August. We probably won't get July numbers until September.

The lag is that they usually don't come out with their numbers until 2~3 months after (look at Publication Date vs Transaction Date). But they seem have jumped the gun on the numbers for June (someone had their coffee, maybe). Usually we would have gotten June numbers in August - it even says that the publication date is August. We probably won't get July numbers until September.

How many times in the past have they done this?
Have you looked at my links?

Tonight you will have Remax brainwashing the public on the national television
They have an article in The Star I believe, today
I am seeing increasing activity on the pumping side.
They can pump it as much as they want, the banks are not willing to take risks anymore and the buyers can't afford the prices. Period.
As for condos...they are simply too many and who needed one (and could get the money) for his own use already has one.
Again...I have stats calculated based on their data. These stats do not show a very bright picture. If it wasn't because I don't want to have any problems I would gladly make the data public. On www.greaterfool.ca the user CanadaWatchdog uses to publish monthly lists with sales. Grab those at the end of this month and see for yourself.
I am telling you ...we are in for a big surprise at the end of the month.TO&GTA condos and SFH in GTA will see negative appreciation. TO SFH will hardly see an increase (under 1%) THis is my forecast. No matter what happened in the past months and how they want to spin it ...you have data on my blog. See for yourself and don't blindly believe what you are being told

How many times in the past have they done this?
Have you looked at my links?

Tonight you will have Remax brainwashing the public on the national television
They have an article in The Star I believe, today
I am seeing increasing activity on the pumping side.
They can pump it as much as they want, the banks are not willing to take risks anymore and the buyers can't afford the prices. Period.
As for condos...they are simply too many and who needed one (and could get the money) for his own use already has one.
Again...I have stats calculated based on their data. These stats do not show a very bright picture. If it wasn't because I don't want to have any problems I would gladly make the data public. On www.greaterfool.ca the user CanadaWatchdog uses to publish monthly lists with sales. Grab those at the end of this month and see for yourself.
I am telling you ...we are in for a big surprise at the end of the month.TO&GTA condos and SFH in GTA will see negative appreciation. TO SFH will hardly see an increase (under 1%) THis is my forecast. No matter what happened in the past months and how they want to spin it ...you have data on my blog. See for yourself and don't blindly believe what you are being told

You're a lot like the pumpers. You're so convinced that you're right that you've lost your ability to be objective.

You're a lot like the pumpers. You're so convinced that you're right that you've lost your ability to be objective.

Do you mind to discuss the numbers that I pointed you to?
Those are sales are they are reported by MLS. Cold numbers, nothing else.
Let's ignore my bias or your bias, I can provide you the sales for this Monday and you do the maths yourself.
When you are done post the results here and show me what is pumped up in my numbers numbers....I will post them. For SFH you do not have much to calculate, under 50 homes per day (that is the lowest value since I started watching this)

Let's see if indeed when you calculate the values for condos you see something else than a forming crash...a snowball effect to say so ...
Are you in for this ?

It's ironic that these days the average home owner or average prospective home buyer seems more in tune with realistic expectations than both the omg-it's-all-gonna-majorly-crash-and-burn-tomorrow types and the real-estate-will-always-go-up types.

People seem more cautious about the direction of the market these days, and that's probably the correct attitude to take, instead of the histrionic attitudes some others have about this.

It's ironic that these days the average home owner or average prospective home buyer seems more in tune with realistic expectations than both the omg-it's-all-gonna-majorly-crash-and-burn-tomorrow types and the real-estate-will-always-go-up types.

People seem more cautious about the direction of the market these days, and that's probably the correct attitude to take, instead of the histrionic attitudes some others have about this.
This statement is ironic in itself

The irony is that the very home owners (I would rather call them mortgage owners) contributed big time to the very bubble that we are having these days
It is interesting how you call "realistic" a very well biased attitude. We have 70% ownership in Canada. Many have became owners lately, why would they favor or express a view that will show they made the wrong decision? Of course this biased attitude is dominant these days hence your conclusion that it must be right. But if it would be that simple we would never have housing bubbles

The always go up side is mostly muted these days.
Most of them are hopping that the things will hopefully stay as they are and it is not going to crash (the soft landing that nobody has seen so far in any other country).

Back