272     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

^ ^ ^

i completely agree.

for the life of me, i am confused why Canadian gov't hasn't implemented similar restrictions of property ownership by foreigners that alot of countries have done to prevent local R/E bubbles in response to QE1 and QE2.

ultimately, when things go badly, it will be the local residents that bear the brunt of the pain.

OK KA1. So the theory is that foreign buyers (Chinese) will keep the prices in Canada go up.
It is plausable in the short / mid term time frame. But longer term?
Do we have another historical example of G7 country / major economy where r/e prices are dictated in the long term
by foreign speculators?
Sure some "exotic" city-states like Monte Carlo and HK ... but Canada? If its true that these investors are coming in another
major wave it is actually a really bad news .... their actions may alter the timing of the bubble, but the adjustment will happen. The more they push prices this year, the greater the downward adjustment we will see.

This speaks to the question that I asked quite a while ago. Would the Chinese now start buying first in BC and then in Toronto if they could not invest in Bejing due to the new requirements.

This trend too will end badly I fear. I can't say when but let's play this out.

A number of foreign investors, be they Chinese or elsewhere buy and bid up the prices to a point where either the Canadian locals can no longer afford it or alternatively they decide they do not wish to live in a place where a significant amount of the population is non resident. Unfortunately, there may also be a segment that will not want to live there because the area is too foreign. I am not supportive of this but just stating it is unrealistic to not consider this as possible.

Prices increase and locals move out or even if they don't. Let's say something happens in China or elsewhere; eg. the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami or the economy in China overheats and the Chinese government puts further controls. My point is let's say an event that hits China more directly since we are talking about China in this article.

In Japan, they are repatriating their money now, expected to raise the Yen and put pressure on the USD and C$ and the Euro etc. If the Chinese say 3 years down the road decided en mass to repatriate for whatever reason, it would create a US style collapse at least in those markets that have been the beneficiary of all that foreign money.

My point is this is a large foreign investment that is not tied to Canada and can choose to leave at any time.
But this is great for those "speculator flippers in the short run". Problem is the rest of the population here will be left to clean up the mess when/if it occurs.

With all due respect Interested, you, once again, have it all wrong.

At one time, you were predicting decline in r/e prices during the last Winter. Then, it was early/late this year. And now, 3 years from now. The only thing you have been consistent about is the percentage decline in prices -- 10/15%. Even that is not going to happen.

Chinese investors are buying r/e with full payment. Money they have is surplus to their needs. They can not invest money in r/e locally. Hence, Canada-- Vancouver and, then, Toronto. In 3 year's time, these individuals will have saved additional funds. Things will have to go really bad for these individuals to cash-in their investment in Canada.

What's gona happen in 3 years? Nothing disastrous. Individuals who have bought or are buying units at $ 800+ sq ft in developments like The Bisha, Cinema Towers, Yorkville condos and the like will be laughing at us -- the chickens. That's what's gona happen.

OK KA1. So the theory is that foreign buyers (Chinese) will keep the prices in Canada go up.
It is plausable in the short / mid term time frame. But longer term?
Do we have another historical example of G7 country / major economy where r/e prices are dictated in the long term
by foreign speculators?
Sure some "exotic" city-states like Monte Carlo and HK ... but Canada? If its true that these investors are coming in another
major wave it is actually a really bad news .... their actions may alter the timing of the bubble, but the adjustment will happen. The more they push prices this year, the greater the downward adjustment we will see.

No, I am not at all saying that foreign buyers will make prices in Canada go up. They are part of a broad pool of individuals -- investors and individuals who need a place to live -- who will keep prices from going down sharply. Sideway, definitely. Up and down slightly, yes.

I bought the current unit that I live in RoCP1 in November 2001 at $ 310 sq/ft. Sales offices were deserted. I was being advised by 'seasoned' real estate investors to stay away from purchasing any r/e for a while. I was downsizing and I needed a place to live. I was gona pay the price in full. As such, any further decline in r/e prices did not bother me. Looking back, I wish I was 'daring' type and not a cautious chicken. There are plenty of individuals like me who need -- and not want -- a place to live. These individuals will have stabilising effect on any unnecessary decline in values.

OK KA1

I may have it wrong.

I hope so but I don't think so. Bubbles are very difficult to predict. It is usually when the last "fool in" with no one to replace him as in Ponzi scheme that the situation unravels.

Do I believe that fundamentals to real estate are no longer relevant? No in simple terms.

Maybe everyone will be laughing at us chickens.

However, if you believe what you just posted, should you not be going out and levering yourself for as much real estate as you can? Perhaps Chinese investors are buying with full payment. However, if they have to repatriate money for whatever reason as will now occur in Japan (at least that is what is expected), where do you thing this money is going to come from? Selling their assets that they use or these off shore investments and 2nd homes?

I don't know and am fully above board when I tell you I am not smart enough to know what will happen for sure or when.

I just remember that in Florida every year I went down all I heard was "new norm", real estate can only go up, boomers will all retire to Florida, they are not making any more ocean front....
That was until 2007. Then everyone was in denial as the market dropped up to 60% in some markets.

Money from China deposited in Toronto or Vancouver or elsewhere will go where the stability and return can be made.

In the article you posted from the Globe and Mail there was an interesting comment from someone who was Chinese who stated that Chinese are huge gamblers. Also there is a heard mentality at present. Do you not at least consider KA1 that perhaps heard mentality can change and then ask yourself, when people want out, if it is in fact this foreign investment from outside Canada and from China in particular who will step in to support the prices? Not the locals, they are being priced out of these markets.

Anyhow, eventually I will be right. It may take 30 years but at one point prices will adjust. You got a small wiff of it in 2008-2009. Massive stimulus helped. That too was to last a short time. Then it stretched to QE2, then ?perhaps QE3 though I don't think that will happen.

There is so much external manipulation going on with massive amounts of liquidity which at some point will have to be removed and then suddenly maybe things will start to come back to Earth.

Finally, you and I will both be smiling, because if Cinema Towers will fetch $800+ and go up, then your Aura and my SL will surely at least maintain if not become even more valuable. I am not greedy KA!.

I recall a wonderful expression my father had: I can only eat 1 steak.

The above said, then I guess we were both brilliant or read lucky that we bought when we did in 2001, 2007 and 2008 because at least what we have should maintain its present values with your belief if this is how the universe unfolds.

And yes , my prediction does get pushed out further in the future. I just point out that Florida is back at 2002 levels in 2011. I sold there in 2003 a property I had because it made no sense when it had doubled and I was not happy as it merrily increased in value to 2006-2007. Now the property I sold is worth less than I sold it for. I was wrong in 2003 missing the mark by 3 years there. I learned a long time ago... you can't pick the bottom nor the top unless very lucky. All you can do is ask oneself is there a rationale reason for accepting the prices as they are?

Finally, I personally would rather talk about what I did not make rather that what I actually lost. Which is why I will never be rich. But I sleep at night. LOL

Last edited:
No, I am not at all saying that foreign buyers will make prices in Canada go up. They are part of a broad pool of individuals -- investors and individuals who need a place to live -- who will keep prices from going down sharply. Sideway, definitely. Up and down slightly, yes.

I bought the current unit that I live in RoCP1 in November 2001 at $ 310 sq/ft. Sales offices were deserted. I was being advised by 'seasoned' real estate investors to stay away from purchasing any r/e for a while. I was downsizing and I needed a place to live. I was gona pay the price in full. As such, any further decline in r/e prices did not bother me. Looking back, I wish I was 'daring' type and not a cautious chicken. There are plenty of individuals like me who need -- and not want -- a place to live. These individuals will have stabilising effect on any unnecessary decline in values.

Big assumption Ka1: These individuals locally can't afford these prices. Besides, with condos as you no doubt know, it is not the cost to buy but the cost to run it which is the killer (taxes, condo fees etc).
Of course I agree if I knew that R/E would just continue to rise from 2001, I would have levered myself as much as possible. We are all brilliant in hindsite. In fact, I can predict the past correctly almost 100% of the time. Haha.

OK KA1

I may have it wrong.

I hope so but I don't think so. Bubbles are very difficult to predict. It is usually when the last "fool in" with no one to replace him as in Ponzi scheme that the situation unravels.

Do I believe that fundamentals to real estate are no longer relevant? No in simple terms.

Maybe everyone will be laughing at us chickens.

However, if you believe what you just posted, should you not be going out and levering yourself for as much real estate as you can? Perhaps Chinese investors are buying with full payment. However, if they have to repatriate money for whatever reason as will now occur in Japan (at least that is what is expected), where do you thing this money is going to come from? Selling their assets that they use or these off shore investments and 2nd homes?

I don't know and am fully above board when I tell you I am not smart enough to know what will happen for sure or when.

I just remember that in Florida every year I went down all I heard was "new norm", real estate can only go up, boomers will all retire to Florida, they are not making any more ocean front....
That was until 2007. Then everyone was in denial as the market dropped up to 60% in some markets.

Money from China deposited in Toronto or Vancouver or elsewhere will go where the stability and return can be made.

In the article you posted from the Globe and Mail there was an interesting comment from someone who was Chinese who stated that Chinese are huge gamblers. Also there is a heard mentality at present. Do you not at least consider KA1 that perhaps heard mentality can change and then ask yourself, when people want out, if it is in fact this foreign investment from outside Canada and from China in particular who will step in to support the prices? Not the locals, they are being priced out of these markets.

Anyhow, eventually I will be right. It may take 30 years but at one point prices will adjust. You got a small wiff of it in 2008-2009. Massive stimulus helped. That too was to last a short time. Then it stretched to QE2, then ?perhaps QE3 though I don't think that will happen.

There is so much external manipulation going on with massive amounts of liquidity which at some point will have to be removed and then suddenly maybe things will start to come back to Earth.

Finally, you and I will both be smiling, because if Cinema Towers will fetch $800+ and go up, then your Aura and my SL will surely at least maintain if not become even more valuable. I am not greedy KA!.

I recall a wonderful expression my father had: I can only eat 1 steak.

The above said, then I guess we were both brilliant or read lucky that we bought when we did in 2001, 2007 and 2008 because at least what we have should maintain its present values with your belief if this is how the universe unfolds.

And yes , my prediction does get pushed out further in the future. I just point out that Florida is back at 2002 levels in 2011. I sold there in 2003 a property I had because it made no sense when it had doubled and I was not happy as it merrily increased in value to 2006-2007. Now the property I sold is worth less than I sold it for. I was wrong in 2003 missing the mark by 3 years there. I learned a long time ago... you can't pick the bottom nor the top unless very lucky. All you can do is ask oneself is there a rationale reason for accepting the prices as they are?

Finally, I personally would rather talk about what I did not make rather that what I actually lost. Which is why I will never be rich. But I sleep at night. LOL

Interested, if you pomise to not to get upset or loose your temper, then, I would like to repeat what I have said in an earlier post, "you are once again wrong, Interested".

Comparing real estate in downtown Toronto, and that too in core downtown, to Florida is akin to comparing a banana with an apple -- a rotton apple too.

When you talk about having made money in Florida real estate, it reminds me of a story. During a hunting trip, an individual handed over gun to his blind friend while he went for a leak. During the absence, gun, accidently, went off and hit a duck. After that, this blind man started describing himself as a 'sharp shooter'.

If you had consulted someone like Redfirm or myself, we would have advised you to not to invest in Florida real estate -- very high local property taxes, regulatory compliance requirements of IRS and other headaches. It is better to rent a property in Florida or any other 'sun' cities rather than buy. You are lucky that you made money in this transaction.

I bought a unit in AURA at $ 700.00 sq ft, on 'Executive' floors while the units on the 'peasant' floors below were going for $ 550.00 sq ft. Once again, I will be paying the price of unit at $ 800,000 in full. Price going up or down will not bother me. During the last few years of my life, I will have the satisfaction of looking down upon others from my unit way above in the sky. And if I was to have money to pay for a unit in full, even at $ 800.00 sq. ft, I will buy a unit. Just as your father said "1 stake at one time", 1 fully paid unit at one time.

Economy, and r/e prices, are not going down as it is being predicted by others. This is Canada and not USA.

Ka1,
I promise I won't get upset. I don't get upset when people have rationale discussions and provide reasons as to why they come up with conclusions. And I am certainly big enough to admit when I am wrong. I am just not convinced that that is the case. Incidently, in Florida I sold for 5x what the original cost was in USD and 7x the cost when converted in C$. I wish all my investments were that bad. I do not believe for a moment that it was skill. It was blind luck but it was not bought to make money. It was bought for enjoyment.

The point with Florida is that I choose to own a place( which I still do which is worth about 50% more than bought for as it was bought 20 years ago and this is allowing for the currency exchange. This is a terrible investment but I have it there because I like going to my own place. Some decisions are not investment decisions but lifestyle. I approach a condo in Florida very differently than a rental condo in the City core.

I agree Florida is not T.O. I was pointing it out for the example that "it can't happen here". Ka, yes we have a real economy in the City of Toronto, and yes there are high paying jobs which do not exist to the degree in Miami for eg. but that does not change the fact that house prices are rising far faster than incomes. At some point, it simply becomes unaffordable.

the one thing I have learned as I get old and grey and unfortunately not much wiser, is that it is impossible to predict what will happen. Events one cannot even imagine occur that no one can plan for. Hence why "economics" is called the "dismal science".

I am intrigued with one comment in your post. You are saying you would buy in Aura today for $800/sq.ft. as an investment if you had the money. So are you saying this because you would be speculating on flipping it, because surely you are not going to tell me that you would be able to justify it as a rental property. I am curious as to your rationale. I can only conclude you believe Chinese and other foreign investors are going to keep coming in massive numbers because TO will keep going up in value. Is this your view?

Last edited:
could this be the black swan event ...

Japan's Nikkei -14%

Japan stock crash threatens global markets

Quote: " Economy, and r/e prices, are not going down as it is being predicted by others. This is Canada and not USA."

Wow KA1 .. I understand (local) patriotism but you just took it to another level. Sorry, but I do not agree with this statement at all. I love TO and Canada, but c'mon ... our economy is so dependent, and quite honestly, "mickey mouse"
compared to what's going on in the world. Our economy can go down, and r/e prices can go down actually very fast. If this economy is so powerful we wouldn't have these moronic low interest rates. We wouldn't have record borrowings
on both national and personal levels. Our % savings are virtually none. And we wouldn't have Carney telling us ...this belief that we are so much better than USA, Europeans and Japan is soo wrong!

As far as Florida statement: I'm actually looking into it right now! 1,200 sqf in Tampa for $60K ... If CAN$ goes to 1.10 I'll be making 10% on the exchange .. I'm tracking a number of properties there and will quite possible make my move.
Fundamentals do make sense there based on the experience of my close friend latelly. Return around 8%. Plus my favorite part: buy low sell high.

Japan's Nikkei -14%

I am not sure what the trigger's going to be. The structural problem is that these prices are result of a) cheap money / low interest rates and b) foreign speculators. Those fully leveraged will be the actually cause of our "adjustment".

Japan's Nikkei -14%

Very grim news at 7.00am today, Tuesday.

North Amnerican futures markets down by 200 points. Radiation level up sharply in Tokyo. Threat of a reactor meltdown increased.

I am going for a short swim. Cancelling appointments for the day. Will be watching news and posts on this thread starting around 9.00am.

^^^
Ka1;
It is somewhat ironic if you refer to my post in which I said the problem with all the best made plans is that events occur that one cannot possibly predict using sound economic theory or logical business concepts.
"Japan stock crash threatens global markets" is very frightening.
Out of curiousity, why are you cancelling appointments for the day and watching the news. Do you plan to cash out significantly or entirely from the market?
I ask because the rest who may not be as focused as you won't do so.
Remember my other post: Real estate, especially higher end product (and I consider $800/sq.ft. for a condo (2 bedroom) higher end product is dependent on what the stock market does and the wealth effect and how people view their net worth. You saw in 2008-2009 with the threat of a financial meltdown a 15% drop over about 7-8 months in Toronto real estate. What if we start to see another significant decline in the stock markets, perhaps not 50% but say 20-25%. Are people going to feel comfortable plunking down $800K to a million dollars for a property.
My point: psychological mind sets change very quickly and because real estate has been commodisized to a degree; fear and greed and propelling it which in the past was not the case when it was just shelter.
My suggestion; have some money out on the sidelines to buy back in the market(stock) if it goes down significantly and make sure you have your payments for the property you are purchasing secure. Personally, the money for my SL is now sitting in a boring GIC at 2% but I will have the money there (barring the major Canadian bank failing) to close mine.

^^^
Ka1;
It is somewhat ironic if you refer to my post in which I said the problem with all the best made plans is that events occur that one cannot possibly predict using sound economic theory or logical business concepts.
"Japan stock crash threatens global markets" is very frightening.
Out of curiousity, why are you cancelling appointments for the day and watching the news. Do you plan to cash out significantly or entirely from the market?
I ask because the rest who may not be as focused as you won't do so.
Remember my other post: Real estate, especially higher end product (and I consider $800/sq.ft. for a condo (2 bedroom) higher end product is dependent on what the stock market does and the wealth effect and how people view their net worth. You saw in 2008-2009 with the threat of a financial meltdown a 15% drop over about 7-8 months in Toronto real estate. What if we start to see another significant decline in the stock markets, perhaps not 50% but say 20-25%. Are people going to feel comfortable plunking down $800K to a million dollars for a property.
My point: psychological mind sets change very quickly and because real estate has been commodisized to a degree; fear and greed and propelling it which in the past was not the case when it was just shelter.
My suggestion; have some money out on the sidelines to buy back in the market(stock) if it goes down significantly and make sure you have your payments for the property you are purchasing secure. Personally, the money for my SL is now sitting in a boring GIC at 2% but I will have the money there (barring the major Canadian bank failing) to close mine.

Back