News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 495     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

And just to touch on the subject of rents in the core from about a week ago, check this blog by Lafleur. Yes, I know he is a realtor, but it's always interesting to hear these types of stories 'from the trenches':

Source: http://www.truecondos.com/rental-market-continues-to-soar/

that's just hype .... nothing spectacular.

it's a large 749 sq ft 1 bedroom unit with parking with an unobstructed (for now) east exposure.
at $1950/m (less $100 for parking) for 749 sq ft = $31.24 per sq ft / year ...
that's just within the lower range of what new construction projects are renting for of $30-36 per sq ft / year.
rents have remained stagnant for a decade.

Last edited:
^ Agreed. On a cost per square foot basis, that's actually a little lower than I would hope for as an investor. High $30s per sq.ft. in annual rent is a more accurate figure in the prime downtown sector.

Oh OK, so it looks like my guess was correct. Thanks UD. Not surprising since it priced similarly to EDS which is a far superior project.

Last edited:
From the National Post - some interesting statistics

On this Canada Day long weekend, who is the average Canadian — financially speaking? According to the Association for Canadian Studies, our median household income is $68,560 per year. Personal incomes are lowest in Prince Edward Island at $21,620 and highest in Alberta at $36,010. We pay $11,000 per year in income tax, donate $260 to charity, contribute $2,790 to our RRSPs and carry a credit card balance of $3,462. Mortgage and household debt comes in at a total of $112,329.
Our net worth per capita has continued to rise, most recently clocking in at $193,500 per capita according to Statistics Canada. Real estate gains have continued to drive the increase to our net worth, though many have suggested the Canadian market could be in for a correction — or at least a pause.[/B]The Toronto Stock Exchange has risen 59% over the past 10 years, compared with a 3% gain for the MSCI World Index and a 4% loss for the S&P 500 (excluding dividends).
Our Canadian dollar has appreciated 47% against the U.S. dollar and 16% against the euro over the past 10 years. This has made global and U.S. stock market returns even worse in Canadian dollar terms.
Canada had a double-digit personal savings rate in the ’90s, but over the past two decades, this has dropped dramatically to the current 3.1% — one of the lowest savings rates of all OECD countries. The flipside of this coin is that our current personal debt to income has simultaneously reached an all-time high of 153%. So gains in real estate and stocks have been tempered by a corresponding increase in personal debt. The Economist Intelligence Unit lists Canada’s government debt per person at about US$39,883 or 81.6% of GDP. This compares with the U.S. at $37,953 or 76.3%. Go figure! That said, Greece’s public debt is currently $35,874 or 141.0% and Japan is at $87,601 or 204.9%.
Canada’s federal government has been consistently posting budget surpluses of about 1% of GDP since the mid-1990s, a time when many people thought Canada was on the path to a sovereign debt crisis of its own. Quite to the contrary, Canada entered and emerged from the 2008 recession relatively unscathed. And this is the asterisk beside Canada’s 81.6% debt-to-GDP ratio when compared with the 76.3% figure for the U.S. — given our neighbours are currently spending US$1.50 for every US$1 of federal revenue. Call it a “Tale of Two Countries.”

Question for those in the mortgage industry.

I got pre-approved for a pre-construction condo when I purchased it a few years ago. Is my pre-approval null and void now? Will I now have to get re-approved under the new guidelines?

I'm going to talk to the bank, but I trust you guys more than the lady that pre-approved me...lol. Pretty bad, huh?

I'm looking at MLS and it is SHOCKING to see the number of condos available for sale in the downtown core area. Some buildings have 30 plus units listed.

Does anyone have inside knowledge whether MLS is accurate or if these listings could be over or understated? For instance, how long does it take a listing to be taken off MLS after it is sold? How long does it take for a listing to show up on MLS for the public to see?

Also curious to know whether there are buildings where developers still have several dozen unsold units and are listing them slowly on MLS with a private agent. I have a feeling that because each floor is identical, they just release 1 unit at a time.

I'm looking at MLS and it is SHOCKING to see the number of condos available for sale in the downtown core area. Some buildings have 30 plus units listed.

Does anyone have inside knowledge whether MLS is accurate or if these listings could be over or understated? For instance, how long does it take a listing to be taken off MLS after it is sold? How long does it take for a listing to show up on MLS for the public to see?

Also curious to know whether there are buildings where developers still have several dozen unsold units and are listing them slowly on MLS with a private agent. I have a feeling that because each floor is identical, they just release 1 unit at a time.

i'm not a realtor but he's my opinion and observations.

i find that MLS doesn't actually reflect all products that are for sale.
for some reason, not everything is listed there.
there have been instances where i know a house/condo is for sale with a realtor but can't be found on MLS.
therefore, IMO, it's under-representing what's truly for sale.

I have been told that MLS.ca is delayed by a few days.

When listed my place last year, it showed up within 24 hours after I filled out the form with my agent.

Once it was sold, it was removed within 24 hours.

While searching for places, I found most sold properties were removed promptly as well.

Its funny I heard 88 Scott was doing well. Not sure about the rest.

Any idea if Monde will finally drop their prices ! How else do they plan on selling the remaining units ?

When listed my place last year, it showed up within 24 hours after I filled out the form with my agent.

Once it was sold, it was removed within 24 hours.

While searching for places, I found most sold properties were removed promptly as well.

Agreed, most of the listings are updated within a day or so. If a condo building is showing 30 units for sale on MLS, chances are, there really are 30-some-odd units for sale!

Back