News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

AWFUL Shoreline Food, Island Food

I made my first trip to Toronto Island last month. I was so surprised to see how run down parts of the Island are. Those water fountains they have through out the island look like they are from the 60s or 70s they need some up dating.

Or at least spiffing-up. Actually, I think a lot of the 60s physical infrastructure on the Island is now teetering on the brink of being embraced as heritage...

Then of course there is the issue of the docks and the Ferries. The Docks were built in 1970 or so. 38 years later, nothing has changed. When you try to get to or from the Island in 2008 on a long weekend, it's a nightmare. I don't even bother trying anymore.

2 + hours waiting. Herded like downed cattle into an abattoir. It's like a scene out of Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS.

I agree, MP. In the "buildings you'd like to demolish" thread from several months ago, I argued that the Queen's Quay ferry terminal is the most odious building in Toronto, not just because it's monstrously ugly, but because it lowers one of the most romantic and quintessentially Toronto adventures - escaping to the Islands - in the most reprehensible way, where you are coralled into a locked holding pen like a POW or a chattel slave awaiting shipment.

I agree, MP. In the "buildings you'd like to demolish" thread from several months ago, I argued that the Queen's Quay ferry terminal is the most odious building in Toronto, not just because it's monstrously ugly, but because it lowers one of the most romantic and quintessentially Toronto adventures - escaping to the Islands - in the most reprehensible way, where you are coralled into a locked holding pen like a POW or a chattel slave awaiting shipment.

lol

When I went to the Islands a few weeks ago I said pretty much the same thing to my friends.

It would be nice to see a remake of that area.

Yes the Rectory and the Karma Cafe are good.

But, the rest of the Island is a culinary DISASTER.

There are 6 nameless snack bars serving slop -- and serving with enough spiteful attitude to rival a 5 Star restaurant in Paris -- you wouldn't feed a dog.

Then we have the Iroquois and Paradise Restaurants. Both of which are so awful you long for an evening of fine dining at Jack Astor's or Dairy Queen.

And there's another nameless " patio " type place, along with another wonderful Pizza Pizza down at the Pier.

As for the shoreline of Toronto.

Pizza Pizza. Mr. Jays Deli on the Beach. The Sunnyside Pavilion Cafe. Royal Burger. Breyers Ice Cream Parlor. And various unbelievably bad street meat stands serving what have to be the very worst hot dogs on the entire planet Earth.

It simply boggles the mind.

The shoreline and the Islands are two of Toronto's very few outstanding and beautiful features. They should be fantastic experiences from the moment step onto them. They should shine. You should be proud to take visitors there.

But what do we have? An assortment of junk food joints of the lowest order and a FERRY DOCK designed like a medieval abattoir.

Ooops. I forgot The Carousel Café.

" With a beautiful lakeside setting, the Carousel is the perfect family restaurant, capturing the spirit of Centreville. Sit back on our patio overlooking the Long Pond and enjoy a cold drink. Bright and breezy, this family style restaurant is sure to please the entire family. Dishes include fresh salads, delicious soups. "

Do you get the sense they're trying to say something here?

Ooops. I forgot The Carousel Café.

" With a beautiful lakeside setting, the Carousel is the perfect family restaurant, capturing the spirit of Centreville. Sit back on our patio overlooking the Long Pond and enjoy a cold drink. Bright and breezy, this family style restaurant is sure to please the entire family. Dishes include fresh salads, delicious soups. "

Do you get the sense they're trying to say something here?

uhh...bring the family??

Then of course there is the issue of the docks and the Ferries. The Docks were built in 1970 or so. 38 years later, nothing has changed. When you try to get to or from the Island in 2008 on a long weekend, it's a nightmare. I don't even bother trying anymore.

2 + hours waiting. Herded like downed cattle into an abattoir. It's like a scene out of Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Typical of the lack of planning of any sort in this city. They refuse to take debit or credit cards. And what's with the idiotic use of manpower when the clown at the booth gives you tickets, which then you have to pass to another clown at a secondary gate behind the main gate?

The entire islands are stuck in the '70s.

However, having said that, there was a fantastic beach party on Sunday - licensed, BTW, at Hanlans. About 700 semi-naked people showed up. Of course, the event wasn't planned by the city, so it was a success.

imo if the city handle the ferries and spruced up the Island, it could be a real money making tool.

So many people go already to the Island.

Exactly. Just made the trip this labour day weekend with out of town guest and while I expected a crowd, what I encountered was horrendous. Felt like what I imagined it was like to be processed through immigration at Elis Island (even though I was getting on a boat not off).

Here's a novel idea, half the wait is the line to pay for your tickets (for which they don't take credit or debit, probably because of processing delay it would cause which would add up), so why not allow people to buy tickets in advance on the net. This would be so simple.

I love the Island and think they are a great asset but it's rediculous that it took me 90 minuites to get to them (and I live downtown -- only 20 minutes was spent walking to the docs).

And while I agree that the city could update some of the facilities in other ways they keep it quite nice. The gardens on centre island (where that fountain is, as you approach the beach) are pretty well kept and manicured.

Sklar

Here's a novel idea, half the wait is the line to pay for your tickets (for which they don't take credit or debit, probably because of processing delay it would cause which would add up), so why not allow people to buy tickets in advance on the net. This would be so simple.

Typical of the lack of planning of any sort in this city. They refuse to take debit or credit cards. And what's with the idiotic use of manpower when the clown at the booth gives you tickets, which then you have to pass to another clown at a secondary gate behind the main gate?

Credit cards are accepted at the booth on the far right, but requires a minimum amount of $50. You shouldn't need to use credit/debit anyway for $6.50 fare.

I purchase my tickets ahead of time by buying a roll of 10 (which also gives a discount). This lets me go to the second "clown" and bypass the line. You can also buy tickets at the machine next to the second "clown" most weekends (except for special events and long weekend days).

I agree that the whole lineup situation is a mess, though. I find it incredibly frustrating when I'm trying to go to Hanlan's, but have to wait in a lineup where 95% of the people are going to Centre. The fare gates though, are a form of de facto crowd control at the dock, which makes sense on a busy day... but again, only for the Centre Island bound passengers.

However, having said that, there was a fantastic beach party on Sunday - licensed, BTW, at Hanlans. About 700 semi-naked people showed up. Of course, the event wasn't planned by the city, so it was a success.

Yeah, somehow I can see you among those Pride Parade nudists
family_guy_ipecac.JPG

Back