News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 694     0 

Automobiles that are "MADE IN CANADA" and were only sold there also...

Long Island Mike

Member Bio
Reaction score
Everyone: In the City Photos section recently pics were posted of a 1964 Mercury Meteor - a car make that was made in Canada
and only sold there.

It got me thinking: How many types of automobiles were made in Canada strictly for the Canadian market by the Big Three North American automakers or for that matter any other NA makers if anyone does know?

Another memory I have is from my September 1985 trip to Ontario and Quebec-I kept noticing a car brand that I never saw before-HYUNDAI-and I wondered what they were since I never previously noticed them before-I recall that soon afterward
they began sales in the US and one of their first commercials mentioned that they had become the top-selling import in Canada
in that mid-80s time period...South Korea's introduction to the import car market.
Were there ever any imports that were strictly sold in Canada but not the USA if anyone knows?
The UT membership seems knowledgeable to answer these questions...

Long Island Mike

Acura EL and Acura CSX (both based on the Honda Civic), both made here in Ontario in Alliston at the same plant as the Civics.

In a late 1950's vacation trip to Mexico I noticed a few "Mexico" only variations on the road such as a Plymouth badged "DeSoto" and fitted up with a Desoto grill. I don't know if Chrysler was building cars in Mexico at that time.

Last edited:
Ladas and Skodas were imported into Canada in the 1980s and were not uncommon... I don't think they were imported into the US, were they?

When did we last have a canadian auto-company, not owned by US firms? How were those cars?

There's plenty of Canadian car companies. Several super car companies in Quebec for example. The Campagna T-Rex trike comes to mind http://www.campagnamotors.com/ , and another new Quebec super
car company HTT produces the Plethore http://www.httsupercar.com/en/index.html

Then there was Zenn Motors which assembled kits from France as all electric mini cars--but not very successfully, and recently withdrew from the car manufacturing business. http://www.zenncars.com/

Andomano: Thanks! It shows what Ford along with Lincoln/Mercury manufactured and sold in Canada.
I would like to see similar info for GM and Chrysler and any other big NA Automaker if it is available.
LI MIKE

It got me thinking: How many types of automobiles were made in Canada strictly for the Canadian market by the Big Three North American automakers or for that matter any other NA makers if anyone does know?

A little off topic but only in Canada (when we're not talking about NAFTA) do we call the the Big 3 North Amercan. In the US, they rightly call them American car companies. And even in America, it's not so clear as indicated by Cars.com's 2009 list of the most American-made cars taking into consideration both assembly and parts:

1. Toyota Camry
2. Ford F-150
3. Chevrolet Malilbu
4. Honda Odyssey
5. Chevrolet Silverado 1500
6. Toyota Sienna
7. Toyota Tundra
8. GMC Sierra 1500
9. Ford Taurus
10. Toyota Venza

So the Camry is actually more American (oops, sorry, North American to us foks up here) than the Ford F150.

Back