Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Aura under the icy claw of Winter this morning:

aZeUShT.jpg

(From the Aura webcam found HERE )

Nice pic. Aura looks like a giant server tower looming over the city, and I can't decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

it looks like Gulliver's travel. Aura is Gulliver and all other buildings are like the tiny people.

How much more height do we have with this thing before it tops out? Isn't it supposed to start being thinner at the top? I see no sign of it yet.

How much more height do we have with this thing before it tops out? Isn't it supposed to start being thinner at the top? I see no sign of it yet.

It doesn't really get thinner at the top. The curved portion however, slices into two separate curved rooflines/fins at different heights, only from certain angles will the difference in thinness be noticeable as the western slope tapers inwards.

As seen here:

29410_1.jpg

source: http://www.northyorkcondo.ca/account/5cd00a9a2aff74a6/pages/29410_1.jpg

No! One is shorter, and its the west side thats shorter. I can not give you facts on the differences but, I am sure someone else has those figures.

Falling ice from Aura has closed the Yonge & Gerrard areas for the second day now. Could this be an issue with the design and a somewhat regular event in the winter? I also saw ice was falling from the CN tower & Scotiabank tower yesterday, heard nothing about those structures today or any closures to the areas.

Confirming that Yonge Street was closed for at least two days this week due to falling ice from Aura -- the whole area wastaped off by police, with police cars and police staff stationed around the area, etc. diverting cars and pedestrians from the area. I haven't been by yet today, so not sure if it's open yet, but I yesterday I spoke to the staff of the gym that's currently operating in Aura and they have no information whatsoever from the building on what's going on, when they problem will be sorted out, etc. Seems surprising/sad that the construction project wouldn't have a plan for how to mitigate the effects of freezing rain/ice...

Confirming that Yonge Street was closed for at least two days this week due to falling ice from Aura -- the whole area wastaped off by police, with police cars and police staff stationed around the area, etc. diverting cars and pedestrians from the area. I haven't been by yet today, so not sure if it's open yet, but I yesterday I spoke to the staff of the gym that's currently operating in Aura and they have no information whatsoever from the building on what's going on, when they problem will be sorted out, etc. Seems surprising/sad that the construction project wouldn't have a plan for how to mitigate the effects of freezing rain/ice...

When the City has to close a street because of a building problem is the building "fined" or forced to pay a street occupancy fee?

When the City has to close a street because of a building problem is the building "fined" or forced to pay a street occupancy fee?

That would be a little harsh no? Homeowners aren't usually sent the bill when a storm downs one of their trees onto a power line and closes a road, so I figure this would be the same sort of deal where the City just deals with it.

That would be a little harsh no? Homeowners aren't usually sent the bill when a storm downs one of their trees onto a power line and closes a road, so I figure this would be the same sort of deal where the City just deals with it.

There is, I think, a difference between an accident (falling trees) to what is probably a design defect (ice forming and crashing to the street). Closing streets is very expensive - directly and indirectly - to the City and to citizens (and those whose businesses are behind barriers.)

My friends and I were dodging ice falling off the 2 Bloor West and Hudson Bay Centre a couple of days ago. The ice was crashing to the ground and also onto cars and the road. Yonge and Bloor was crazy, people were running for their life when crossing the intersection. Never saw anything like that before.

I think the reason is because of the type of ice that formed during the icestorm.

Back