News   Apr 26, 2024
 161     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 423     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Asian Malls (Landmark, Pacific, Splendid China, etc.)

Mady Developments has purchased the Landmark Site for 42.5 MIL
- Apparently a Target Store is to open up on the site by 2014

This location would make a lot of sense for a new Target since the nearest will be in Bridlewood Mall and I haven't heard of any Markham locations being proposed (there were no Zellers in Markham). This part of Steeles near Markham Road is becoming big box central since there's already a Lowes and a Wal-Mart Supercentre. In the article, Mady mentions he'd like a grocery store as a tenant, and the site would be big enough for a target and a major grocery store (T&T is already next door, but the area could probably support another grocery store). I'd expect the rest of the retail that will be built to be more typical big box stores, with maybe a portion that has retail condominiums.

When did "Chinese" and "Asian" become synonymous? Pacific Mail etc are marked marketed primarily at the Chinese market, not Asians.

Asia covers 30% of the Earth's total surface area and hosts 60% of the world's current human population. There's a lot more than the Chinese people in Asia.

I imagine non-Chinese Canadians descending from Asia such as Indians, Pakistanis, Turks (from the eastern shore of the Bosphorus), Israelis, Tamils, Saudis and Siberians would find that these so called "Asian" malls are not marketed to them at all.

This reminds me of the MacLean's article on UofT being too Asian, when it should have said (assuming their premise was correct) UofT was too Chinese.

I am a Brit-born European. If you opened a mall marketed to Russians from west of the Caucasus Mountains, with Russian text and Russian clothes, etc. would you call it a European Mall? There'd certainly be nothing specifically marketed to my European background there.

Last edited:
I am a Brit-born European. If you opened a mall marketed to Russians from west of the Caucasus Mountains, with Russian text and Russian clothes, etc. would you call it a European Mall? There'd certainly be nothing specifically marketed to my European background there.

Ha ha. Yeah, I guess the only continent that could have a mall that covered all the cultural bases would be an "Antarctic mall". It would be vacant and unheated.

There's also J-town and a primarily Sri Lankan plaza nearby. The area around Steeles between the 404 and Markham Road probably has more "pan-Asian" shopping than anywhere in North America if you include all the plazas, etc.

It's true that "Asian" has become shorthand for Chinese in some circles, which is annoying. It seems to be mostly East Asians who refer to themselves as Asians though. Most South Asians seem to identify by country of extract or as "brown people." Just an observation.

The rise and fall of the ethnic mall
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...all-of-the-ethnic-mall/article4277988/?page=1

Charles Mady, the chief operating officer of Mady Development, says he plans to turn it into a mainstream mall rather than keeping it Chinese-themed.

That’s the direction the Remington Centre, proposed at Kennedy and Steeles, is headed. It’s one of the lone projects on track, but it’s changed its marketed identity over time. It’s to be built on the site of Market Village – another Chinese mall – which sits beside Pacific Mall.

“We wouldn’t see it as a risky gamble [to open a mall at that location] because we do have the data supporting our project: the population growth, the expansion of the York Region,” said Albert Yong, director of sales and leasing for the Remington Centre.

While it was first promoted as a Chinese-themed mall, Mr. Yong describes it now as a “crossover mainstream mall” – presumably fewer bubble-tea shops and a retailer mix similar to that of the Eaton Centre. It will be connected to Pacific Mall, though Sam Cohen, Pacific’s developer, said it’s too early to discuss the details of the double-mall project.

One of the only projects currently underway is King Square – a million-square-foot Chinese mall at Woodbine and 16th Avenue. Construction began in March, according to a receptionist at the project’s head office, but it’s been a long time coming.

What if one wants to buy toys and other gifts that are mainly found in East Asia, such as plush Nintendo toys? I hardly see any Western places selling such toys. For example, the plush Kirby toy I have shown below, I purchased it in Pacific Mall. Note that the toy is meant for Japanese distribution.

myplushkirby.jpg

What if one wants to buy toys and other gifts that are mainly found in East Asia, such as plush Nintendo toys? I hardly see any Western places selling such toys. For example, the plush Kirby toy I have shown below, I purchased it in Pacific Mall. Note that the toy is meant for Japanese distribution.

myplushkirby.jpg

I see a small handful of young women who have such a collection in their cars, but that's it. Not too many people do this around here, especially CBCs.

I see a small handful of young women who have such a collection in their cars, but that's it. Not too many people do this around here, especially CBCs.
Now there is a very good reason why these toys are so hard to find yet are quite popular, hence the reason why I shop in Asian malls for such toys.

When others see my collection of plush toys, they often ask me where to get them, because they simply cannot find them in conventional toy stores.

Now there is a very good reason why these toys are so hard to find yet are quite popular, hence the reason why I shop in Asian malls for such toys.

When others see my collection of plush toys, they often ask me where to get them, because they simply cannot find them in conventional toy stores.

There is a newly opened store in the Village By the Grange that sells Japanese gift items and toys. It's in the corridor leading to the food court. I'm CBC too. :)

myplushkirby.jpg

Even if non-Asian stores sold this it would probably be the Americanized "Angry Kirby" version.

But yeah, I so want one of those. How much did it cost?

Back