News   Sep 06, 2024
 133     0 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 318     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 983     0 

Ashley Madison Advertising

The problem I have with this is that someone is making ad hoc moral judgements.

As far as I know, AM is a legal business providing a service to some people and has the legal right to advertise its services. I, personally, may or may not be offended by the ads but I am not sure that my personal opinion should affect the TTC's right to accept the advertising dollars.

There are other companies that I find "bothersome" that no one seems to mind their advertisements. For example, it is my personal opinion that clothing company FCUK is nothing but a blatant attempt to put another word in the minds of people (surely we have all seen the internet email that shows you can write a whole paragraph of rearragned words and people can read it and comprehend it....I am sure this company has)....I think, for the most part, most of the underwear advertising (both male and female) has crossed a line that I am not comfortable with being emblazened in public spaces.......but, regardless of my opinion, I accept that they are all legal and the companies have a right to advertise....I as a consumer have a right to vote with my dollars........I fail to see how the AM ad campaign would have been any different.

As far as I know, AM is a legal business providing a service to some people and has the legal right to advertise its services. I, personally, may or may not be offended by the ads but I am not sure that my personal opinion should affect the TTC's right to accept the advertising dollars.
TTC has a right to accept the advertising but not an obligation to do so. Given its status as a public-owned system with political oversight, clearly the Commission was uncomfortable with the implied endorsement of its service.

More to the point, given TTC's policy on dealing with advertising complaints, there was no chance that AM's advertising - had it actually gone on vehicles - would not have received enough complaints to result in swift removal.

In the end, AM knew full well that they would be rejected but - as they were very clear about - the political fuss provided them with free advertising that went well beyond having their logo on a handful of streetcars. Quite brilliantly done on their part.

TTC has a right to accept the advertising but not an obligation to do so. Given its status as a public-owned system with political oversight, clearly the Commission was uncomfortable with the implied endorsement of its service.

More to the point, given TTC's policy on dealing with advertising complaints, there was no chance that AM's advertising - had it actually gone on vehicles - would not have received enough complaints to result in swift removal.

In the end, AM knew full well that they would be rejected but - as they were very clear about - the political fuss provided them with free advertising that went well beyond having their logo on a handful of streetcars. Quite brilliantly done on their part.

I understand they have the right but not the obligation....its just the ad hoc nature of those decisions and, perhaps, there should be some statement about what is and isn't acceptable. Would they accept ads from gambling sites? Gambling, like dating services, is legal but some think it will lead to the ruination of society ;)

It appeared to me that the TTC was inclined to go with the campaign for revenue purposes. Then when it hit the news they backed off.....is that anyway to run these decisions?

So, while I don't dispute their right to take or not take ads...I just think it should be more predictable and transparant what passes and what does not pass.

Personally I will have to accept the TTC's right to make a moral judgement on what will appear on it's vehicles. However I'll bring up, as another poster did (though differently), that the TTC allows adds for dating agencies that set up wealthy men with "beautiful" women. Isn't this a form of materialization of women? How do you feel about the morality of a service such as this?

Furthermore (and I know this will be a touchy subject) but homosexuality is still viewed by many religions as immoral, what would you say should the TTC ban the gay connection dating services from advertising on their system?

Bottom line is that it's the TTC's choice as to what it will accept in terms of advertising.

Back