News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Argos interested in moving to BMO Field

I bet Ted Rogers would hold their arses to the flame if they wanted to rent the Skydome for a Grey Cup after they've turned their back on it and went to BMO.

Ted Rogers owns the Argo's... so this move is his choice. If he wants to move back to the Skydome, well... thats up to him too.

David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski are the owners. The team just has a deal to play out of the Rogers Centre.

Argos shafted MLSE and two Universities by dropping out of the stadium projects at York and U of T.

Now they want in at BMO field. :confused:

I think it's just a ploy to get a sweeter deal at Rogers Centre.

Ted Rogers has been laughing at taxpayers quite openly since he picked up a stadium which cost over half a billion for $25m. Compared to that what Cynamon and Sokolowski did to UofT is chickenfeed.

I'd love to see the Preservation Board slap a heritage designation on Skydome to prevent the inevitable application to build an 80,000 stadium on the site for the Toronto Bills and thereby wipe the grin off his face.

I'd love to see the Preservation Board slap a heritage designation on Skydome to prevent the inevitable application to build an 80,000 stadium on the site for the Toronto Bills and thereby wipe the grin off his face.

That sounds scary. :eek: You think Rogers would even consider tearing down the SkyDome? I'm not sure it would be feasible financially to do so. He will have lost the cost of buying the building, upgrading it and then will spend money tearing down that heap of concrete (would take years to take it apart safely I assume) and then have the cost of building the new one.

If the Bills come to Toronto, I would expect a new stadium to be built, perhaps in the Portlands where there's tons of space at the moment.

I don't think the SkyDome will be gone any time soon.

Oh absolutely. If anything, Rogers will demand the city give him free land (and subsidies) for a new stadium, and then abandon SkyDome like Olympic Stadium in Montreal. It's not like he paid anything for it.

Thanks for reminding me. Skydome should have been suggested to Dave LeBlanc for its conversion possibilities prior to last Friday's Globe article...

Back